Mod Unit DB

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

Mod Unit DB

Postby burnstreet » 19 Feb 2014, 20:04

copied from the concept page thread wrote:
I am working on a unit DB that - if Zep wants - can be integrated into the FAF Client and will be able to show infos for all installed mods.

this is a layout / functionality concept, please pay no attention to actual content, colors, images and design used.

I am still thinking about how to organize the information, all I am sure about until now is:
  • thematically related info will be in one box in the detail view
  • there may be additional info in the unit list, you may be able to select what is displayed there (e.g. dps, range) and how the list is sorted
  • you will probably be able to hide all but the title bar of boxes and filters
  • units and unit images in "produced by" and other boxes will get some tooltip with basic info

I am open for all kinds of suggestions, especially how to arrange all the information in the bps into boxes and how to make a compare view for multiple units other than just showing them side by side.

A somewhat simpler HTML prototype can be seen here: http://concept.burnstreet2.bplaced.net/

Ze_PilOt wrote:We already have an unit database, what would be the advantages of that one?

The current one has some bugs in the dps computation on beam weapons, did you manage to solve these kind of issues?

Planned Advantages:
  • can be integrated into faf due to the backend being python
  • can also be used as a website due to the frontend being html/js
  • can display stats of all mods
  • if integrated into faf, will detect all installed mods and show stats for them
  • direct linking from chat/mod vault to units or (filter settings, e.g. all T2 units, all BO units) would be possible
  • intelligent (faceted) search / navigation
  • easy to build a mobile friendly version
  • better usability (I hope)
  • fully themeable
  • more functionality possible:
    • units building that unit / built by that unit
    • build calculator (how long do I take and how much m/e do I need /s if I build that unit with x t1 engies, x SCUs, etc)
    • graphs (e.g. range, dps visualization)
    • maybe even showing a rendering of the unit :)

I currently have a halfway working prototype of the UI, but it is far from being really usable or complete.
I will eventually open source the code but only when the architecture I have in mind is complete or if I decide I don't have the time to finish it so somebody else can continue.

I haven't yet started on dps calculations or other fancy things because I have to get the basics right first. I'll be looking for the beam dps bug when I get there.

I plan to use the following architecture:
  1. python backend library for parsing blueprints and preprocessing data (e.g. calculating dps), filtering
  2. thin web service with only some routing and json serialization
  3. JS frontend using HTML templates
  4. integration into FAF Client via a QTWebView that displays the generated HTML, only needs access to the paths containing the mods / featured mods / FA / Vanilla
  5. if the HTML in QTWebView solution doesn't work, it would also be possible to build a QT UI that directly accesses 1.

The blueprint parsing is currently done using Raging_Squirrels blueprint parser.

Zep, would you accept that for FAF? Or if you've got questions, I'll be happy to answer :)

[edit]working preview is available: http://burnstreet2.bplaced.net/[/edit]
Last edited by burnstreet on 16 Mar 2014, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
burnstreet
Crusader

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Burnstreet

Re: Mod Unit DB

Postby Ze_PilOt » 19 Feb 2014, 20:28

If the goal is to implement it directly in the lobby, why outputting HTML tables?

Would be better to have a full python/QT4 implementation at that point.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby burnstreet » 19 Feb 2014, 20:32

Because 1. my HTML is better than my QT :) and, more importantly, 2. I also want to have it on the web, where I can look at it when I am not at home.
burnstreet
Crusader

Postby Dragonfire » 19 Feb 2014, 23:26

burnstreet wrote:Because 1. my HTML is better than my QT :) and, more importantly, 2. I also want to have it on the web, where I can look at it when I am not at home.

News andhttp://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.7/qwebview.html map vault are also html pages included into the client ...

If you better in HTML, that is a reason to imrpove your skills and try QT...
But your decision ... Both is possible ;)
My native language is not english, please correct me, because I want to improve my skills # Resource Overview
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Dragonfire

Postby burnstreet » 19 Feb 2014, 23:53

Dragonfire wrote:
burnstreet wrote:Because 1. my HTML is better than my QT :) and, more importantly, 2. I also want to have it on the web, where I can look at it when I am not at home.

News andhttp://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.7/qwebview.html map vault are also html pages included into the client ...

If you better in HTML, that is a reason to imrpove your skills and try QT...
But your decision ... Both is possible ;)

Currently I am improving my JS, which is more important because I need it for work, too. And my Python. 2 things are enough for now :)
burnstreet
Crusader

Postby Dragonfire » 20 Feb 2014, 03:26

burnstreet wrote:Currently I am improving my JS, which is more important because I need it for work, too. And my Python. 2 things are enough for now :)

If you have any problems, ask me ;)
My native language is not english, please correct me, because I want to improve my skills # Resource Overview
Dragonfire
Evaluator

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Dragonfire

Postby burnstreet » 13 Mar 2014, 09:21

Can anybody please explain to me what the problem with the beam weapon dps calculation is in the current unit db?
burnstreet
Crusader

Postby pip » 13 Mar 2014, 10:13

The problem is only for beam weapons that last a certain time (not continuous beam, like Monkeylord or GC).
For instance, the Seraphim beam weapons for T2 pd and Destroyer along with the UEF Neptune are calculated wrong. They are supposed to deal 10 times their damage because their beam duration is one second (so 10 ticks), but the DB considers they hit only 9 times.

If you shoot at a target with a Sera t2 pd, it will deal 550 damages (10*55), but the DB assumes it deals 495 (9*55).
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby burnstreet » 13 Mar 2014, 11:08

ok, that shouldn't be too hard to fix.
burnstreet
Crusader

Postby burnstreet » 16 Mar 2014, 21:10

I now have a preview version of the mod unit db on http://burnstreet2.bplaced.net/

I'd love to get feedback about it.

I am planning to open source it soon, just have to clear licensing with raging_squirrel for his lua parser before.

Help is welcome, there is enough to do to make it great:
  • graphics
    • nicer / more icons
    • layout / design elements
  • html/js: completing / improving the frontend
  • python: completing / improving the backen
burnstreet
Crusader

Next