Testing environment for non-mod changes

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

Re: Testing environment for non-mod changes

Postby Korbah » 15 Oct 2015, 22:45

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong with the repo - All I've done is extract the github fa-develop zip to a folder and pointed the init_dev.lua file at it.
Attachments
init_dev.lua
(1.81 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Korbah

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Korbah

Postby nine2 » 16 Oct 2015, 01:10

Hmm do you know how downloaded files get protected? Maybe you need to unprotect the zip before extract (right click , properties, unblock button)

Cant check it init file now.

Hoe about a screenshot of your working folder?
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Korbah » 16 Oct 2015, 01:59

I'll post it when I get home from work, cheers

edit:

here
Attachments
FAF programdata folder.jpg
FAF programdata folder.jpg (365.33 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
faf working folder.jpg
faf working folder.jpg (249.99 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
Korbah

Postby Korbah » 16 Oct 2015, 16:47

ok update - it now appears to load. I removed the capitals in the Dev_Path (dev_path = 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\FAF Mod\\fa-develop') and it then loads.

Although that's brought a new problem. When I start a game it freezes once the game loads and you can't actually play/test. Faf is also using the old GPGnet in-game lobby for setting up a game instead of faf's (which I assume is normal?). There's loads of errors in the log I've attached.
Attachments
Korbah_mod_log.txt
(645.84 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Korbah

Postby Korbah » 16 Oct 2015, 16:54

Ok so I now think that the best way to fix the problem is with this updated .lua file instead of the recommended one in the thread/githup. It's basically the init_faf.lua modified to add the repo dump pull
Attachments
init_mod.lua
(4.3 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Korbah

Postby Sheeo » 17 Oct 2015, 01:38

Hey Korbah, I've been on vacation so I haven't seen this thread until now.

Korbah wrote:Ok so I now think that the best way to fix the problem is with this updated .lua file instead of the recommended one in the thread/githup. It's basically the init_faf.lua modified to add the repo dump pull

I don't know what you mean with this, your init file isn't different from the one on github except for the path.

On a random note, you have ~ 37 odd mods in your mods directory, which should be fine, but a lot of them seem weird. E.g. "t2 air leverage.rar". (The game can't mount .rar files).

You should clean up your base game folder, the following .scd file shouldn't exist:

Code: Select all
info: DISK: AddSearchPath: 'd:\misc games\supreme commander\supreme commander - forged alliance\gamedata\faladder.scd', mounted as '/'

Looking at your screendumps, you've got two init_dev.lua files. Make sure you only have one, and it should be in c:\programdata\faforever\bin, anything else gets confusing.

Korbah wrote:]All I've done is extract the github fa-develop zip to a folder

This makes it sound like you didn't use a git client to download it. You should. Don't download a zip from github and use it as your base for development -- then you won't be able to easily commit and push your changes back up to github.
Support FAF on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/faf?ty=h

Peek at our continued development on github: https://github.com/FAForever
Sheeo
Councillor - Administrative

Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 233 times
FAF User Name: Sheeo

Postby Korbah » 17 Oct 2015, 04:51

I appreciate the help sheeo (and also of course to Anihilnine).

I worked out the problem with the init_dev.lua that I was having. I used capitals. However, init_faf.lua and the init_dev.lua on github are different with init_faf having a white and blacklist logging - I ended up modifying a copy of my init_faf.lua to add the dev_path calls and it works perfectly including having the faf pre-gamemenu.

I know I have two init_dev.luas (although now I have 0 as I've deleted them and created a new .lua as I mentioned). I was moving them out of programdata as per Anihilnine's suggestion - turns out it doesn't matter and I've moved them back for convenience.

I also know I've got a fair few mods - I've not changed my installation since 2010 when I bought this computer so there's a fair bit of clutter. T2 air leverage.rar is actually the mod I'm making and working on - that's just an archived older version, although logged as an error it doesn't seem to cause problems. I should probably move it somewhere to be safe. As for my base game folder is there a list of files of the redundant old files that I could go through and spring clean?

Finally as for gitbuh I did indeed just download the zip and unpack it. I'm only doing balance modding and whilst my intention is to make something that can be integrated directly into the base game - doing so without community consent did seem brash. If you're happy with me modding and pushing my changes onto the base repo then I shall proceed with vigour! :D Until such permission is obtained I'll just keep working with the zip archive which can be readily reset in 10seconds.

Many thanks for all your help and advice guys! Happily it's working well now and I'm modding again after several months grinding out exam study - happy times :D
Korbah

Postby nine2 » 17 Oct 2015, 05:18

no sweat - what are you working on?
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Postby Korbah » 17 Oct 2015, 06:04

New version of air leverage (v6). I'm also planning on a seraphim leverage mod.
Korbah

Postby nine2 » 17 Oct 2015, 06:24

sorry, whats a leverage mod?
nine2
Councillor - Promotion