A Chinese request! Sub-server in china

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

A Chinese request! Sub-server in china

Postby xpoy » 02 Dec 2012, 20:29

Or a sub lobby?

There much reason for this,
at first, Chinese time is diffrent from most player in FAF, so when a china player login in FAF, that's hard for him to found a game.
next, the lag, china had some net problem to outside, and game will be lag if there are a china player in game, ppl dislike this, include the china player.
language is another problem, and etc etc.

At now we had paid about 200 dollors per year for bought a VPN service to play games, and this VPN is a great net deal for us. If there a way to use those VPN in FAF, then we shall able to attract more ppl come to play FA!

I just want said, FAF is a great lobby for FA, china player like it and want use this good lobby like everyone!
:D And this is a request from lots of china players, they catch me up from travel for post a thread, so maybe now is the time to try make a sub-server...

We have several programmer, and we shall able to provide a china server, and maybe some other things, blabla.
In end hope you able to understand what my topic talking, hadn't exposure to english in longer than 3 months, and I already isn't good at english. lol
xpoy

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: A Chinese request! Sub-server in china

Postby Ze_PilOt » 02 Dec 2012, 20:31

FA is using peer to peer, meaning that the localization of the server has nothing to do with in-game connections.

These are made between players : If you only play with Chinese players, nothing will go outside your country.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby xpoy » 03 Dec 2012, 07:36

I see, but when there are multi IP in used, how to choose the IP used to play FA?
Because there are lots ISPs in china, and they can't connect with each other, we play by VPN in usually, FAF didn't support to used VPN IP at now, this is why china players want a private lobby..,.
xpoy

Postby Ze_PilOt » 03 Dec 2012, 11:18

VPN is something you activate locally. The lobby cannot choose itself between multiple IP if you have multiple adapters (virtual or real).

It's using the first one : The one windows will use by default.

There is no restrictions on VPN in the server, the client or FA : The principle behind the VPN is that it's transparent for the application. So yes, it's supported by FAF.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby xpoy » 03 Dec 2012, 16:39

my friend littlecore ask if there are a compliered server? with docement is better .

i make a mistake, we bought a Virtual-LAN, but not VPN, then you shall understand what I talking about multi-IPs :D!
xpoy

Postby Ze_PilOt » 03 Dec 2012, 17:00

There is no server available and I'm not planning to release it.

FAF is not designed for LAN connections, you should try to use hamachi or direct IP from FAF instead.

The reason is : From the server perspective, I have no way to know that you have a local IP in the same LAN.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby rootbeer23 » 03 Dec 2012, 17:20

Ze_PilOt wrote:The reason is : From the server perspective, I have no way to know that you have a local IP in the same LAN.

This is not an issue. the round trip time to the public ip from within a LAN is about the same as the rtt to the private lan address. the packets merely traverse the gateway between the LAN and the internet (which is located in the same building as the rest of the LAN) and are never actually sent to the ISP.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby Ze_PilOt » 03 Dec 2012, 17:23

The only way to be sure would be to do a tracert between 2 players on the same virtual LAN but with their WAN (internet) IP.

FA will use the exact same scheme.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby rootbeer23 » 03 Dec 2012, 17:50

VPN lan is a different issue. games set up via faforever.com will ignore the VPN completely.
there is no simple solution to this issue.
short of faforever becoming a part of everyone's gaming vpn,
one thing you can try with the current setup is to use your public ips in your VPN so that
faforever assigns the public ip address as usual when the game is set up, but the peer to
peer traffic gets routed through the VPN.
apart from assigning the public ip to your VPN adapter you also have to define a route
to the public ip of your peers to point to the VPN adapter.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby xpoy » 18 May 2013, 06:50

hey, there are new problem for lobby,
now lots of china players will frenze when login in lobby, and some player need re-login lots time for get in chat lobby, this make them choose to play in hamachi than FAF, I guess it cause faf's domain be block in china, can the lobby use FAF's server IP instead of domain? This maybe solve the problem

And, some china players will up to bought a server in china, for solve this net problem, hope we can at least make player can loign in server
xpoy

Next

Return to Contributors