Aeon naval units muzzle effects delay

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

Re: Aeon naval units muzzle effects delay

Postby Ze_PilOt » 25 Jul 2014, 10:59

I don't know what fix you are talking about but the turret is still broken for seraphim.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Resin_Smoker » 25 Jul 2014, 15:48

Ze_PilOt wrote:I don't know what fix you are talking about but the turret is still broken for seraphim.

If specifics can be provided i can look at this to see if a fix is possible.

Pics, video, descriptions ect.
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 106 times

Postby zeroAPM » 25 Jul 2014, 16:57

zeroAPM
Priest

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: Impressingbutton

Postby IceDreamer » 25 Jul 2014, 21:15

Krapougnak wrote:Yep it was the "beam weapons mod" by ???, some of it was integrated in a FAF patch if I remember correctly.

Yeah, it was me, and it affected how well the weapons retargeted so that the sweep was smoother. It was a workaround to slightly reduce the problem. The Cybran laser was only fixed because it is now not a laser, but a homing projectile, and even now it can STILL miss the target.

The problem is that laser weapons aim at where the bone will be in one tick's time, and the hitboxes only update every couple of ticks. Domino pointed this out. AFAIK there is no way to fix the fundamental problem. I was going to attempt to reduce the issue further (It's a huge problem with GC vs SCUs) but I have been thwarted by the fact that there appears to be no way to adjust hitbox size/position on-the-fly from ingame.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Resin_Smoker » 25 Jul 2014, 23:39

IceDreamer wrote:
Krapougnak wrote: I was going to attempt to reduce the issue further (It's a huge problem with GC vs SCUs) but I have been thwarted by the fact that there appears to be no way to adjust hitbox size/position on-the-fly from ingame.

You can adjust size/position on-the-fly....but it wouldn't be fast enough to compensate for the hit-box offset or what i call "hit-box drag".
This is part of why all aircraft have such HUGE hit-boxes relative to their mesh size. The speeding aircraft can often leave their hit-boxes trailing behind them and thus the hit box is simplified (sphere shaped) and overly large to compensate for the drag effects.

P.S. This is something that Domino and I have been aware of for 3-4 years now.

Resin
Last edited by Resin_Smoker on 25 Jul 2014, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Postby Resin_Smoker » 25 Jul 2014, 23:44

Oh i forgot to mention that it is also possible to offset a hit-box ahead of a unit as it moves faster. The idea being the faster a unit travels, the more of the hit-box will be over the unit at any given point in time, if it's pushed further ahead. Now while this is possible, the drag is still somewhat evident and can negatively impact the SIM speed with each hit-box adjusting position frequently.
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Postby zeroAPM » 26 Jul 2014, 00:29

Could be possible to approximate a laser to a rapid stream of extremely fast (ie: near-hitscan) projectiles? Like the current cybran turret but even faster?
zeroAPM
Priest

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: Impressingbutton

Postby IceDreamer » 26 Jul 2014, 13:37

Resin_Smoker wrote:
IceDreamer wrote:
Krapougnak wrote: I was going to attempt to reduce the issue further (It's a huge problem with GC vs SCUs) but I have been thwarted by the fact that there appears to be no way to adjust hitbox size/position on-the-fly from ingame.

You can adjust size/position on-the-fly....but it wouldn't be fast enough to compensate for the hit-box offset or what i call "hit-box drag".
This is part of why all aircraft have such HUGE hit-boxes relative to their mesh size. The speeding aircraft can often leave their hit-boxes trailing behind them and thus the hit box is simplified (sphere shaped) and overly large to compensate for the drag effects.

P.S. This is something that Domino and I have been aware of for 3-4 years now.

Resin

I think you misunderstand me; I don't want to change the hitbox constantly through the code, I want a way of changing it ingame via the UI. That way I can see exactly what change needs to be made to each box, rather than having to make a change, boot, check it, adjust the change, reboot, check etc. That takes forever.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Resin_Smoker » 26 Jul 2014, 16:52

IceDreamer wrote:
I think you misunderstand me; I don't want to change the hitbox constantly through the code, I want a way of changing it ingame via the UI. That way I can see exactly what change needs to be made to each box, rather than having to make a change, boot, check it, adjust the change, reboot, check etc. That takes forever.

Press the following to see the unit hit-boxes: SHIFT-CTRL-ALT-C (Cheats enabled)
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Postby Krapougnak » 27 Jul 2014, 11:07

And the mod "SafeReload" by Mithy allows you to make changes in a unit bp and see them in game immediately without rebooting the game.

http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=41121
Krapougnak
Contributor

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: Krapougnak

Previous

Return to Contributors