Ingame Unit Descriptions

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

Re: Ingame Unit Descriptions

Postby RK4000 » 25 Apr 2014, 20:55

Well, it's good, if stuff like...

"Can obstruct Mass Spots while Cloaked if the enemy has no Radar."

"Amphibious Mobile Artillery unit. Designed to engage enemy units at long range and inflict massive Damage to Buildings."

...can be fixed, as it sounds almost stupid to capitalize words like "Cloaked", "Radar", "Damage" and "Buildings" during mid-sentence. Makes no sense.
RK4000
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: RK4000

Postby IceDreamer » 25 Apr 2014, 21:07

RK4000 wrote:Well, it's good, if stuff like...

"Can obstruct Mass Spots while Cloaked if the enemy has no Radar."

"Amphibious Mobile Artillery unit. Designed to engage enemy units at long range and inflict massive Damage to Buildings."

...can be fixed, as it sounds almost stupid to capitalize words like "Cloaked", "Radar", "Damage" and "Buildings" during mid-sentence. Makes no sense.

It's just my convention, makes it look more uniform and official. All unit type proper nouns, as well as the names of abilities and functions, are capitalised. It makes them stand out, and match up with the list of unit functions on other units.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby RK4000 » 25 Apr 2014, 21:35

It makes it very annoying to read, as it does not follow basic sentence structure rules. There's a reason the original descriptions didn't capitalize stuff like this.
RK4000
Priest

Postby IceDreamer » 25 Apr 2014, 23:26

RK4000 wrote:It makes it very annoying to read, as it does not follow basic sentence structure rules. There's a reason the original descriptions didn't capitalize stuff like this.

For you, perhaps. Ingame it looks much neater, I tried it normal before. We can argue this later though, it's a simple change, what we need now are content changes.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby RK4000 » 25 Apr 2014, 23:27

It honestly looks sorta childish to capitalize stuff like this... "oh, look, that's an important word, capitalize it!". It really bothers a few people from what I've seen, just saying.
RK4000
Priest

Postby IceDreamer » 25 Apr 2014, 23:32

You've said, I disagree with you. You say childish, I say neat (Having tried both). Content!
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby Gorton » 25 Apr 2014, 23:49

I agree with RK, sorry Ice. It's not making anything more clear, just making it look wrong, to my eyes.
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby IceDreamer » 26 Apr 2014, 00:38

It can be argued later. CONTENT!
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby Sheeo » 26 Apr 2014, 07:39

I agree with RK and Gorton, no reason to invent and use custom grammar.

Now, a comment on the content:

"Houses Commander. Combination of Barracks and Command Center. Contains all the blueprints necessary to build a basic army from scratch."

I dislike the blind reference to barracks and command centre -- does it mean the ACU produces footmen? Enables tech upgrades (sure does, but not the only thing) etc..?

"Increases Rate-Of-Fire to 250%"

Annotating 2.5 projectiles/s as 250% doesn't make sense to me. I'd prefer simply "Increases firerate to 2.5 projectiles per second".

Lightly armoured fast-moving harassment unit. Poor in direct combat. Can fire from flying Air Transports.

While harassment is something players often say about raiding, I don't believe the word belongs in a unit description.
Support FAF on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/faf?ty=h

Peek at our continued development on github: https://github.com/FAForever
Sheeo
Councillor - Administrative

Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 233 times
FAF User Name: Sheeo

Postby IceDreamer » 26 Apr 2014, 07:53

Sheeo wrote:I dislike the blind reference to barracks and command centre -- does it mean the ACU produces footmen? Enables tech upgrades (sure does, but not the only thing) etc..?

Annotating 2.5 projectiles/s as 250% doesn't make sense to me. I'd prefer simply "Increases firerate to 2.5 projectiles per second".

While harassment is something players often say about raiding, I don't believe the word belongs in a unit description.

That's more like it! Okay then...

ACU description I left pretty much unchanged, partly because I can't think of where you can actually see it ingame. I don't think it appears when you hover over it, and you can't build them so...

Hmmm... I dislike saying "X per second" because the person may not know what the original was, and therefore how much of an improvement. How about "Primary Weapon now fires 2.5 times as fast." ?

I would be fine changing "Harassment" to "Raiding". Sound good?
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Contributors