SCU Preset Refinements

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

Re: SCU Preset Refinements

Postby IceDreamer » 02 Oct 2014, 15:41

zeroAPM wrote:So, some preset will benefit from adjacency while others not
And upgrades "on the field" will not benefit from it

Not to be a buzzkill but this is eerily close to what is called "Coding by exception".

It is :( However, this is why I work the way I do. All I do is try to put the code in place. It's up to the players who know what they're on about to tell me which bits of code should actually be used :) If they tell me some upgrades should have the bonus and some shouldn't, it's not up to me to argue.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby zeroAPM » 02 Oct 2014, 15:48

I'd say to take this:

Phlegm wrote:A way to automatically upgrade SCUs is already in the game: SCU auto-upgrade markers.

You can place them whereever you like, and when a blank SCU becomes idle near them, it will automatically start the all upgrades defined by the type of marker (combat/engineer path).

You have to define a key for it, and when you set the marker, a popup asks you to choose "combat" or "engineering" path.
Those are the same paths that you can configure if you have an idle and "blank" SCU.

The config of those two upgrade paths is near the commander icon, on the right: Two very small icons will appear, and with right click you can set the upgrades for each "upgrade path" as you like.

If you left click on one of those icons, all currently idle blank SCUs will start to upgrade in this configured path. They also will be in the corresponding set of "idle engineers", in the extended view, at the top.

To auto-upgrade freshly built SCUs, just place an auto-upgrade marker somewhere, and set the rally path of the quantum gateway near it. Done.
Finished SCUs will walk over to the marker and automatically upgrade to the path configured for the marker.

And "merge" it with the Quantum Gateway (eg: SACU get built, automatically start upgrading).

And to make combat/engineering SACUs more appetizing, a small reduction in cost for some upgrades.

Creating multiple exceptions (most of wich will be completely alien to someone that played a lot of SupCom but just started with FAF and hasn't scurried the forum) to the mechanics just make it confusing and, more importantly, risk to turn new players away from the game, wich is something that should be avoided.
zeroAPM
Priest

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: Impressingbutton

Postby CrayzyNath » 02 Oct 2014, 18:57

Pls do nerf lategame eco. THX :-D
CrayzyNath

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: CrayzyNath

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 19 Oct 2014, 23:36

When you are making on sacu present, and other path stuff.. we have one time long discusion (what bronksanity delete (ghhhr!) about my very long post with my idea, you was mostly aginst, but i remmeber that you say on some part that it is good and you will like to have in game. Pls take you time, read it again, and try transform it on game.

http://forums.faforever.com/forums//vie ... 75cb3541ee
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby Androish » 04 Dec 2014, 19:45

So was this put in the bin? Aka wont happen?
Androish

Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: Androish

Postby IceDreamer » 04 Dec 2014, 21:39

The code is around, but this is a balance discussion which needs to be had.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Androish » 07 Dec 2014, 04:43

It is alot of work to put it in a mod? I'm sure the Phantom community at least wuld give it a try :)
Androish

Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: Androish

Postby ghostronin » 15 Feb 2015, 19:36

Is there an updated list of each of the base upgrades included in the various presets for each faction?

ghost
ghostronin
Crusader

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: ghostronin

Previous

Return to Contributors