Invasion of the Smurfs

Moderator: keyser

Re: Invasion of the Smurfs

Postby Cerberus » 10 Aug 2012, 21:40

Sigh, Sheppard...

One, Everyone knows who Templar is,
Two, its not smurfing when everyone knows who you are, and you tell everyone who you are because
Three, you are having technical problems, and cant log in with your other account.

However, I agree with banning smurfing, in the form of hidden account to crash games for easy wins. I also hate how the top 50 in ladder and global ratings are all the same 30-40 people, just with about 2-3 accounts each.
Icy wrote:*Imagines cerberus doing bomber first with 10 extra buildpower*
Cerberus
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Pavese » 11 Aug 2012, 17:16

I also hate how the top 50 in ladder and global ratings are all the same 30-40 people, just with about 2-3 accounts each.

Better then GPG with 15 guys in top 50 and 3 guys in top 10.
Pavese

Postby Adraius » 13 Aug 2012, 00:11

Cerberus wrote:One, Everyone knows who Templar is

Erm...

speaking for all the non-leet players here who don't have to deal with smurfs on a daily basis (and yet are the ones most effected by them):

I have no idea who he is. Thank you.
Adraius

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Adraius

Postby Ze_PilOt » 13 Aug 2012, 09:17

Anaryl wrote: I [b]cannot[b] switch between the two at will. I am, however, in possession of the knowledge of how to do this, it's simply a lot of effort to go to.

Yeah, don't try it, or you will be surprised..
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby pip » 13 Aug 2012, 09:59

Anaryl wrote:It's me FYI.

I just built a rather powerful new machine, but it took a long time to get up and running, so I was still playing FA on my old machine whilst I did all that annoying Windows installation crap. Then I had an issue with the gfx hard-locking the whole machine so I was reluctant to have Zep switch the UID's on the accounts until it's fixed. For some reason atm it's stopped, but I haven't done anything to make it stop so I remain wary. My second account was created simply as an expedient of allowing me to set-up FA on my new machine, with the expedient of allowing me to play on my old machine whilst this was underway, and then later, for me to try and fix my GFX issues.

Given that atm I've just started a degree and might play 5 games a week if I'm lucky, it's just not a priority right now. My accounts are within 100 points of each other, so there's no undue ratings penalty from a loss to my second account. I also openly admitted to Shappard that this was my 2nd account as he was quite disappointed at losing. Finally, it's my 2nd PC, I'm allowed to have a second account - I [b]cannot[b] switch between the two at will. I am, however, in possession of the knowledge of how to do this, it's simply a lot of effort to go to.

In my mind, smurfing is the possession and use of multiple accounts concurrently, with the express purpose of disproportionate ratings gain, or causing undue ratings loss to other players - neither of which is an option for me.

I also have 2 accounts on 2 computers. One account is pip, I named the other one ppipp. It's clear enough who I am. Maybe you could change your second accound to Anaryll, or something like that and everyone will know who you are. Just saying.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby -_V_- » 13 Aug 2012, 13:24

Well I do have 2 laptops where I'd like to create myself new accounts

- First (and mainly) because I am very likely to travel a lot with one of them and I'd really like to have a game or too while being on the move!
- Second because I wouldn't necessarily want to play with my account sometimes just to avoid all the (I quote) "elitist jerks" who get more fun from bla bla in lobby than actually playing.

My take on that : rating -> smurf .

Anyway before I actually create an account on each laptop, I wanna be sure it's OK with the "rules".

BTW I'm not quite sure but if I understand the points system correctly, using another account only to bash beginners would work for a very limited period of time, since the rating would go high very fast, right ?
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Ze_PilOt » 13 Aug 2012, 13:29

You can actually move your account to the laptop and vice-versa.

If there is no other account on any of them, you should be safe.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Gowerly » 13 Aug 2012, 14:17

I thought we were saying one account per person, not one account per person per machine.
Gowerly
Evaluator

FAF User Name: Gowerly

Postby Ze_PilOt » 13 Aug 2012, 14:23

Let's say it's allowed if it's not used to abuse.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Gowerly » 13 Aug 2012, 14:23

I would be more happy if it was allowed but you had to use your name as part of your secondary account. That way it's obvious who you are.
Gowerly
Evaluator

FAF User Name: Gowerly

PreviousNext

Return to FAF Suggestions