Beam Weaponry

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

Re: Beam Weaponry

Postby Domino » 26 Oct 2013, 18:34

defo an aiming problem, looks like the aiming animator actually jitters, or maybe the beam starts up that fraction before the animator has stopped turning. does it still do it if the beam start time is +1, if it doesnt, adding a quick pause before a beam starts would fix it, this gives the animator time to fully line up on the target.

*edit
in your video, you need to slow it right down and watch the acu and then the beam to see which one is or isnt moving after it starts
Domino
Priest

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 75 times

Postby IceDreamer » 26 Oct 2013, 18:58

I'll take a look, but with FiringTolerance set to 0, it shouldn't fire until absolutely lined up. Also, this doesn't explain why sometimes a beam weapon will track a unit and fire, say, just over the shoulder of the unit for a few seconds, before finally switching down a tiny bit and hitting properly.

Also, I had to try a lot to get it to happen for the video, because with my changes the rate that wobble happens at is much reduced. Without them, it happens every other time it fires (FiringTolerance = 2 Normally).

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I have actually DISabled UseFiringSolution for the ACU, because I was able to get greater reliability without it. Which is very, very odd... That means the firing solution itself is the problem, which is why I wanted to find RULEUBA_NONE in the code...
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby gnatinator » 27 Oct 2013, 05:05

Looks awesome and should be put into the main game ASAP.
Economy for New Players | LAN Party List supports the FAF community.
gnatinator

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: gnatinator

Postby IceDreamer » 01 Nov 2013, 06:24

I've done some more fine-tuning, and I've fused the ASF and Beam mods into one package. I've also made it hook destructively to be closer to what will be needed in the end for FAF integration, and to try some stuff I couldn't do with merge.

All beams now spread their damage more smoothly across the DPS spectrum, with damage happening every tick. This helps with target acquisition and behaviour.

Colossus has new target priorities which I thought would be a good idea after watching a GC fails spectacularly to kill anything of importance in one of Gyle's most recent casts.

EDIT:

ShadowKnight Fixes is now in the vault. It fuses this mod with my ASF anti-lag changes. Have fun guys, and report any problems if you find them!
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby rxnnxs » 03 Nov 2013, 01:57

Thank you very very much for your work here!
rxnnxs
Priest

Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: rxnnxs

Postby pip » 03 Nov 2013, 11:43

I would like you to explain all the changes you made concerning the beams because many changes don't seem to do anything, or I don't get what issue they are trying to fix. I don't want to add lot of changes that seem to me random or unnecessary.

One good change is the Czar rate fo fire that makes the laser seem continuous, other things I need to check.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby IceDreamer » 03 Nov 2013, 14:47

New version on vault with comments
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby pip » 03 Nov 2013, 14:59

Thx.
Edit: please, remove the textures and model files next time: they are not necessary. Only the bp matters and scripts if you changed them.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby IceDreamer » 03 Nov 2013, 16:45

pip wrote:Thx.
Edit: please, remove the textures and model files next time: they are not necessary. Only the bp matters and scripts if you changed them.

Mod doesn't work (As a mod) without them.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby Resin_Smoker » 25 Jul 2014, 17:30

IceDreamer wrote:I don't think that's my issue... Interesting though. The Cybran ACU Laser uses firing solution rather than aim bone, so any wobble like that won't happen. Unless the weapon is reacquiring and resetting to neutral orientation... I'll make a video.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SXEhbYe ... e=youtu.be

Ok the reason for this is simple.... The ACU's facing is controlled by the main firing weapon but yet the ACU's beam can yaw and pitch separately. Being that the beams maneuverability may be slower than the rate at which the torso twists and that the beams firing tolerance appears to be set too high, this is whats causing the beam to dance around.
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 106 times

PreviousNext

Return to Contributors