Hovertank Rework

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

Hovertank Rework

Postby MushrooMars » 10 Feb 2013, 00:04

I decided to spend a bit of my time reworking the way the hovertanks weapons work, and it kinda ticked me off to find out that every single hovertank has a turret; a turret that is slaved to the tank's body. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense, IMHO, because if you were designing a fast hovertank, would you restrict the turret movement? I wouldn't. This isn't even the big issue either; the main issue is that because the turret is restricted to the body like this, the tank has a tendency to "twitch" when given many move orders in a short period of time (for example, if you are microing them, or if you are a Starcraft or MOBA player). When the tanks twitch, they end up getting stuck in place or running into eachother, instead of turning and moving like they should.

But enough of my blather, now for the actual changes.

Mod Changelist:
  • All relevant Hovertanks (Aeon T1 Light Tank, Aeon T2 Assault Tank, Aeon T3 Shield Disruptor, UEF T2 Amphibious Tank, Seraphim T1 Mobile Artillery) have had their behavior changed so that the unit's body moves independently of the turret.
  • Some geometry changes to the Blaze to accomodate for its turret (changes are unnoticeable without the models sitting side by side).

Edit: Mod is now an attachment. I screwed up a bunch of stuff with zipping the file earlier, it should work now.

If you're too lazy to download the mod (I would be as well), some screenies from me screwing around with them:
http://imageshack.us/a/img6/9278/scfram ... 355320.png - Fobos
http://imageshack.us/a/img827/4673/scfr ... 470220.png - Absolvers
http://imageshack.us/a/img24/5245/scfra ... 272920.png - Aurora
http://imageshack.us/a/img94/4652/scfra ... 291720.png - Blazes and a Riptide
Attachments
Hovertank Tweak.zip
Unzip to mod folder
(112.09 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Last edited by MushrooMars on 10 Feb 2013, 20:14, edited 5 times in total.
MushrooMars

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: MushrooMars

Re: Hovertank Rework

Postby ColonelSheppard » 10 Feb 2013, 00:11

MushrooMars wrote:[*]Aeon T1 Light Tank now has had it's turret speed multiplied by 1.5x (150 from 100, the standard T1 Tank turret speed), to compensate for being such a crappy tank when not given strategically valid body of waters to abuse.

you will have to remove this
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby MushrooMars » 10 Feb 2013, 00:28

You're probably right. I'll make a seperate ZIP file with the Aurora buffs removed.

I just feel like that little tank needs something more.
MushrooMars

Postby ColonelSheppard » 10 Feb 2013, 00:33

MushrooMars wrote:I just feel like that little tank needs something more.

auroras are there to kite, and they are good if well microed, the problems is that we will have to look carefully at this (nicely done) rework because you probably just fixed the hovertanks turning before moving bug and since everybody is used to play with it auroras will probably be op after it, but probably only will be better microable, unfortunally i cant test this at the moment
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby MushrooMars » 10 Feb 2013, 03:27

Yeah, I can see how they might be overpowered with this change. They can now consistently outmurder Mantises with dedicated micro.
MushrooMars

Postby Veta » 06 Mar 2013, 19:39

this is good, when does it go into 3622?
FA is a game of economic micromanagement (what StarCraft players mistakenly call 'macro') and tactical trumping (e.g. T2 PD countering T1 Spam).
Veta

Been liked: 0 time

Postby ColonelSheppard » 07 Mar 2013, 07:46

it is in the balance patch, you can test it
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby MushrooMars » 08 Mar 2013, 02:01

Sadly enough, almost frigging everyone is opposed to it, despite the fact that we have already nerfed the Aurora (even though this hasn't been tested in a real game yet)!
MushrooMars

Postby ColonelSheppard » 08 Mar 2013, 07:46

MushrooMars wrote:Sadly enough, almost frigging everyone is opposed to it, despite the fact that we have already nerfed the Aurora (even though this hasn't been tested in a real game yet)!

thats not true, Auroras feel so much better now, but it feels so much worse to play against them, because the back and forward tactic does not work anymroe, as auroras can now turn imediatelly :mrgreen:
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby MushrooMars » 08 Mar 2013, 14:39

I'm tellin' you man, LABs kill those things dead. And if you think the Aurora is bad, just wait until the Nomads come out with their T1 Snipertank.
MushrooMars

Next

Return to Contributors