Add units to queue that are not repeated

Moderator: keyser

Add units to queue that are not repeated

Postby Steel_Panther » 07 Sep 2019, 20:53

One thing that gets a bit annoying is when you want to keep all your factories on repeat build, but also add in some other units that you do not want repeated. E.g. you are building asfs out of your air factories, but just want to build 2 or 3 t2 transports. To avoid accidentally building more transports than desired you can just add a ton of asfs after you queue up the transports, but it would be nice to have an option to add in some units that are only built once and removed from the queue so you don't have to do that. This would also be better because if you have factories assisting another factory, you can get those priority units out faster since multiple factories can build them rather than just one. So, say you want to build 10 gunships and then go back to asfs, you can just add 10 to the main factory and get them built more quickly from all factories assisting it, and then go back to asfs. (Yes, for larger numbers like that you can also just change all factories over to gunships or bombers and then change it back later, but this idea would be more convenient to easily get exactly the numbers you want very quickly and never accidentally build too many of something, or have idle factories, and with less apm.)

I am imagining just a separate hotkey to add these units that are not added to the repeating build queue. So, underneath the main queue there could be another non-repeating priority queue.

I can understand that this might be difficult to implement, and since it would just be a small convenience, it would not be worth expending too much effort to attempt.

Thank you
Steel_Panther

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 19 times
FAF User Name: Steel_Panther

Re: Add units to queue that are not repeated

Postby UnorthodoxBox » 07 Sep 2019, 21:11

While this is not a real solution, have you tried using the command that clears the entire unit queue except for the one currently building? I cannot remember what it is called (can probably search hotkey menu for "current" or "building"), but it is really useful to press ctrl-f (what I set it to) and the entire queue clears, but the factory keeps building the current unit.
UnorthodoxBox

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: Box-

Postby Steel_Panther » 07 Sep 2019, 22:48

UnorthodoxBox wrote:While this is not a real solution, have you tried using the command that clears the entire unit queue except for the one currently building? I cannot remember what it is called (can probably search hotkey menu for "current" or "building"), but it is really useful to press ctrl-f (what I set it to) and the entire queue clears, but the factory keeps building the current unit.

Yes, that is the alternative, and why this isn't the biggest issue. I'll often just select all my air factories and clear all but the current unit in production, add what i want, like torps, maybe shift click 5 times so it's essentially torps on repeat from here on out without having to stop the factory and waste the current production. Then do the same thing with asfs to switch back. But it's a bit cumbersome and annoying to do. I'd like to be able to just build 20 (or whatever desired number) torps fast and go right back to asfs. So this way it would be a bit easier to manage just how many you get of a certain unit and also do it quickly. Also, the downside would be that if you did have some more intricate queue like with aa and shields and tanks and arty for land spam, you lose that and have to redo it.
Steel_Panther

Postby C-Star » 23 Sep 2019, 12:28

what i do so solve this:
connect facs with assisting orders in a chain (not a star).

Chain:
    fac1 <- fac2 <- fac3 <- fac4
Star:
    fac1 <- fac2
    fac1 <- fac3
    fac1 <- fac4

fac1 gets the "mainqueue" (e.g. asf-only on repeat). all facs will build asf now.

If i need 10 gunships now i give this order to fac2. Facs2-4 will finish their current asf and then switch to gunships until 10 are made. then return to asf.

no waste of res or bp and no messing with infinite loop. You can balance the speed of your one-time-production, by choosing a factory wich is more at the end of chain -> slower or faster at the beginning.

The risk with this is that if fac 2 dies, fac 3 and fac4 will be ilde.
fac 2 must not have repeat on, obviously.
C-Star
Crusader

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times
FAF User Name: C-Star

Postby Steel_Panther » 02 Oct 2019, 17:36

C-Star wrote:what i do so solve this:
connect facs with assisting orders in a chain (not a star).

Chain:
    fac1 <- fac2 <- fac3 <- fac4
Star:
    fac1 <- fac2
    fac1 <- fac3
    fac1 <- fac4

fac1 gets the "mainqueue" (e.g. asf-only on repeat). all facs will build asf now.

If i need 10 gunships now i give this order to fac2. Facs2-4 will finish their current asf and then switch to gunships until 10 are made. then return to asf.

no waste of res or bp and no messing with infinite loop. You can balance the speed of your one-time-production, by choosing a factory wich is more at the end of chain -> slower or faster at the beginning.

The risk with this is that if fac 2 dies, fac 3 and fac4 will be ilde.
fac 2 must not have repeat on, obviously.

Thank you, this is a good solution! I was thinking if any factory was assisting one with an infinite loop that it wouldn't stop that because it wouldn't technically ever finish it's assist order, but this works and is quite helpful. I tried setting fac 1 to asfs, then fac 2 assisting it, and all other facs assisting 2, so 2 will get the other build queue.
Steel_Panther

Postby armacham01 » 02 Oct 2019, 19:12

You have a problem, which is that if any one factory in the chain dies, the production stops for factories lower in the chain.

I found a solution:

Give each factory MULTIPLE sequential assist orders (by holding down shift).

So:

Fac1 <- head of the chain, not assisting any factory, on infinite repeat

Fac2 <- assisting Fac1, not on infinite loop

Fac3 <- assisting Fac2, then also assisting Fac1. You click on it, right click on Fac2 (to give the assist order), then while holding shift, right click on Fac1.

Fac4 <- assist Fac3, then hold shift and assist Fac2 and Fac1.

NOW, if you lose a factory in the chain, the factories below that will automatically switch to the next factory and production will continue smoothly.

This is a little silly (because it involves so much clicking, e.g. if you have 8 factories and you want them all in a sequential chain, your 8th factory would need 1 assist order + 6 more queued assist orders)

But what is a little less silly would be: Factory 4: assist Factory 3, hold shift and also assist Factory 1.

That way, if you lose factory 3 at some point, you lose your beautiful chain, but at least Factory 4 still assists Fac 1 so your production doesn't go idle. (And factory 5 will continue to assist Factory 4, so it also does not go idle...)

I guess if you expect to lose a factory at some point it might make sense to give some queued assist orders to make the transition go smoother.

Or maybe this is just over-engineering things to a ridiculous degree
armacham01

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: arma473

Postby Morax » 03 Oct 2019, 21:44

Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Uveso » 04 Oct 2019, 02:51

@Steel_Panther:

you could use factory build templates.

After you build your single units, just set the factory back to infinite building and click your factory template to build your preselected units.

To create a factory template:
1. Select your factory and make your buildorder.
2. Press the "Build Templates" button. (near the "Experimental Tech" button)
3. Press the "Save Template" button.
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 291 times
FAF User Name: Uveso

Postby C-Star » 04 Oct 2019, 10:27

Morax wrote:Already done in UI Party:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=9776&hilit=ui+party

i dont get how this is solved there.. :oops: only thing is, that facs are on auto-repeat always, but that does not adress the problem of one-time-units.

what do i miss? :?:
C-Star
Crusader

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times
FAF User Name: C-Star

Postby Quant » 07 Oct 2019, 16:24

In zerok, if you hold alt while building a unit, it will only get built once and get put next in queue. Rest of infinite queue stuff just stays and resumes after the single-time queue finishes.

Possible to implement in FAF?
Quant
Crusader

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Quant

Next

Return to FAF Suggestions