AI update

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

Re: AI update

Postby Krapougnak » 15 Jan 2016, 17:15

Glad to hear you are still working on Loud. I have a brand new computer now, maybe it is time I give your work another try, I'll see if the link you sent me is still working and download the last version of your work for an AI vs AI session (will also serve to test my new pc power).
Krapougnak
Contributor

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: Krapougnak

Postby Sprouto » 15 Jan 2016, 22:47

We have a program which will update you completely, drop me a PM and I'll get you hooked up.
Sprouto
Priest

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 74 times
FAF User Name: Sprouto

Postby Krapougnak » 18 Jan 2016, 20:39

Sprouto wrote:We have a program which will update you completely, drop me a PM and I'll get you hooked up.

Done
Krapougnak
Contributor

Postby Krapougnak » 25 Jan 2016, 12:41

Tested LOUD this w-e with 4 AI battling each other on Isis (2 vs 2). It was fun to watch and the AIs really looked more responsive and intelligent (love the formations and the missions assigned to group of units) but at the expense of terrain features. On most of your maps you seem to have get ridden of impassable terrain to make AI's life easier... .

When I tried on a "normal map" there was still the terrain levelling feature and the AI were less efficient while still much better than vanilla AI or even Sorian.

Good and impressive work. I specially commend the selection of units you did from several mods. They fit harmoniously and efficiently!
Krapougnak
Contributor

Postby justmakenewgame » 25 Jan 2016, 13:05

interesting. Can you guide me a little on where to start where are the files ets.
better colors for FA - forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5434&start=30#p106723
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3--CgLvJGpk

<Aurand> dogler; you made bad decisions
justmakenewgame

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 23 times
FAF User Name: justmakenewgame

Postby Sprouto » 25 Jan 2016, 19:43

Thanks Krapougnak. We do indeed do some editing of maps, but as you rightly point out, it's often done to alleviate nasty movement bottlenecks. While the AI is indeed fairly good at getting around, there are just some terrain situations that will screw things up, often leaving platoons 'hung' up and unable to carry on. Most of our editing is done using the Hazard Marker Editor, since most maps either have no AI markers (or an incomplete set) or have serious problems that will affect the AI. I've become rather proficient in that regard, in particular understanding how the AI perceives a map and how the placement of the markers will affect his decision making process and why.

The terraforming is about to get revised (scaled-down) as I'm just in the process of introducing a whole set of smaller footprint MAIN base layouts, specifically used on smaller (20km and less) maps or in low-pop configurations.

Aside from the AI, LOUD covers a lot of things, and the unit selection, from Black Ops, Total Mayhem, 4DC and others, has been cherry picked to avoid duplication of function, and to play up some of the factional diversity that make the various factions what they are, and of course, to feature some of the spectacular models that others have created over the years.

Perhaps what we are most proud of is the overall performance increase, in particular for large unit counts and large maps - and that translates well to the entire game, PvP or AI based.

Just a question though. Did you have any trouble with the installation and were the instructions clear enough? I ask as we are re-writing the installer so that a user can switch easily between LOUD and his original configuration at will.

For others who are interested, drop me a PM and I'll send you the link to the installer.
Sprouto
Priest

Postby Krapougnak » 31 Jan 2016, 10:16

Concerning the installation :

I would also add the "bin" folder to the back-up list before installing as your installer changes files there too.

For an unknown reason the installation process bugged towards the end and couldn't complete (towards the maps and video part) but that didn't seemed to prevent the use of LOUD as I could launch and play the game normally.

All the backing files system makes it a bit painful to install as you have to be very careful and do a lot of cut/paste. So when you want to play with LOUD it is not an easy switch.

Also you cannot choose what files to install so for example if you don't want all the maps you cannot choose to opt out during installation process.

Other than that the installer did all the work downloading and installing the files.

Concerning units selection I had just a small comment with the caveat that I only played 2 games with LOUD, the AI when building Experimentals seems to have a strong preference towards TotalMAyhem units (and marginally BlackOps) as I don't recall seeing any MonkeyLord, Megalith, FatBoy or Collosus. Is this voluntary ?

Please let us know when you release a new version of LOUD AI. :)
Krapougnak
Contributor

Postby Sprouto » 31 Jan 2016, 21:15

Thanks -- I'll make sure that the 'bin' folder gets covered. We have almost completed a set of changes to our installer which will make switching back and forth between your current installation and LOUD painless. I expect it will be available this week in fact and I hope this will encourage more folks to give LOUD a try If only to see what it can do.

One of the reasons we have our own set of maps is pretty simple. We've really learned a lot about how to make the best use of the markers, not only for path issues, but in making the AI adaptive to a wide variety of situations. All of the maps included with our installer have been re-marked (and as previously pointed out, some have been edited) to give the best experience possible. In particular, we no longer use the 'rally point' marker, as LOUD will configure it's own rally points. Likewise, the Protected Experimental Area marker has been made obsolete by LOUDs' logic. We also have created a number of 40km expansions of favorite 20km maps -- since LOUD is really designed for LARGE maps.

If you already have the updater, simply running it will bring you up to the current version, which is updated most every week. Terminator any myself are looking forward to some new interest in LOUD.

As for unit selection, most of the Total Mayhem experimentals filled out what should be considered the LIGHT experimental category -- and since their eco demands are lower, the AI will often consider them ahead of the heavy experimentals. Monekylord and Fatboy are considered MEDIUM experimentals due to their slightly higher requirements. All the experimentals are in there, just the AI has so many more to choose from and he bases his choice on his eco now rather than randomly.
Sprouto
Priest

Postby xermit » 02 Oct 2016, 14:16

Hi guys! Sorry for noob question, but where can i download LOUD AI? I like playing with AIs and will test it with pleasure! Thx.
xermit

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: xermit

Postby Sprouto » 02 Oct 2016, 20:24

If you drop me a PM with your email address, I'll forward you the installer which will get you going.

Our installer will allow you to keep your existing installation with all your existing mods - and install LOUD independantly, with the ability to switch back and forth as needed.
Sprouto
Priest

PreviousNext

Return to Contributors