Modular units and weapons

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

Modular units and weapons

Postby A_vehicle » 30 Jul 2014, 02:25

This is in response to the following thread:
http://www.faforever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=7289
I didn't want to necro it.

There was an old mod that gave certain large units from vanilla supcom modular weapons. It's in the old archived vault and is called "Modular Damage".

Link to gpg forum page: http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=16876

Download link for the mod from archived vault: http://gpgnet.obliteratingwave.co.uk/Vault/Individual-Mods/Modular%20Damage.rar

I have tested it and it works with FAF. It just needs some ironing out and some TLC for the Seraphim units (which came out after the mod stopped being developed). I haven't been able to add more modules to other units myself yet, but until I do I invite others to mess with it as well (or just drool over it).

The reason I brought this up is because I want to hear what other people think about making units in supcom FAF modular so that certain parts of them can be disabled.
Typical Voodoo Edition Map Dialog:
Master_lee wrote:Varaxis ist loser vote all my maps 1 !!! he cant make maps noob go home !!!!!!

Padfoot141 wrote:Terrible map. Spawn with 6 commanders and there are civillians with fatboys.

Master_lee wrote:Padfoot141 go home loser ! go play thermo !
A_vehicle

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: A_vehicle

Re: Modular units and weapons

Postby Gerfand » 30 Jul 2014, 03:10

I already saw that(the old GPG mod) in a game called Star Wars Empire At War...
the system kind sucked because you wanted to destroy the unit, and every one fired on a weapon system, but the weapon get destroyed and you lose a lot of shoots...

but if this don't happens her, and the weapons be very easy to repair, fine... for a mod!
Gerfand

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby A_vehicle » 01 Aug 2014, 03:09

You are right, modular damage is really hard to implement. Really, the best way to implement it into a game that would seem realistic is if the game engine used soft body physics, which is impossible in Supcom FAF because we don't have the source code for the engine. Also, it would probably be kind of complicated and time intensive to do.
Typical Voodoo Edition Map Dialog:
Master_lee wrote:Varaxis ist loser vote all my maps 1 !!! he cant make maps noob go home !!!!!!

Padfoot141 wrote:Terrible map. Spawn with 6 commanders and there are civillians with fatboys.

Master_lee wrote:Padfoot141 go home loser ! go play thermo !
A_vehicle

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: A_vehicle

Postby zeroAPM » 01 Aug 2014, 13:22

Could the turret be approximated to a separate unit though? With it's own hp and get disabled when it reaches 0.

Blackops already do this to an extent with a uef exp having drones
zeroAPM
Priest

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: Impressingbutton

Postby Resin_Smoker » 02 Aug 2014, 02:04

The big problem with modular damage is that not all unit models would work well in such a system. Reason being, some unit models are just one huge continuous mesh and thus removing / hiding parts would be difficult without individual bones defined for each major section of the unit.
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 106 times

Return to Contributors