Reworking the Newcomer Help

Moderator: keyser

Reworking the Newcomer Help

Postby ColonelSheppard » 07 Feb 2013, 17:03

hey,

i recently noticed that the Newbie help in FAF is not ever good, so i reworked a few things and would like to have some additional feedback:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2879
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2546&start=10#p29159
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=537&start=50#p29360

greetings Sheppard
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Re: Reworking the Newcomer Help

Postby ttsolo » 07 Feb 2013, 20:01

According to a friend of mine, that used to play Starcraft 2, Forged Alliance is missing a pleasant Solo campaign to attract new players and also tough enough to teach him (e.g. with a tutorial) the mecanisms and tricks of the game.
If we could remake the solo campaign, we would have a real tool to efficiently attract and initiate new players.

I don't know anything in programing, but I already worked on a Neverwinter Nights mod, I can make maps for FA, and I have to say that I would be very excited to work on a such project.
ttsolo
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: ttsolo

Postby Ze_PilOt » 07 Feb 2013, 20:13

Yeah, sure, redoing a solo campaign. I don't think you realize the work needed for that.

Also, what's wrong with the current one ?
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby ColonelSheppard » 07 Feb 2013, 20:16

ttsolo wrote:According to a friend of mine, that used to play Starcraft 2, Forged Alliance is missing a pleasant Solo campaign to attract new players and also tough enough to teach him (e.g. with a tutorial) the mecanisms and tricks of the game.
If we could remake the solo campaign, we would have a real tool to efficiently attract and initiate new players.

I don't know anything in programing, but I already worked on a Neverwinter Nights mod, I can make maps for FA, and I have to say that I would be very excited to work on a such project.

iasked for feedback not for suggestion that might take months or even years
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby ttsolo » 07 Feb 2013, 20:33

I spoke of NWN. It tooks us 8 hours/day during 6 month for 3 guys, to realize the alpha of a persistent world. And I don't speak of the animation of this, after the release...
The waiting can be shorten by releasing campaign map by map, as soon as it's done. Of course, it's not a job for one guy and I don't know the way to integrate this to faf.
ttsolo
Crusader

Postby ColonelSheppard » 07 Feb 2013, 21:04

ttsolo wrote:I spoke of NWN. It tooks us 8 hours/day during 6 month for 3 guys, to realize the alpha of a persistent world. And I don't speak of the animation of this, after the release...
The waiting can be shorten by releasing campaign map by map, as soon as it's done. Of course, it's not a job for one guy and I don't know the way to integrate this to faf.

you're so heavily off topic pls open a new thread if you want to to what you said before

now back to the Thread: any critism/contructive feedback?
Last edited by ColonelSheppard on 07 Feb 2013, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby ttsolo » 07 Feb 2013, 21:11

Sorry Sheppard, I misunderstood your topic by reading it to fast ! I'm speaking english like a spanish cow ! :D
ttsolo
Crusader

Postby drdeath » 07 Feb 2013, 22:51

Great vids, thanks for those. One suggestions: the air micro could also explain t1 micro. E.g. bomber micro.
Though they could have been in other vids I have not yet watched them all.
drdeath
Contributor

FAF User Name: DrDeath

Postby ColonelSheppard » 07 Feb 2013, 23:55

drdeath wrote:Great vids, thanks for those. One suggestions: the air micro could also explain t1 micro. E.g. bomber micro.
Though they could have been in other vids I have not yet watched them all.

i included it somewhere but i think it's just like one sentence 'cause is really only click, stop, click, stop, click, stop every 0.5 seconds
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby Eukanuba » 08 Feb 2013, 13:11

ttsolo wrote:According to a friend of mine, that used to play Starcraft 2, Forged Alliance is missing a pleasant Solo campaign to attract new players and also tough enough to teach him (e.g. with a tutorial) the mecanisms and tricks of the game.

What's wrong with playing the original Supreme Commander campaign? There are plenty of balance changes and a few new units in FA, but the SupCom campaign is very useful to learn unit interactions and economy concepts.
Eukanuba
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Eukanuba

Next

Return to FAF Suggestions