Games with adjustable speed should be ranked too.

Moderator: keyser

Re: Games with adjustable speed should be ranked too.

Postby shabbathai » 05 Jan 2013, 16:07

Voodoo wrote:The main problem is that there are always players who want to annoy the other players. So they will sit there and just push the + or - button.
Thats not productive.

No. I thought of that too, so already i suggested the idea of a game with a fixed speed, where u would set the desired speed before the game starts. I should have thought of that before i made the title of the topic.
shabbathai
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: LS

Postby Wakke » 06 Jan 2013, 12:23

I would welcome games at a fixed slower speed. More time for maneuvres and tactics that way.
Wakke

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby ColonelSheppard » 06 Jan 2013, 12:27

thats exactly what i mean: lower gamespeed is not the same, it's way easier to play

GPG could have maked the game -3 by default if the wold have wanted players to have more time for thinking, one of the cool aspects is that, in order to become very good you ahve to do many things at the same time (something i still lack in)
i also did not say that everybody playing on -3 is a noob, i said playing on -3 encourages noob play, just like learning java with BlueJ encourages noob programing
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Wakke » 06 Jan 2013, 12:33

I disagree that -3 encourages noob play. It gives everyone more time for tactics, pro or noob.
Wakke

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby ColonelSheppard » 06 Jan 2013, 13:03

whatever you will never find a majority for this anyway
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Softly » 06 Jan 2013, 14:03

I think the difference between the normal and slow games is that the normal speed provides some of the skill differentiation. If we have one player who is slightly slower to react than the other, then they are more likely to lose focus at some point on the game and it cost them the win. This happens regularly, I know this probably is what makes me lose most of my games. Often its less about the way the people try to play each other, and more about the mistakes they made. Thats why I think slow gameplay has a place in FA, but its not something that needs to be ranked/rated.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby Batmansrueckkehr » 08 Jan 2013, 15:28

the faster the speed the harder it is to play.

so if it would be rated with lower game speed, the advantage a player who can play with fast gamespeed better, is lost. and for what? gamespeed 0 is a good compromise between very fast and very slow of course and should be the speed a game is rated.

i see no reason why adjustable gamespeed should be rated.

if you have fun with -2 gamespeed, np go with it. but dont expect others to rate u with that speed. and as voodoo says - there are always ppl who would adjust the speed just as they like to anoy you. and what do u do if someone preferes gamespeed -10. he wants not a 6h game like you but a 20h game to watch every tree which gets reclaimed and so on... should that be rated? do you think that skill is needed there?

and it is not that sheppard wants to make fun of you or something but he is right here. it is not about "be open minded" it is about to be realistic.
UET_bat
Batmansrueckkehr

FAF User Name: batmansrueckkehr

Postby discoverer2k4 » 08 Jan 2013, 16:03

The rating (trueskill) is made to define the skill of a player, hereby its possible to host well balanced games - making things predictable...
Skill includes the ability to do as much things as possible parallel. To compare peoples skill it is necessary to give the rating system a CONSTANT! This is the gamespeed, or the defined properties of the unit (buildpower/dps and so on) or the engine of the game or the economy system.
If you take one of these constants and make it variable you can't compare the skill of the players anymore - THE RATING WILL LOSE A LOT OF SIGNIFICANCE. This is the reason why all the other mods, some special settings and so on are not included in the rating system. You get more and more variables which can't never reduced to a common denominator.

For example:
A player who played only -3 games and reached a rating of 1900 is never comparable to a player with equaly rating who has played only 0 speed games. If they would play a game against each other at 0 gamespeed, they wouldn't be on a same level.
That's the same with players who only play No Air, No Exp, No Rush...

All you can do is, set the gamespeed to -3 or -5 constantly. That means, force ALL the players to play at low speed. But this won't happen definitly/hopefully.

We know - 0 game speed is sometimes hard - especially on a ressource-rich map in an 1vs1 situation - you need to do a lot. One big advantage is in those situations you can try to overrun your opponent or distract your opponent or whatever. In a slow game these strategic options aren't viable. Your opponent will see nearly "everything"... thats why the mandotory don't like it apart from that it takes ages to end a game.

If you don't understand what we tried to tell you, than read the wiki -> trueskill.
I'm not sure, if you already understood that.

If you just wanna have an award or something for your wins against the other slowmo-noobs - than start a regular tournament or whatever.
Or better :) ... adjust your cpu multiplier to a low value, that you just have 1.4 Ghz or something. Than you can play ranked games at a very low speed dude :)

It has a reason that the gamespeed is fixed for ranked games!
Otherwise we could include minesweeper and tic tac toe to the rating system as well :)
ranking :
~1500 global / ~1100 ladder
~1100 games / ~ 400 games
discoverer2k4
Contributor

FAF User Name: discoverer2k4

Postby shabbathai » 08 Jan 2013, 17:02

Would be nice if you guys would read the posts above the last one too.. Not just the title and then what you think of it :) .. different solutions have been offered. See, i guess its needed to say again, its mostly the point here to raise the popularity for slower game speed. Since everbody thinks they HAVE to play at 0, just so they can find themselves somewhere in the ranking. Im sure solutions or compromises can be found. Nothing would be taken away, only better things added. And game speed would be set before the game( e.g. fixed speed -4).
Maybe there could be 2 leagues. Pro's can play on 0. Others on lower speeds.
Im sure we can find and implement something one day. No hurry. Just dont criticize before you get the whole picture.
I mean, most of you would admit that you still get lost sometimes when the action gets going hard. And thats after you've played 1000s of games.. So some new guy should play around 5k games to start feeling comfortable? :) ..thats unrealistic for me.
shabbathai
Crusader

FAF User Name: LS

Postby ZaphodX » 08 Jan 2013, 17:15

I think the problem Shabba is that no-one who knows how to play would even consider playing at a slower speed. It would also make games so much longer!
ZaphodX
Contributor

FAF User Name: TAG_ZaphodX

PreviousNext

Return to FAF Suggestions