Including 4th Dimension Explosions in FAF

Moderator: keyser

Including 4th Dimension Explosions in FAF

Postby Ayerelve » 10 Sep 2012, 13:59

Hi,

Before I joined FAF I always used 4th Dimension Explosions in my games.
It is a great mod that really enhances the look and feel of the game by introducing proper explosions.
I think that the mod should be made a standard feature of FAF and included in all games, since it does not change gameplay in any way but makes the graphics a lot better.

For reference see: http://4th-dimension.rockt.es/

Any thoughts on this?
Ayerelve
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: Lorodion

Re: Including 4th Dimension Explosions in FAF

Postby eXcalibur » 10 Sep 2012, 14:21

I actually do not know a lot about 4th Dimension Mod and 4DC. I think that 4DC is the successor, though.
There are (more precise: were) efforts to rewrite 4DC into a featured mod of FAF. Look here: viewforum.php?f=32
I assume that all effects will be transfered to the new version of this mod as well. Maybe someone like the new explosions so much that he will try to isolate them and put them into FAF. If you have experience in modding, you can do it yourself.

Personally I would like this http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51030 to be included into FAF. I could not get the new trees to work, although I think they are much nicer. I think the new trees need 4th Dimension or 4DC Mod to work, though.
But please try the "Graphicenhancement mod v1.1" by placing this folder in here C:\Users\"your name"\Documents\My Games\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\mods and activating the mod ingame. It is a UI mod only. So if others do not use it, you can still use it.
eXcalibur
Priest

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: eXcalibur

Postby Ayerelve » 11 Sep 2012, 12:50

You're right and someone has already made this request: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1385

No extra modding or isolation is required since 4D explosions already is a separate mod. I have made a link available for download of 4D explosions (only) here: http://descend.se/temp/4D_explosions.zip
In 4DC the explosions are not separated and maybe not even included?

It would be nice seeing the graphicenhancements as a standard part of FAF, but since it's UI only you should be able to use it even though it's not included with FAF?
4D explosions on the other hand is not UI and needs to be enabled on all machines to work..
Ayerelve
Crusader

Postby eXcalibur » 11 Sep 2012, 22:45

Thanks for your effort!

I have tried the 4D explosions and really like them. But I had the impression that the variety of different explosions gets diminished by the mod and was therefore a little disappointed.
When I deactivated the mod again, I was disappointed by the standard explosions, though.

I noticed one disadvantage of the 4D explosions: When killing 50 or more of your own units (with ctrl-k), the lag is much more noticeable than with standard explosions (this lag is noticeable as well, though). At least on my weak machine.
Do you notice a lag in the 5 seconds you ctrl-k 100 of your own units on your machine as well (with/without 4D explosions mod)?

Therefore the minimum hardware requirements for playing the game should be increased with this mod.
This would be a problem, since people with bad graphics cards could not fight big battles anymore due to the increased lag . It is a pity that this mod cannot be made into a UI (standalone) mod.
eXcalibur
Priest

Postby IceDreamer » 12 Sep 2012, 04:11

eXcalibur wrote:Thanks for your effort!

I have tried the 4D explosions and really like them. But I had the impression that the variety of different explosions gets diminished by the mod and was therefore a little disappointed.
When I deactivated the mod again, I was disappointed by the standard explosions, though.

I noticed one disadvantage of the 4D explosions: When killing 50 or more of your own units (with ctrl-k), the lag is much more noticeable than with standard explosions (this lag is noticeable as well, though). At least on my weak machine.
Do you notice a lag in the 5 seconds you ctrl-k 100 of your own units on your machine as well (with/without 4D explosions mod)?

Therefore the minimum hardware requirements for playing the game should be increased with this mod.
This would be a problem, since people with bad graphics cards could not fight big battles anymore due to the increased lag . It is a pity that this mod cannot be made into a UI (standalone) mod.

Supcom is not an easy game to run already, so very few people actually use hardware which cannot run the game >30FPS in big battles anyway. Also, planning on Ctrl-King 100 of your units any time soon??? ;)
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 12 Sep 2012, 15:43

I would like to see this put into the game as a featured mod. Also graphics lag does not affect other people in the game. Sim speed does but the only thing that affects that is the processor
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Ayerelve » 13 Sep 2012, 13:24

eXcalibur wrote:Do you notice a lag in the 5 seconds you ctrl-k 100 of your own units on your machine as well (with/without 4D explosions mod)?

I get slightly less FPS with the mod, but I think the graphics are worth it (it's not as expensive as the graphicenhancements mod in terms of FPS).

noobymcnoobcake wrote:...graphics lag does not affect other people in the game. Sim speed does but the only thing that affects that is the processor

You're right and sim speed is usually the problem in big games, not graphics rendering. Neither 4D explosions nor graphicenhancements affect the sim speed.

noobymcnoobcake wrote:I would like to see this put into the game as a featured mod.

I agree. Maybe start out that way and if it's popular it could be made a standard part of FAF (included in ranked games etc.).
Ayerelve
Crusader

Postby Ze_PilOt » 16 Sep 2012, 19:47

Well it's nice, but it's "Forged Alliance : Michael Bay" edition where a tree falling explode :)

Even a scout make the screen shaking more than a nuke.

With a little tuning down it would be okay to integrate in FAF.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Ayerelve » 17 Sep 2012, 17:55

Hey,

I've now modified the original 4D explosions:
  • No camera shaking
  • Explosion size tuned down slightly
  • Some duplicate explosions removed
  • Minor code cleanup
Download from: http://descend.se/temp/4D%20Explosions%202.2.7z

Thoughts?
Ayerelve
Crusader

Postby eXcalibur » 17 Sep 2012, 21:21

Thanks Lorodion !!!

i am not 100% sure, but i think i have found an alternative, which seems to an UI only mod. at least i have tried it in a game (only i had that mod activated) and we did not get any desync. but strangely enough, it did show any effects in multiplayer as in all singleplayer matches i have played before.

i like it, although i cannot decide, whether i would rather like 4D explosions 2.2 or Firey Explosion Mod 2. according to my tests, Firey Explosion Mod needs a little less graphics power to run. with 4D explosions i like the explosions (many parts flying in all directions). in Firey Explosion Mod i like especially the effects with navy.

please tell me which mod you like more.

Firey Explosion Mod 2: http://www.moddb.com/mods/firey-explosion-mod

i just found one bug: when playing with navy, it does not leave T3 wreckage. this could be a serious disadvantage and would need fixing.
Last edited by eXcalibur on 17 Sep 2012, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
eXcalibur
Priest

Next

Return to FAF Suggestions