Unfair exclusion on ladder when a internet router reboot.

Moderator: keyser

Re: Unfair exclusion on ladder when a internet router reboot

Postby Softly » 29 Sep 2012, 00:07

If it doesn't happen often to you then understand that it shouldn't be something that is implemented for everybody at all times.

50 seconds is really quite boring already without it being increased to 120 seconds

and if someone needs 200 secs to reboot a router? Do we increase it to 200 seconds? Why not 300 seconds? etc etc
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby -_V_- » 29 Sep 2012, 06:23

DilliDalli wrote:50 seconds is really quite boring already without it being increased to 120 seconds

Are you serious ? Nahhh cannot. That must be some joke!!
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby ToejamS » 29 Sep 2012, 10:43

I believe that the OP is referring to ranked or ladder games -V- not the lag fest that is setons and yes, that is a lot of time.
ToejamS

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: ToejamS

Postby -_V_- » 29 Sep 2012, 13:02

50 secs are 50 secs no matter what.
You can't seriously say that it's SO painful to wait
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby ToejamS » 30 Sep 2012, 00:30

The OP wanted a 2 minute increase in kick time. You should spend more time reading and less time trolling. 2 minutes is too long for a ranked game. Fix your stuff, its broken. I sure dont pay a lot of money for my 100mb conneciton, 5ghz i7 with ssd to wait for someone else with a bad connection or crappy router. If you want to live with 1980's internet, thats fine, please dont ask us suffer it, it was bad enuf once.
ToejamS

Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: ToejamS

Postby IceDreamer » 30 Sep 2012, 00:55

ToejamS wrote:The OP wanted a 2 minute increase in kick time. You should spend more time reading and less time trolling. 2 minutes is too long for a ranked game. Fix your stuff, its broken. I sure dont pay a lot of money for my 100mb conneciton, 5ghz i7 with ssd to wait for someone else with a bad connection or crappy router. If you want to live with 1980's internet, thats fine, please dont ask us suffer it, it was bad enuf once.

FaF is a Global affair you moron. Good for you, you live in an area where fast internet is available. I am currently in University in Aberdeen, an energy and research world Capitol, and I have internet speeds of <0.5Mb/s. It was the same story in Cambridge, another research and education Capitol. It's not a CHOICE of living with crap internet, it isn't even available in 99.999% of the world right now.

All this is besides the fact that rebooting a router is nothing to do with Internet connection. Some models are faster at rebooting, some slower, and price has nothing to do with it. Sometimes the reboot time is more dependant on your ISP giving your router access than anything else, which is a problem on even faster lines. Sometimes, there is NOTHING that someone can do. You're in the middle of a ranked match and OH NO, power fluctuation due to a storm 40 miles away means your house's power supply flickers, tripping your switchboard for a second. Everything is fine, but even with your PC on an uninterruptable, your router needs to reboot. Does this player deserve to lose? NO.

1980's Internet, honestly. Get to grips with reality man.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby uberge3k » 30 Sep 2012, 05:02

Both of you should simmer down.

I must agree on one point, however - there's nothing "trolling" about pointing out how small a wait time 50 additional seconds is. There's no point in being elitist about people's connections and PCs - it's a game that we play for fun, and the community is small enough as it is without people trying to exclude others based on factors that they have little control over such as network quality or random acts of nature.

I've been on both ends of it, and it certainly sucks when your connection drops or you have to leave the PC for a few minutes due to something that you simply had absolutely zero control over. The only thing you can do is hope that your opponent is a decent enough of a human being to understand that and wait. I know that I do, and will wait as long as it takes for the other player to reconnect.

The absolute longest time I waited was a bit over 30 minutes in a ranked game on GPGNet, after the guy had paused without warning. He came back and was extremely apologetic about it, not to mention incredibly surprised and delighted that someone had waited. :)

At the end of the day, sadly, that kind of sportsmanship isn't something that can be enforced by technical means.
Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want something to happen, do it yourself.
uberge3k
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times
FAF User Name: TAG_UBER

Postby rootbeer23 » 30 Sep 2012, 05:35

So what is the purpose of the feature that freezes the game when one player becomes unresponsive?
it is there to give some time for a problem to be fixed so that the game can resume.
The timeout should be long enough so that a router can reboot, because that fixes the problem.
I would say 2:30 is a timeout where the majority of people with static ip addresses come back.
Ideally i would like to click a button and indicate that i have dynamic addresses so that in my case any wait longer
than 10 seconds is a waste.
Why is 2:30 too long? Almost every game having a disconnect happening will last longer than 2:30 from that point on,
so even if the peer does not come back, you will save some time.
And i think that it is indeed unfair to rely on sportsmanship when a technical solution is available. For the same reason that
soccer games are played with a referee.
2 minutes and 30 seconds are not too much to ask for given that disconnects are an exception that happen in 1 out of 10 games maybe.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby rootbeer23 » 30 Sep 2012, 07:58

Anaryl wrote:I don't agree that a majority should have to pay for the issues of a minority.

in a 1v1 game, there are 2 people affected and you cannot have a majority or minority.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby Softly » 30 Sep 2012, 12:33

But the majority would have to wait two minutes if someone deliberately dcs or crashes rather than 50 secs, so that a minority can reboot their router and keep playing
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

PreviousNext

Return to FAF Suggestions