forged alliance opengl

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

forged alliance opengl

Postby Axle » 07 Jan 2017, 04:48

In my naivity I thought opengl was supposed to be good, being open and all. However see attached screenshots. One is rendered with onboard intel, the other with an ati radeon 6670. Now obviously the 6670 render is a POS. And while the intel one looks alright, one wouldn't want to to actually use it because its ... well, just the sh*tty integrated graphics :(

So I guess I'm posting here to express my disappointment, but also I guess I'd be interested if anyone has any insight into why an opengl/radeon render quality might be so crap despite using the exact same opengl client side code as an opengl/intel render.

Axle

PS in case anyone is wondering what I'm doing, I'm just tinkering ... lack of stimulation at work I guess. These images were generated using the terrain.fx and frame.fx direct3d effect files found in the forged alliance gamedata, but compiled and rendered using nvidia's (discontinued) CG.
Attachments
scmp_009_opengl_ati.jpg
scmp_009 rendered with opengl / ati radeon 6670
scmp_009_opengl_ati.jpg (170.38 KiB) Viewed 2404 times
scmp_009_opengl_intel.jpg
scmp_009 rendered with opengl / integrated intel graphics
scmp_009_opengl_intel.jpg (147.59 KiB) Viewed 2404 times
Axle

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Axle

Re: forged alliance opengl

Postby nine2 » 07 Jan 2017, 08:06

Don't suppose u can post a vid of how u do that, so I can replicate, for my own learning? Like a 2 min vid
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Axle » 07 Jan 2017, 11:44

Hi Annihilnine! Yeah I didn't really explain what I'm doing very well. Unfortunately a video isn't really going to help anyone replicate anything. What I have is about 5000 lines of c++ that loads an .scmap, pulls textures and effect files from the supcom gamedata directory and renders everything in opengl (with the help of nvidia's CG to compile the direct3d effect files).

But since asked, I've got an executable in dropbox. Not really much to see, just a view of the map with strategic zoom and first person view (zoom in and hold space). By default it looks for maps and gamedata in "D:\games\forged alliance\Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance". add command line parameters to point it elsewhere (eg map_viewer.exe "d:\supcomdir\gamedata\" "d:\supcomdir\maps\scmp_009.scmap")

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ax8wdjcydfzr ... l.zip?dl=0
Axle

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Axle

Postby nine2 » 07 Jan 2017, 17:03

oh ok. thanks for the explanation.

This stuff is beyond my grasp but are you aware that FA Setons probably uses the 2nd shader... umm.. not sure what it's called anymore. There is Terrain and Terrain2 or something like that. Could be your using the wrong shader for that map.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Return to Contributors