Games with adjustable speed should be ranked too.

Moderator: keyser

Games with adjustable speed should be ranked too.

Postby shabbathai » 04 Jan 2013, 17:58

I think FA gets way more playble at lower speeds than it is at 0. You've simply got more time to make the right decisions, see things, discuss with allies, prepare for the attack or def on more fronts..etc., etc.. I think the best solution it would be if some adjustment would be done, either in FAF lobby or in the game lobby, under options where you could select a fixed speed with a certain number next to it. Wheter it would be -3, 0, or +5 if u want. Good wars shouldnt take 20min, they take couple of hours :). I know all of you who like to play at 0 speed would find ways to disagree, but i got nothing against you. You play however you want to, i (and im sure lots of others) just want to see slower games get ranked too.
shabbathai
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: LS

Re: Games with adjustable speed should be ranked too.

Postby ColonelSheppard » 04 Jan 2013, 18:14

a) people put speed on adjustable if they want to try out weired things (you can come with you do not understand rating blablabla, i do but i understand people doing so in training games)
b) playing on -3 is something else than playing on 0 or +3 you cannot see it as the same
c) i dont think it would be possible to say if the game was on -4 and >/< after the game

that are my points feel free to critizice them
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby shabbathai » 04 Jan 2013, 19:31

a) ok. everyone is free to do whatever they want. So maybe there should be a some box or button that you could make the game rated or not. No idea what are you trying to say in the brackets.. But you're welcome to explain how the rating works if thats what u meant..

b) It is and it isn't. But i dont see how it would affect rating. I dont expect rating works on basis that has anything with the speed of the game.

c) i dont know what u mean. Maybe u're thinking about changing the speed while playing. No thats not what i was suggesting. I was suggesting, that you would pick a certain speed setting before the start of the game and it would remain unchanged.

This wouldnt actualy take anything off the game it would only add a really useful feature.
shabbathai
Crusader

Postby ColonelSheppard » 05 Jan 2013, 03:30

shabbathai wrote:c) i dont know what u mean. Maybe u're thinking about changing the speed while playing. No thats not what i was suggesting. I was suggesting, that you would pick a certain speed setting before the start of the game and it would remain unchanged.

then i fully disagree with you, would be bad, playing on- speed encourages noob play
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby shabbathai » 05 Jan 2013, 13:38

heh and who are you to decide what is or isnt noob play? Or for that matter to decide how this game should be played. I like it slow, i belive slower is better, more fun and if this game has the option to play it slow, then why not use it? To me playing on 0 speed is ridiculus. There is no way you could follow everything that's going on. The only way you can do it, is create a pattern (maybe couple more) of how u gonna do it and follow it, cause with everything goin on you dont really have the time to improvise. Just same old pattern, which you slowly improve. So, yes, i would rather have a nice 2hour battle, where anything can happen, than 6 fast ones with only slightly changing tactics..
I know old habits die hard and i'm not here to change the minds of all of you who think the 0 speed is the only way. That would be a complete waste of time. I would just like to help adding a usefeful feature.
Players do come in the room with slower speed, but the problem is when they found out its not rated they leave. Or they simply dont enter cause they already know its not rated.
I think it wouldnt be too much work adding a simple parameter into rating account. Like, the slower the gameplay, the easier it gets, thus less points recived. 2 bad there is only 1 Ze_Pilot and i know he's busy. But would be good to hear there is hope for the future.
shabbathai
Crusader

Postby pip » 05 Jan 2013, 13:49

Nobody is preventing you to play at the gamespeed you prefer. Slower is easier, it is certainly good for beginners, you can make it known in the title of your game. There is nothing wrong with that but I don't see the point of having a ladder for slow gamespeed. Once you are not a beginner anymore, you will be able to play at default speed without much trouble. I don't think it's good to encourage people to stay at slow speed time reaction.

The main problem is : what if some people prefer just -1 speed? or -2 speed? A ladder for each? GPG never did that, Blizzard or any company I know neither. It's not because FAF is community driven that every custom wish can be fulfilled.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby shabbathai » 05 Jan 2013, 14:23

pip no need creating ladder for each speed. as i said the speed of the game would be just included next to the existing parameters of game rating syst.
shabbathai
Crusader

Postby ColonelSheppard » 05 Jan 2013, 15:41

you could also include games with clear sight in the ladder
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby Voodoo » 05 Jan 2013, 16:00

The main problem is that there are always players who want to annoy the other players. So they will sit there and just push the + or - button.
Thats not productive.
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby shabbathai » 05 Jan 2013, 16:03

ColonelSheppard wrote:you could also include games with clear sight in the ladder

or lets rather never change anything, stick to what we have in our closed mind and kill any new ideas before anyone else likes it..cause things are allways best when they are never changed, right? thumbs up! :roll:
shabbathai
Crusader

Next

Return to FAF Suggestions