Impression coming from the Steam version

Moderator: keyser

Impression coming from the Steam version

Postby Aftergergluck » 12 Jul 2020, 15:12

Hi guys,

I'm kind of a new user. I played a lot of SupCom a few years back and even tried FAF for something like two games. With the summer sale I bought the game on Steam again and just finished the campaign. So I decided to give another try to FAF after so long and boy was it overwhelming!

First things first, the new client is top and the instructions to install it on Linux are clear and just works. That part is great! So I launched a game against the AI and that's where I got a bit lost. So much stuff is different from the Steam version of the game, even the factories look different (at least the UEF T2 Air factory). From what I gathered, some important and not always obvious mechanics have changed e.g. the overcharge or the veterancy.

So to come to the question part, is there somewhere a list of changes/things to be mindful about when coming from the Steam version to the FAF version? Sure you can do that in a bunch of skirmishes against an AI, but it's just faster to read through a list and then explore specific points rather than trying everything to see what's changed.

Maybe the answers are already somewhere in the wiki/the forums, but maybe making it more visible (e.g. with a popup the first time you launch the client) would help people who comes from the Steam version of the game.

Anyway, thanks for reading to this point and have a great day :) !
Aftergergluck

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Aftergergluck

Re: Impression coming from the Steam version

Postby Dragun101 » 12 Jul 2020, 15:33

Hello! As the case might be on wikia we have two articles on
https://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?ti ... ce_Forever - This article is brief and more an overview of changes.
https://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?ti ... from_steam - This article is in a bit more detail, about what has changed and a little bit of why.
Dragun101
Crusader

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Dragun101

Postby Aftergergluck » 12 Jul 2020, 16:54

Thanks for the answer, that's the kind of info I was looking for!

It would be great if this could be more visible, perhaps putting it on the front page of the wiki would be a good option.
Aftergergluck

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Aftergergluck

Postby Wesmania » 12 Jul 2020, 17:59

Thank you for pointing me to that atrocious second page so I could rewrite it :)
Wesmania
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 79 times
FAF User Name: MazorNoob

Postby Dragun101 » 12 Jul 2020, 18:51

:( my glorious article /sarcasm thanks friend for fixing it for me
Dragun101
Crusader

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Dragun101

Postby armacham01 » 13 Jul 2020, 15:21

I listed a number of differences from Steam in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18564
armacham01

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: arma473

Return to FAF Suggestions