"Second In Command" Alternative to Assassination

Moderator: keyser

Re: "Second In Command" Alternative to Assassination

Postby SC-Account » 09 Apr 2013, 18:08

rootbeer23 wrote:the possibilities are unlimited. if you can write code.
to the code writers:
how about a game mode that works as such:

if you die, regardless of what you have built so far, your stuff blows up like in a share until death setting. but - an SCU appears on the battlefield, which is your only unit then. when it dies the game is over.
dieing is very costly (everything blows up), but you dont have to quit the game prematurely because of that.
i am thinking of team games primarily.

Haha, I like this idea. Would be a nice compromise between full share and share until death. There is one serious flaw, though:
What exactly prevents me from ctr + k'ing my ACU right at the beginning to get a T3 SCU?
SC-Account
Evaluator

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 77 times
FAF User Name: Tnuoccacs

Postby zolikk » 10 Apr 2013, 22:48

SC-Account wrote:Haha, I like this idea. Would be a nice compromise between full share and share until death. There is one serious flaw, though:
What exactly prevents me from ctr + k'ing my ACU right at the beginning to get a T3 SCU?

The second unit doesn't have to be an SCU... it could just be a new standard ACU.
zolikk
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby A_vehicle » 22 Apr 2013, 02:18

This is easy. I made a mod for this a while ago for fun against AIs. All you have to do is go to the Victory.lua file in the lua.scd folder and add an extra game mode where the game checks every army for both a surviving unit with categories COMMAND or SUPPORTCOMMANDER before declaring them defeated.

Just add the code I inserted to the above file:
Code: Select all
function CheckVictory(scenarioInfo)

local categoryCheck = nil
    if scenarioInfo.Options.Victory == 'demoralization' then
        # You're dead if you have no commanders
        categoryCheck = categories.COMMAND
    elseif scenarioInfo.Options.Victory == 'domination' then
        # You're dead if all structures and engineers are destroyed
        categoryCheck = categories.STRUCTURE + categories.ENGINEER - categories.WALL
    elseif scenarioInfo.Options.Victory == 'eradication' then
        # You're dead if you have no units
        categoryCheck = categories.ALLUNITS - categories.WALL
   #New game mode conditions where SCUs take over command if the com has been sniped
    elseif scenarioInfo.Options.Victory == 'secondincommand' then
        # You're dead if your ACU is dead and you have no SCUs
        categoryCheck = categories.COMMAND + categories.SUPPORTCOMMANDER
    else
        # no victory condition
        return
    end

Honestly adding this game mode would be trivial and has been done a few times over the past 6 years (wow, is supcom really that old?). Control+k'ing your com in the first five minutes still makes you lose, unless you cheat and add an SCU before your com explodes. It is nothing fancy, the only difference would be that, once your opponent gets a quantum gate online, you have to snipe his SCUs and his ACU to win. Discussions about this are on the old GPG forum, I think.

You can create all kinds of game modes, like the one bellow:
Code: Select all
    elseif scenarioInfo.Options.Victory == 'yourleadersaredumbasbricks' then
        # Wall sections act as commanders in that losing all your wall sections means you lose
        categoryCheck = categories.WALL

You can create game modes in which you lose if all of any kind of unit is dead, from battleships to mass extractors to radar stations and light assault bots or even civilian units.

I would love to see this game mode added to FAF's options.

+1.
Typical Voodoo Edition Map Dialog:
Master_lee wrote:Varaxis ist loser vote all my maps 1 !!! he cant make maps noob go home !!!!!!

Padfoot141 wrote:Terrible map. Spawn with 6 commanders and there are civillians with fatboys.

Master_lee wrote:Padfoot141 go home loser ! go play thermo !
A_vehicle

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: A_vehicle

Previous

Return to FAF Suggestions