unitsDB

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

Re: unitsDB

Postby spooky9 » 02 Dec 2013, 21:08

alpha release available here: http://spooky.github.io/unitdb

Note that this still has quite a few things that need to be done (starting with the essence - unit details) but the unit list is there and the overall 'feel' - so I'd like to see how this thing is received.
The performance needs work, so be patient until everything loads ;) - there are quite a few things that need to be pulled and this is a 'preview' version, so no optimizations were done.

If you find a bug, have a suggestion or comment, please report it here: https://github.com/spooky/unitdb/issues.
Before suggesting features, please check here https://github.com/spooky/unitdb/blob/master/TODO.txt if it's not already listed.
spooky9

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: spooky9

Postby Szakalot » 02 Dec 2013, 21:59

Very nice!
I like the quick jumps from types of units thx to the select/deselect filters.

It would be nice if similar buildings were positioned in the same rows, e.g.quantum gates are at different spots, etc.
Szakalot

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Szakalot

Postby spooky9 » 03 Dec 2013, 16:29

Szakalot wrote:It would be nice if similar buildings were positioned in the same rows, e.g.quantum gates are at different spots, etc.

unfortunately that's not easy to do as the factions have different number of buildings, so I'd have to pus gaps between units and I'd like to avoid that - the content is long enough already ;) but I'll keep that in mind, maybe I'll come up with a way to make this happen
spooky9

Postby Myxir » 03 Dec 2013, 17:03

interesting DB, it looks nice, i have two ideas for the design:

divide the buildings into two columns, into factories and other buildings (as you see, buildings is usually by far the largest group)

2. move the filters up to the top

from

to
(obviously also turning around the individual symbols again, i've just been too lazy for this example pic)

this is to make it easier to find, because the filters tend to "jump" around in the website, depending on what you've selected

side note:
cybran does not seem to have a nuke defense (in your database)
also i don't find the paragon
Last edited by Myxir on 03 Dec 2013, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
Unhappy with balance http://i.imgur.com/q5G2BlM.png
Myxir
Evaluator

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 306 times
FAF User Name: Washy (irc)

Postby RoundTabler » 03 Dec 2013, 17:04

WOW! This is fantastic! It would be nice if the default sorting was better (ie. buildings, land unit, navy units, air units, etc.). Otherwise: good work!
Avantgarde: bug reports go to you [zep] via PM?
Ze_PilOt_: no
Ze_PilOt_: never.

Ze_PilOt: FA is not about being in a comfort zone all the time.
I think the game you want to play is Starcraft 2.
RoundTabler
Contributor

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: RoundTabler

Postby spooky9 » 04 Dec 2013, 14:43

Myxir wrote:divide the buildings into two columns, into factories and other buildings (as you see, buildings is usually by far the largest group)

The buildings do take the most space, though splitting them up into 2 columns adds additional 4 columns and there's not enough vertical space in there how it is now. With the nomads faction coming this situation is going to get even worse :/ I did think of reducing the image size though that will make the whole screen less 'readable' (is glancable even a word?).. but there's just too much data to be able to fit everything with the current layout so at some point I'll have to give up something...
I thought about introducing more filters - maybe if there was a possibility to filter by factories, shields, power, mass....) the fact that the building column is so long would stop being such a nuasance. Anyway - thanks for the tip - added to the suggestions list

Myxir wrote:move the filters up to the top

That I tried to avoid - cause filters at the top reduce vertical space, but.. there is a responsive layout planned, so in the release version I plan to put the filters on top if the screen doesn't have horizontal space for it... so on screens with smaller resolution they will end up on the top.

Myxir wrote:cybran does not seem to have a nuke defense (in your database) also i don't find the paragon

Thanks - I'll look into that. If you see any more units missing, please let me know - this is quite important ;)

In general, thanks for the feedback - much appreciated
spooky9

Postby spooky9 » 04 Dec 2013, 14:46

RoundTabler wrote:It would be nice if the default sorting was better (ie. buildings, land unit, navy units, air units, etc.)

Well, the columns are as follows: engineering, buildings, land, air, navy, though the sorting for buildings column needs improvement - will do :)
spooky9

Postby FireMessiah » 04 Dec 2013, 15:01

im loving how easy it is to compare things now,

one thing I noticed tho, if I selected 2/3 units, pressed compare, then press the back button...
would still say 3 selected/compare, but the units I originally selected are no longer highlighted. a simple refresh fixed that.
maybe theres a way it can keep the selection highlighted until you "unselect them"?

on that note, maybe a small tickbox in the corner of the image if you want to compare, and a simple one click if you want to look at one unit?
I think that's better than ctrl clicking (as ToDo proposes).

ps, I prefer "Buildings" to "Base", and "EXP" to "TX" :P

the interface is also looking good, stylish and easy to use.
all it needs now, is all the other important stats and facts that unitDB uses...

when that's finished, you've created something fantastic!!! well done, im really impressed.

I also hope your system is easier to update when new patches are released with changes to these numbers.
FM.
Ze_PilOt wrote:I know we live in a era when everything is done considering that the user is a total moron or retarded.
I find that insulting when a game is stating me the obvious ("press X to open the door" the 20th time I see a door).
hallelujah, amen.
FireMessiah

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 10 times
FAF User Name: FireMessiah

Postby RoundTabler » 04 Dec 2013, 20:00

FireMessiah wrote:im loving how easy it is to compare things now,

one thing I noticed tho, if I selected 2/3 units, pressed compare, then press the back button...
would still say 3 selected/compare, but the units I originally selected are no longer highlighted. a simple refresh fixed that.
maybe theres a way it can keep the selection highlighted until you "unselect them"?

on that note, maybe a small tickbox in the corner of the image if you want to compare, and a simple one click if you want to look at one unit?
I think that's better than ctrl clicking (as ToDo proposes).

ps, I prefer "Buildings" to "Base", and "EXP" to "TX" :P

the interface is also looking good, stylish and easy to use.
all it needs now, is all the other important stats and facts that unitDB uses...

when that's finished, you've created something fantastic!!! well done, im really impressed.

I also hope your system is easier to update when new patches are released with changes to these numbers.
FM.

This is how the current official DB is, and I like this way better. The only thing you need is to make it deselect properly. :)
Avantgarde: bug reports go to you [zep] via PM?
Ze_PilOt_: no
Ze_PilOt_: never.

Ze_PilOt: FA is not about being in a comfort zone all the time.
I think the game you want to play is Starcraft 2.
RoundTabler
Contributor

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: RoundTabler

Postby spooky9 » 05 Dec 2013, 12:23

FireMessiah wrote:one thing I noticed tho, if I selected 2/3 units, pressed compare, then press the back button...
would still say 3 selected/compare, but the units I originally selected are no longer highlighted.

that's a bug - will fix :)

FireMessiah wrote:I prefer "Buildings" to "Base", and "EXP" to "TX"

Base is actually the term used in the blueprints and it's shorter than Buildings, so I'm going to leave that ;) TX is my idea, and though it's shorter than EXP it does seem like a worse choice - will change, but I'm not doing "Experimental" though ;) that's a mouth full
spooky9

PreviousNext

Return to Contributors