Ship Rocking Effect

Moderator: keyser

Re: Ship Rocking Effect

Postby Hawkei » 05 Jul 2013, 07:19

SC-Account wrote:That is true, but there has to be some solid storm to rock modern military ships hard enough to be visible from strategic view, then again you could not see anything due to the massive storm clouds :D

Even frigates are not nutshells..

So without waves and weather I don't think that would really add immersion or realism.

Oh and the firing of a broadside does not cause a battleship to rock either..

Any appreciable rocking would be visible in strategic view, and you don't need storms in the local area to have Sea State. I would imagine a minor rocking of about 5 degrees roll and 3 degrees pitch, with a different frequency for each would give a realistc simulation of the visual effect, when the vessel is stationary. When moving, there would be little or no pitch, and rocking be reduced to about 3 degrees roll. The frequencies would depend on the size of the vessel.

If you've ever seen ships of the ocean, they do move. Even in relitavely calm water. The water movement might only be 2 meters vertical. Which is not visible from strategic view. But the ship movement would be anglular, and that would be visible.

My only concern would be the effect on weapons targeting.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby errorblankfield » 06 Jul 2013, 16:50

Can we not say that they've refined ballasts to the point that it automatically compensates for sea movement to create a stable environment.

Yay realism in videogames.
errorblankfield
Priest

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: errorblankfield

Postby Hawkei » 07 Jul 2013, 18:58

errorblankfield wrote:Can we not say that they've refined ballasts to the point that it automatically compensates for sea movement to create a stable environment.

Yay realism in videogames.

Holding a ship still in the ocean would consume enormous ammounts of energy, and have no practical benefit. Most modern warships operate instead by stabilising the turrets,. With modern computer control systems, this is very easy to do.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy

Postby Mycen » 08 Jul 2013, 01:34

Are we really trying to add this feature because it will make it more 'realistic'? I mean, to begin with, what we see on the screen as players is probably simulated, and clearly not 'actual footage' from the units' cameras - or are all battles fought during the daytime?

I wouldn't be opposed to this idea if it's cool and doesn't require extra system resources. But it's not like there's something wrong with the ships not rocking.
Mycen
Evaluator

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 40 times
FAF User Name: Mycen

Postby SC-Account » 13 Jul 2013, 04:22

Firewall wrote:
SC-Account wrote:That is true, but there has to be some solid storm to rock modern military ships hard enough to be visible from strategic view, then again you could not see anything due to the massive storm clouds :D

Even frigates are not nutshells..

So without waves and weather I don't think that would really add immersion or realism.

Oh and the firing of a broadside does not cause a battleship to rock either..

Any appreciable rocking would be visible in strategic view, and you don't need storms in the local area to have Sea State. I would imagine a minor rocking of about 5 degrees roll and 3 degrees pitch, with a different frequency for each would give a realistc simulation of the visual effect, when the vessel is stationary. When moving, there would be little or no pitch, and rocking be reduced to about 3 degrees roll. The frequencies would depend on the size of the vessel.

If you've ever seen ships of the ocean, they do move. Even in relitavely calm water. The water movement might only be 2 meters vertical. Which is not visible from strategic view. But the ship movement would be anglular, and that would be visible.

My only concern would be the effect on weapons targeting.

Well, agreed.

Mycen wrote:Are we really trying to add this feature because it will make it more 'realistic'? I mean, to begin with, what we see on the screen as players is probably simulated, and clearly not 'actual footage' from the units' cameras - or are all battles fought during the daytime?

I wouldn't be opposed to this idea if it's cool and doesn't require extra system resources. But it's not like there's something wrong with the ships not rocking.

I agree to this as well.. then again the simulation shows a lot of things that are only visual and not essential, so why not a ship rocking (if added in a realistic way), the CPU resources argument gets me, though.
SC-Account
Evaluator

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 77 times
FAF User Name: Tnuoccacs

Postby Hawkei » 15 Jul 2013, 04:48

I think we have all correctly accertained that this feature (though possibly cool) is rather low on the list of priorities.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Previous

Return to FAF Suggestions