Testing environment for non-mod changes

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

Re: Testing environment for non-mod changes

Postby Korbah » 17 Oct 2015, 06:52

Basically a focussed balance mod - you pick an area that you try and fix the gameplay/balance with by making a tight small mod that makes the least possible changes. Once the mod is working well it can basically be inserted directly into FAF - rather than some of the more sweeping scale mods that change air/navy/land all at once where the flow-on effects are more far-reaching and complicated to predict.

Eg. my first leverage mod is Air Leverage - it only addresses t2 and t3 air units & air counters with the goal of improving air gameplay. As mentioned I'll work on a seraphim leverage mod where I'll try and make seraphim more interesting and unique, increase their tactical and strategic options in t2/3.
Korbah

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Korbah

Postby Sheeo » 18 Oct 2015, 19:51

Korbah wrote:Until such permission is obtained I'll just keep working with the zip archive which can be readily reset in 10seconds.

You don't need permission to make pull requests and maintain a fork of the FAF codebase on github, it's free and encouraged :)

Though for you to distribute the code as a mod, you should not be using this workflow. Instead you should be maintaining a normal mod. This is not the resource you want for that. I don't have any references for this handy for you, unfortunately -- we don't have many that I know of either.
Support FAF on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/faf?ty=h

Peek at our continued development on github: https://github.com/FAForever
Sheeo
Councillor - Administrative

Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 233 times
FAF User Name: Sheeo

Postby Korbah » 19 Oct 2015, 16:57

No worries - thx for your help again

I've got the mod saved in the FAF vault and I've got the mod discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=10335
I wont' push it to github :P
Korbah

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Korbah

Previous

Return to Contributors