faf client UI analysis and redesign

Moderator: keyser

Re: faf client UI analysis and redesign

Postby spooky9 » 01 Aug 2014, 15:45

SAKO_X,
As for the technical difficulties of this task - I'm fully aware. This would be a big task and it would surely require code not just theme changes.

SAKO_X wrote:i disagree about the "select ladder maps" button being moed to a menu: a lot of users dont bother with menus, and if it was a spanner icon in the corner of your ladder tab...

That sound like a good idea, although I'd still prefer it to be removed, I can agree that putting an icon there would help for a lot of users.

SAKO_X wrote:i think that the vaults tab should be once again split into a maps tab and mods tab. why? most people dont know to go there, and instead ask questions in chat. when people ask how to use your client, there is something wrong with the ui.

Agreed. I wasn't aware of the problem.

SAKO_X wrote:i personally like that, but i would not show exact rating outside of the player stats window (as it is now)

You have access to the exact rating - it's in the player stats modal window. All of my friends who I play with check it.
Yes, the topic is controversial, and as I wrote, I'd be absolutely fin if it was not shown anywhere but it seems that more people care about it than don't...so this is purely statistical decision.

SAKO_X wrote:its good to be updated on the news and given how too few people read it already, it needs to be looked at.

I agree - it needs to be looked at, it's the way it's displayed that doesn't sit with me. I forgot to mention this in the post, but the notification balloon was supposed to be opened each time you turn faf on. That way you do get to see the news (actually you're a bit forced to) but at the same time, it's easy to dismiss.
Things like info on latest patches - I think that this is definitely something that should be shoved in the users face, I just don't want to be too direct with the shoving ;)

As for live streams - maybe there's a better way. If twitch has a public api that allows to check whether a user is streaming or not there would be better possibilities to indicate that - I'll check.

As for the 'home page'- feels very web(ish) in a win app. I still think that it's redundant. I personally spend 90% of faf time in the 'find games' tab but usage stats on this subject would be extremely useful.

ZLO:
Think of it as a possible balance patch ;) just for the UI instead of the game...
spooky9

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: spooky9

Postby spooky9 » 01 Aug 2014, 15:51

ZeP, I have a queston.
What are the chances to migrate to qt 5? I'm asking hypothetically, cause I don't know the exact benefits that could come from this.

Cause I assume that chances to migrate to python 3 are close to none (based on a post in contributors thread)
spooky9

Postby Zock » 01 Aug 2014, 21:52

As for live streams - maybe there's a better way. If twitch has a public api that allows to check whether a user is streaming or not there would be better possibilities to indicate that - I'll check.

Isn't that exactly whats happening at the livestream tab? There is an api, i don't know what it allows though.

Consider "livebar" idea from here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=5525

Better looking and build into the design instead of just put where there was space of course. Point is to display livestreams on tabs people use anyway, with the possibility to close/disable it. Could also fill the space with custom messages (tournement advertisement..), if there are no livestreams or top livereplays
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby spooky9 » 01 Aug 2014, 22:50

A live bar would definitely be more fit into the concept, and .. lucky us http://dev.twitch.tv/ (all live streams for Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance) - I have no idea if that's what ZeP is using, but looks like this would work.
Last edited by spooky9 on 01 Aug 2014, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
spooky9

Postby Gerfand » 01 Aug 2014, 22:59

would be very cool if we could use ours browser, instead of the FAF one... because the FAF one is very slow
Gerfand

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby Ze_PilOt » 03 Aug 2014, 11:40

spooky9 wrote:ZeP, I have a queston.
What are the chances to migrate to qt 5? I'm asking hypothetically, cause I don't know the exact benefits that could come from this.

Cause I assume that chances to migrate to python 3 are close to none (based on a post in contributors thread)

I'm against updating for the sake of it. At best, it's a waste of time.

What python3 or pyQt5 will do that the current version we are using can't?
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Aurion » 03 Aug 2014, 11:43

Ze_PilOt wrote:
spooky9 wrote:ZeP, I have a queston.

I'm against updating for the sake of it. At best, it's a waste of time.

What python3 or pyQt5 will do that the current version we are using can't?

I agree, unless there are serious security issues or you actually want to develop something that can't be done with current version there is no reason to update.
Aurion
Priest

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: NuclearPudding

Postby spooky9 » 03 Aug 2014, 13:56

will check what new features qt 5 brings, maybe it would be worth it.

EDIT:
List of features here: [link]http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qt5-intro.html[/link]

From what I can guess, connectivity, json support and performance improvements would be a potential gain.
spooky9

Postby Ze_PilOt » 03 Aug 2014, 14:56

We already have json support with python (the whole FAF protocol is using that).

We don't really need the new connectivity options either.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Col_Walter_Kurtz » 11 Sep 2014, 10:43

Another hey that looks cool reply.

Updating the looks of the client would probably help in keeping new users aboard. Which is quite an essential aspect of FAF. People want stuff to look good and not outdated. However, personally, I didn't start to notice the rough edges of the client until I was using it for a while. At first glance you don't really notice anything wrong.
Col_Walter_Kurtz
Priest

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 45 times
FAF User Name: Apocalypse_Now

PreviousNext

Return to FAF Suggestions