Ping

Moderator: keyser

Ping

Postby tom90 » 13 Jun 2013, 19:47

So I was wondering why ping is not shown in numbers in the lobby? Literally every other game I have is so bad it is unplayable. Can numbers be brought back so we can see who has bad ping please? (the yellow bar isn't really sufficient)
tom90

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: tom90

Re: Ping

Postby Bartok » 13 Jun 2013, 19:54

Ping isn't usually the problem, its usually 2 people who cant connect to each other. (yellow bars)
Bartok
Crusader

FAF User Name: Bartok

Postby tom90 » 13 Jun 2013, 21:05

how would the game even start if two people couldnt connect?
tom90

FAF User Name: tom90

Postby Hawkei » 20 Jun 2013, 04:54

tom90 wrote:how would the game even start if two people couldnt connect?

The connection could be inconsistent and drop out during the game. Also, the lobby ping may not reflect the in-game ping. Because an internet connection could suffer lag from data overload. Or latency - say from a Wi-Fi connection, rather than LAN cable. You can also get lag from a slow computer. In which case the issue has to do with the CPU or GPU of one of the players.

All of which are not indicated by the ping in lobby. The game forces a 500ms delay anyway, so if a ping is less than about 400ms, there will be no distinguishable effect on gameplay.

The ping which you see in the lobby does not reflect the capacity of that players internet connection, and is generally only an indication of distance. In Australia, I get 40ms pings to other Australians, 128ms pings to the US, and 300ms pings to EU. Russians are generally the worst, and can be around 450 or 500ms - which will effect gameplay.

Generally, you wont see a problem untill the yellow bar is 50%. Better advice on avoiding laggy games is to avoid players with unstable connections. If you see an unstable connection (a ping that jumps up and down a lot) this player needs to do something about their connection. Which means turning off firewall, setting up the game port, and using a cable connection to the router. They also need to ensure sufficient internet bandwidth (upload & download). A requirement which increases with more players. They also need to stop any parasitic internet usage - like data streaming updates and downloads from other applications. If you are playing FA, it needs 100% of your internet. Any other usage will result in latency and lag.

Players that do lag would serve the community by only playing 1v1 or 2v2 games. The best solution is really for players to show a bit of maturity, and not inconveniance others by joining games that are beyond their technical limitations.

I suspect the ping number was removed because it promoted discrimination, on the basis of something that usually doesn't effect gameplay anyway.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby eXcalibur » 20 Jun 2013, 06:20

start the game and press F11, then you see the pings.
every ping under 500 has NO AFFECT on the game!

when the game slows down, it is the sim speed, which drops. use "ShowNetwokStats" option to see the sim speed of every player in the lobby.

when you do not understand some things i said, search for the in this forum. there have been too many posts about these subjects already, because people do use the search function.
eXcalibur
Priest

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: eXcalibur

Return to FAF Suggestions