Faf new user journey guided by ui

Moderator: keyser

Faf new user journey guided by ui

Postby Captcha-Lover » 29 Jun 2020, 17:12

Hi

Many games have a tutorial like first user journey that guides them through the UI and it's options.

My idea: do that with blinking circles and message pop ups.

For example:

New user plays his first ranked game.
After game a popup: hi! Cool you played your first ladder game. Why don't you watch the replay to see what your opponent did and how you could improve.
Then guides the user with colorful circles to replay vault.

After that:
Why don't you watch a replay of a highly skilled player on the same map to see what they did. You can filter replay search by rating and map. Again circles or even moving or the cursor.

Like that people would get the idea of watching replays earlier and that would probably increase the steepness of the learning curve.

I have a strong background in RTS and had all these ideas myself, but someone without might be oblivious to these options and to how RTS skill is formed (replays, play, replays, play + streams and vods)

Just an Idea
Captcha-Lover
Crusader

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Captchagachi

Re: Faf new user journey guided by ui

Postby Brutus5000 » 29 Jun 2020, 22:23

Unfortunately there seem to be no tools or frameworks to support such a thing in our software stack. I was trying to find something a few months ago. Implementing this ourselves starting from scratch is not feasible :(
The 9th Doctor wrote:You think it'll last forever, the people and cars and concrete. But it won't. One day it's all gone, even the sky.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 288 times
FAF User Name: brutus5000

Postby Captcha-Lover » 30 Jun 2020, 00:52

Well it doesn't need to be part of the client. It can be part of the homepage, like the client could guide people to such ressources. Like there could be a tab in the client: guides learning ressources or maybe a simple message popup with a link to a part of the homepage
Captcha-Lover
Crusader

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Captchagachi

Postby FtXCommando » 30 Jun 2020, 01:27

There are plans to make new user experience easier with team matchmaker. The pools for new players will be smaller (7 maps) and have smaller map sizes while also having specifically curated maps that will have guides created by high ranked players. Nothing complex, just how to get your first few factories up and the general gameplay "focus areas" on the map.

I don't think a replay thing needs to be that complex. Couldn't we just do a notification pop up after some condition (lose 3 games) is met? "Having trouble on the matchmaker? Try watching some replays in the online replay section!"

Part of the problem is probably that replays are stored under "Vault" now which IMO is not intuitive for the general user. There is also "online replays" and "live replays" and "local replays" which are also needlessly confusing.

I would say a tab specifically called "Replays" would be better with "All (or FAF) Replays" (Replay Database?), "Ongoing Games", and "My Replays" would be better. Ideally you could be able to go to the "Leaderboards" tab and right click a name to look up their "replays" but that's just me dreaming.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Return to FAF Suggestions