Integrated VOIP

Moderator: keyser

Integrated VOIP

Postby Hazzard65 » 15 Jan 2013, 13:32

One thing that limits on the fly strategy changes, or tactical flexibility is the lack of swift, reactive communications. The kind that typing doesn't allow for given the overarching importance of timely actions and reaction and time in general during matches. A person doesn't have time to type "Please send your cruisers to the ping so we can lure the enemy air into a trap with my air" for example, but saying this would be much easier and far more effective, over VOIP.

Obviously it would require an easy to mute functionality. Having the ability to turn off particularly annoying people is a must and perfectly reasonable.

Of course FAF already has Teamspeak channels, but it would be great if somehow teams could automatically be placed within a teamspeak channel in their own teams ready to go from match start up. If that is even possible.

In general though it would be nice to see a more automated and integrated VOIP system as I think it would dramatically increase players abilities to communicate and thus work together more effectively and allow for more interesting strategies and flexibility.
Hazzard65

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Hazzard65

Re: Integrated VOIP

Postby discoverer2k4 » 15 Jan 2013, 14:32

where is the problem to use the beacons: (m)ove, (a)ttack, (w)arning/attention?
in your example with the cruisers I would make a (w)beacon on the cruisers, a (m)beacon where they should go and show him what you are going to do with your air on the same way ... at last you can do a (a)beacon on the air of the opponent :) I would understand that I guess :p
and if not I will write: "?" and u can write: "help with cruisers vs air"

OR you take "F8" and make a text beacon (or whatever its called) on the field.

don't think so complicated dude ;)

if you wanna have voip, you could also go on the faforever.com teamspeak server with your teammates...
ranking :
~1500 global / ~1100 ladder
~1100 games / ~ 400 games
discoverer2k4
Contributor

FAF User Name: discoverer2k4

Postby Ze_PilOt » 15 Jan 2013, 15:04

It's not possible to able something integrated in FA.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby ColonelSheppard » 15 Jan 2013, 15:11

whats the matter with using the Ts sver of FAF?
it's linked in the top left hand conner of the lobby
or if i remember right it just "www.faforever.com" as adress

i hardly see more than 5 persons using it at the same time
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby discoverer2k4 » 15 Jan 2013, 16:14

I think it could be coded to join the faforever-teamspeak automatically if you join a game or better if you start the match (and all teams are set).the ts-channel will named like the game-id + team1,2,3 ... (e.g. 610532-Team1) so each player joins automatically the correct channel.

Code: Select all
<a href="teamspeak://IP:PORT?password=PWD?nickname=NICK?channel=CHANNEL?subchannel=SUBCHANNEL?channelpassword=CHANNELPWD"> TEXT </a>

of course the ts-server should give unregistered users the permission to create temporarily channels...

I don't know if it's possible to implement such things into the code that starts the game... :?

anyway :) I don't need that...
ranking :
~1500 global / ~1100 ladder
~1100 games / ~ 400 games
discoverer2k4
Contributor

FAF User Name: discoverer2k4

Postby Ze_PilOt » 15 Jan 2013, 16:15

Too much work for a function that will barely be used.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby eXcalibur » 15 Jan 2013, 16:31

@zep: the ladder was barly used as well until some people (mainly you) did something about it!

thx discoverer2004. good idea.

how about implementing this into the game lobby with a text: "Enable another dimension of gameplay by installing teamspeak 3 and interacting with your teammates on another level. FAF will start the program and will put you into your team's channel all automatically!"

this should be quite easy to implement and maybe it resurrects the use of teamspeak 3 (like the ladder used to be almost dead as well) and therefore connects the community of FAF even further. i am sure that this way at least 40% of all players will have teamspeak 3 installed and start to talk eventually (when they hear that others have a hard time speaking english as well) and when they just have to start talking! people are lazy, so they should be given the choice of either read in the forum how to deactivate teamspeak 3, start typing text and miss what everybody talks in teamspeak or simply start to talk to each other.

just write a batch file to start teamspeak 3 with the forgedalliance.exe (on both 32bit and 64bit systems and the standard installation path of teamspeak 3), give everybody the right to create temporary channels on the teamspeak 3 server and use discoverer's code to put everybody into the right channel. this should be enabled by default. you can make a thread in the forum where you explain to people how to deactivate it. done. later when you see that people start to use teamspeak 3, you can even include the teamspeak 3 installer into the FAF installer, this way even more people can talk or at least understand what everybody is talking about.
Last edited by eXcalibur on 15 Jan 2013, 17:14, edited 2 times in total.
eXcalibur
Priest

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: eXcalibur

Postby Hazzard65 » 15 Jan 2013, 16:36

Discover there is nothing wrong with typing, or beacons... but they aren't as fluid and rapid as simply speaking. The example I gave was an off the cuff example, not the most complicated or relevant.

Ze_Pilot at the moment the TS channels aren't used, but I would argue that if it were integrated automatically to start channels through TS, so people automatically join when they are in a lobby for a game, that it would be used. If it's there, and it's automated why would they not use it?

I think the idea has potential, if it could be used in conjunction with TS or some new system, it doesn't matter... it's the concept that's important. Whatever works best is beyond me :).
Hazzard65

FAF User Name: Hazzard65

Postby Ze_PilOt » 15 Jan 2013, 17:29

It's a lot of work. That's why. I have priorities and this is not one.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby ColonelSheppard » 15 Jan 2013, 18:25

wtf
you dont want to do 2 clicks in order to join the TS?

sry but thats just ridicolous (no offence)
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Next

Return to FAF Suggestions