Ideas for Fixing some Exploits

Moderator: keyser

Ideas for Fixing some Exploits

Postby Typo91 » 15 Feb 2013, 23:21

Typo91 - global Rating = 1680

Hello everyone,
I wanted to offer some constructive ideas for fixing some exploits in the game that I see used very commonly.
These are not direct exploits as they are more in the 'grey' area.

1 - Using area effect to attack units under water.

While there is argument either way, there are some things I want to point out.
In the original description from the single player campaign for the HARMS from the cybran, it states the defense building is on the sea floor, not just under the surface. According to the wiki, it should be immune to battleships and other other forms of attack, like TML. Yet this is how they are normally dispatched in most games.

Subs also meet there end to well place ground attacks, the Atlantis is a sitting duck.

Is there a way to modify the code, so these units find the center point between the floor and the surface? or make them act like underwater surface units and skim the floor of the water ?

2 - Using fighter planes to swoop in and remove all the shields in a uef base, but targeting all the drones.
Honestly I dont not feel that drones should be a target for fighters.. While that alone would not be fair I submit the following...
Make all the drones targetable by ground units instead. this is not a far fetched idea, these drones hover just above the ground, and should be no different then an aurora tank really.

3 - Sat dropping. I am a big fan of UEF, but I fully admit that its dirty dirty to go kill someone's paragon FOR SURE regardless of shields, for the cost of only 40,000 mass. (which i can reclaim almost 80% of that, or just rebuild from 50%)

4 - While I am on the subject, sats can be used to stop nukes, i am honestly not sure if thats really fair, or not but I would like to hear what you guys think, using it to stop nukes does mean its not firing... so I dont know how I feel about that.

5 - Nukes, I have come up with an amazing way to stop a direct nuke from blowing up a building its aimed at even though you dont have any anti nuke... not sure how i feel about that either.... and not sure if i should post that one.

6 - This one is a Personal one, but I feel this could enhance more games then anything. I've played a great number of games, and the way you know if something is OP, is if it is used on a large scale by many people. Well I have to say I see a LOT of people use T3 strat bombers snipe commanders... Now I have plenty of ways I have come up with to protect myself from that, so i am not whining. HOWEVER, I do think that maybe its a little too cheap. Against any other race then UEF, there is only a certain number no matter how many shield they have you need to get in, and it will win 95% of the time. I just want to put this 1 idea out there to see what you people think, what if the Commander had a resistance to bombers, like the overcharge. where he only took a fraction of the damage, this would encourage more strategy in games, and instead of just going for a T3 Strat snipe.

7 - Czar crashing. Honestly i just dont feel this is really fair again... the czar has had a buff in survivability. At one point it was reduced to 5000 damage on the crash, but now its back to 10,000! when it was 5000, it seemed much better, but 10000 is just too much I think. 10,000 will kill just about any building it lands on.
-edit I thought of a fix for this, Make the czar crash like Independence day, make it glide down in a random direction, after all its got to displace a lot of air right ? That would total fix it, and still keep it doing 10,000. btw I believe there is a way to do this.

8 - UEF ACU back tac missiles have a extreme arc, will fly right over TMD and wont be affected by TMD until they are on the approach to the final target. This has been used devastatingly in a few games to hit key targets... No one else has this ability.. do you guys feel that that needs a change?

9 - I know this one is game engine, but still think its silly and want to mention it, Units that are half out of water, like a Megalith, can fire on an enemy that is lacking any sonar (or omni) without being detected. Even TA didn't have this issue, you could see in TA what was above water. I have no idea if there is anything that can be done about this

10 - Look at things no one ever uses, and see what can be done to fix that... like cybran mobile bombs.

thats all for now.

TLDR: lots of things could be tweaked to bring them inline with the original design.

thanks again for your time to read. have a fun weekend
Typo91

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Typo91

Re: Ideas for Fixing some Exploits

Postby ColonelSheppard » 16 Feb 2013, 00:23

Typo91 wrote:3 - Sat dropping. I am a big fan of UEF, but I fully admit that its dirty dirty to go kill someone's paragon FOR SURE regardless of shields, for the cost of only 40,000 mass. (which i can reclaim almost 80% of that, or just rebuild from 50%)

4 - While I am on the subject, sats can be used to stop nukes, i am honestly not sure if thats really fair, or not but I would like to hear what you guys think, using it to stop nukes does mean its not firing... so I dont know how I feel about that.

5 - Nukes, I have come up with an amazing way to stop a direct nuke from blowing up a building its aimed at even though you dont have any anti nuke... not sure how i feel about that either.... and not sure if i should post that one.

It's too late for balance changes now, however, if you have replays with somebody doing this, post them/send them to me i'm always looking for things like this

Point one is viable, but like i said, it's too late, save it for in three months
other points are more or less not viable, not sure what games you are playing when you say CZAR rush op....
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby eXivo » 16 Feb 2013, 11:31

Typo91 wrote:1 - Using area effect to attack units under water.

While there is argument either way, there are some things I want to point out.
In the original description from the single player campaign for the HARMS from the cybran, it states the defense building is on the sea floor, not just under the surface. According to the wiki, it should be immune to battleships and other other forms of attack, like TML. Yet this is how they are normally dispatched in most games.

It's on the sea floor correct, but if the water is shallow then the sea floor is barely below the surface.

Typo91 wrote:2 - Using fighter planes to swoop in and remove all the shields in a uef base, but targeting all the drones.
Honestly I dont not feel that drones should be a target for fighters.. While that alone would not be fair I submit the following...
Make all the drones targetable by ground units instead. this is not a far fetched idea, these drones hover just above the ground, and should be no different then an aurora tank really.

making them targetable by ground will turn them into regular engies without being able to start buildings

Typo91 wrote:6 - This one is a Personal one, but I feel this could enhance more games then anything. I've played a great number of games, and the way you know if something is OP, is if it is used on a large scale by many people. Well I have to say I see a LOT of people use T3 strat bombers snipe commanders... Now I have plenty of ways I have come up with to protect myself from that, so i am not whining. HOWEVER, I do think that maybe its a little too cheap. Against any other race then UEF, there is only a certain number no matter how many shield they have you need to get in, and it will win 95% of the time. I just want to put this 1 idea out there to see what you people think, what if the Commander had a resistance to bombers, like the overcharge. where he only took a fraction of the damage, this would encourage more strategy in games, and instead of just going for a T3 Strat snipe.

what do you mean against any other race than UEF? UEF have solid shields and solid bombers, don't know what you mean.
making resistances would change the mechanics of the game to a degree where it's just stupid, let's not make another starcraft game.
and that's more or less the only role of bombers, to snipe things; be it mexes, pgens or acus

Typo91 wrote:7 - Czar crashing. Honestly i just dont feel this is really fair again... the czar has had a buff in survivability. At one point it was reduced to 5000 damage on the crash, but now its back to 10,000! when it was 5000, it seemed much better, but 10000 is just too much I think. 10,000 will kill just about any building it lands on.
-edit I thought of a fix for this, Make the czar crash like Independence day, make it glide down in a random direction, after all its got to displace a lot of air right ? That would total fix it, and still keep it doing 10,000. btw I believe there is a way to do this.

i think you'd have to modify the engine to do that, gl with that. And the czar has always been a t4 mercy anyway

Typo91 wrote:10 - Look at things no one ever uses, and see what can be done to fix that... like cybran mobile bombs.

most of those things are being looked at, including the mobile bombs
Be inspired to learn. Then aspire to disturb.
eXivo

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: TAG_eXivo

Postby AppleSucks » 18 Feb 2013, 02:42

Typo91 wrote:2 - Using fighter planes to swoop in and remove all the shields in a uef base, but targeting all the drones.

making them targetable by ground will turn them into regular engies without being able to start buildings

UEF kennels cant start buildings. What are you talking about?
AppleSucks
Crusader

Been liked: 0 time

Return to FAF Suggestions