multicore support or optimization in general

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

multicore support or optimization in general

Postby maxiyupo » 15 Feb 2017, 05:54

iv end up with this problem a lot of times that the game is running at -3 but using 40% of the first core of my cpu, ok the game is 10 years old it cant use a medium to high end cpu at full capaciti but isnt there a way to change that? i know that is ilegal to change the code of the game ( i think, i dont know much about that) and the 2 companys that developed the game dont exist anymore relic is nordic relic and gas is part of wargaming so can we ask gas powered for the code of the game and change it? if you guys started to garder money to improve patch finding and the optimization ill totally help so im a pleb explain me!
maxiyupo

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: maxiyupo

Re: multicore support or optimization in general

Postby CookieNoob » 15 Feb 2017, 10:43

currently the game uses multiple cores already. It uses two large threads: one for simulations (sim) where all the calculation stuff concerning projectiles, collisions and so on happens. Parts of these are outsourced into subthreads. Furthermore there is a rendering thread which does all the display, shader, user interface and so on...

Here is some powerpoint presentation about how sup com works: http://de.slideshare.net/guest40fc7cd/t ... -commander

Even if we got the source code, I doubt that it would help us much. The team of developers we have, works on this for free and in their free time... rewriting the engine for this game is a rather complex endeavor and absolutely not feasable for the current model of development.

If you hire a game studio, then it might be possible, but that is beyond any financial ressources available to this project.
Check out the next level of maps: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13014
For adaptivity, customizability and less clutter in the vault.
CookieNoob
Priest

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 249 times
FAF User Name: CookieNoob

Postby maxiyupo » 16 Feb 2017, 03:38

well i tested the game on some vs ai games with the rivatuner monitoring and the cp1 or cp3 were always above 70% the others 5-30% out of 8 cores i have an amd fx 8350e and the overall usage never passed 40% but for what i read on the power it sayed that it works the best on 4 cores but it uses 1 or 1 and a hal of mine is there a patch that fix this or something? or the game is like that and im fuckt (sorry if there are any errors my main languaje is spanish)
maxiyupo

Postby Sprouto » 16 Feb 2017, 04:38

The results you mention are perfectly normal, and no, there is no patch which will make that much better. Any slowdown you are experiencing is due primarily to the SIM thread (which in likely running on CPU1).

There is a mod which will make a large difference in the performance, especially for games with the AI. The LOUD project is both an AI mod and a performance package for Forged Alliance. You can get more information on it from this thread;

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13869
Sprouto
Priest

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 74 times
FAF User Name: Sprouto

Postby PhilipJFry » 16 Feb 2017, 11:56

Did you manage to make the game run better overall or "just" the AI?
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Sprouto » 16 Feb 2017, 18:32

Both - without getting long winded - it's now possible to enjoy games with 5000+ units and still maintain normal (0 Sim speed). This is a considerable step up from the 2000 unit benchmark and makes it possible to enjoy truly 'Supreme' games on large maps.
Sprouto
Priest

Postby maxiyupo » 16 Feb 2017, 20:42

for what i read the loud is still on develope last 20 they did an stream showing what the mod does apart from that i dont know much
maxiyupo

Postby Sprouto » 16 Feb 2017, 22:18

Try the download for LOUD -- it is fully functional. It installs alongside your existing Forged Alliance so there's no worries about messing up your current installation.
Sprouto
Priest

Return to Contributors