Multiplayer Save Mod

Moderator: keyser

Multiplayer Save Mod

Postby ted234521 » 11 Jun 2013, 00:36

So I was reading about this MP save feature, and I was wondering if it could be implemented into FAF. It's quite handy, and IMHO should have been in the game to begin with. I now it has been discussed before, but nothing was conclusive and the thread was last updated nearly a year ago.
ted234521

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: TechPriestHarkus

Re: Multiplayer Save Mod

Postby FunkOff » 11 Jun 2013, 03:14

I investigated this about a year ago... and if you look at the thread, it's probably be talking about it.

Basically, it has a few limitations:
First: It doesn't save everything. Projectiles in-flight, some unit attributes, etc are not saved.
Second: It requires the exact configuration of players to work properly: players, same map, same everything.
Third: This is the big one, in the current state, it allows any person to "hack" a free win. Basically, all somebody would have to do is make a game vs an AI and save 2 seconds before they kill that AI. Then, they can load that save in ANY 1v1 game whenever they want, their enemy gets put into the shoes of that AI and dies in 2 seconds.

The mod has potential, but the fact of the matter is, it's unusable in its current state. When I have time, I might go look at it and see if I can't make it better and less exploitable, but I've got other things on my plate right now.

(If you want to do it, by all means go ahead!)
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Return to FAF Suggestions