Cybran Destroyer Land disable

Moderator: keyser

Cybran Destroyer Land disable

Postby Steel_Panther » 18 Feb 2018, 20:39

After just watching Jagged's latest cast ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP4MeJaa2Gg at about 32:35), I was reminded of an infuriating issue when using cybran destroyers on some maps. Often they walk on land when you don't want them to, losing speed and torp dps that can be critical. There should be a button to disable and enable this ability. If path finding was less terrible it wouldn't be an issue (they wouldn't walk on land if that was the slower path to get to the final destination, on water), but I assume that can't be fixed so another fix should be used.

Also, there are some rare situations where hover units go on water when you don't want them to, so an similar button for them could be useful as well. E.g. on Setons at mid where you select a large group of aurora and the move command is somewhere near the cliff by the water, so they walk all the way around to get into "the desired formation," sometimes just suiciding into enemy units or pd along the way.
Steel_Panther

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 19 times
FAF User Name: Steel_Panther

Re: Cybran Destroyer Land disable

Postby Farmsletje » 18 Feb 2018, 20:49

What i noticed in some meme canis game as well is that cybran destro's often don't want to leave the water when you tell them to do so. My salems didn't want to cross the land to get into the mid water on canis
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby MayorDamage » 18 Feb 2018, 22:27

if you want to cross land I found that placing one waypoint on land helps to guide them
MayorDamage

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: MayorDamage

Postby keyser » 19 Feb 2018, 01:23

Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Uveso » 19 Feb 2018, 07:05

The problem with the salen unit is well known.

It was already posted 2 years ago here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&p=127646#p127646

And as you can see if you follow keysers link, i tried several ways to reprogramm the salem.
Badly the layerchange is controlled by the c-engine of the game, not from LUA. (We only have access to the LUA part of the game)
So there is actual no way to change this.
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 291 times
FAF User Name: Uveso

Postby Mach » 03 Mar 2018, 14:18

destroyers dont go to land unless a waypoint is on land as they are faster and more maneuverable in water, that was to prevent them from going over land instead around if there is land in between 2 waypoints in water which they can avoid
Mach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Mach

Postby Uveso » 04 Mar 2018, 03:21

Mach wrote:destroyers dont go to land unless a waypoint is on land as they are faster and more maneuverable in water, that was to prevent them from going over land instead around if there is land in between 2 waypoints in water which they can avoid

I am sorry but i have to say this is wrong...

in case the AI has only salems in his platoon. Then the platoonlayer is amphibius and the platton is also using amphibious/land path marker for moving. (All AI's)
in case the AI has a landbridge and a target is nearer then 80 map units, then the salem will directly move to its attack destination (also over land). (Sorian AI)
in case the target is between 2 waypoint markers in a radius of 100 units, then the salem will move directly to the target, not using the last marker (Sorian AI)
in case tha AI build an expansion in the middle of the landbridge. The locationmanager is using seaunits from both watersides and send them to the same destination. (All AI's)
in case the AI has a platton with many sea units. Salems can move on land while building a formation. (All AI's)
in case a salem is attacking a land unit and the landunit is moving away from the water. The salem can follow onto land (All AI's)
in case you don't have water path markers and a Map with landbridge between 2 waterzones. (All AI's)

And at the moment, if the AI can't "graph" a path (using map markers for the way), then the AI will use the command "Unit:CanPathTo(position)" for pathing.
This is using the c-engine for finding a path. And it will return true for salems. And again, salems are moving onto land without using any waypoints.

Even if we had a map with good markers, the last function will always use CanPathTo for a path.

I am working on the AI pathing right now (and have already fixed all path issues)
See here for more information about pathing:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15780
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 291 times
FAF User Name: Uveso

Return to FAF Suggestions