Add unfinished buildings and amphibious unit icons

Moderator: keyser

Re: Add unfinished buildings and amphibious unit icons

Postby Farmsletje » 07 Feb 2018, 12:54

Cant you easily guess if the t4 is air or land based on movement speed? Ive never had any problems with this, neither do i know anyone who has.

Letters seem like a very ugly 'solution' btw
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby JoonasTo » 07 Feb 2018, 13:00

I use movement speed as well but we have thousands of games. I can tell all air units apart from speed on the radar as well and I'm sure you can too. New players don't have this sense so they have to rely on more easily recognisable patterns though.

We can also tell what land experimental it is because of what factions were against and the speed, new players can't. For that reason an ugly solution might be a good solution if it doesn't mess with other icons.
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Postby biass » 07 Feb 2018, 13:16

JoonasTo wrote:Oh you are right, didn't even realise there's a different icon for bomber from other high-altitude air units. That's a good example of why the difference in shape needs to be big enough to make a difference. Bomber shape is clearly not recognisable enough since I haven't caught onto that in two thousand games. We need to avoid a similar problem with amphibious icon.

I refuse to believe you haven't noticed the change, and if you really didn't, do you think the movement of almost 2 to 4 pixels will be good to define the unit?

"The icons are the same size regardless of map size so we don't have to worry about the map size being an issue."

Yeah, and the units are of so large a size that you can see the unit and the icon at the same time. Except for when you can't like in larger sizes like 80km.

I would hazard to say that language doesn't matter, icons are a visual language after all and as much as changing the icons to something nonsensical but distinguishable might solve a non problem, you're going to be confusing players and causing them to take extra time to parse what the unit is, which is worse off for gameplay. People need to read the icons as fast as possible.
As far as T4's, i would ask if we can change the icon size, if a good pixel artist were to put in the time im sure we could give each t4 their own icon, similar to commanders, that resembles their basic shape + guns etc. I only think this would work with the iconic T4 class however.
I would go so far as to say that this was planned by GPG, because the circle shape does seem really rushed to me

Anihilnine wrote:hey biass, its a bit hard to do everything at once but if you want to perfect the world go for it :)

Instead you'll make a worse solution for the sake of changing things? maybe you would have the time to perfect the world if you didn't waste all that time :)
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby nine2 » 07 Feb 2018, 14:00

Scus need an icon
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby nine2 » 07 Feb 2018, 14:08

Hexagon sounds weird. We already have symbols for normal units like bomber, bot, etc. Just take the normal symbol and put experimental symbol on it
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Postby nine2 » 07 Feb 2018, 14:08

I mean a big circle with normal symbol inside it
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Postby JoonasTo » 07 Feb 2018, 15:12

Yeah we can't do a hexagon, it turns out the experimental icon is already a hexagon. Which also rules out the circle so we have to do something.

If you mean a circle with a symbol inside, we would just end up with the same symbol for ahwassa and yotha. The direct fire cross inside a circle.

I made a couple tests with the letters and either of these would probably work.
JoonasTo
Priest

Postby Farmsletje » 07 Feb 2018, 15:15

JoonasTo wrote:I use movement speed as well but we have thousands of games. I can tell all air units apart from speed on the radar as well and I'm sure you can too. New players don't have this sense so they have to rely on more easily recognisable patterns though.

We can also tell what land experimental it is because of what factions were against and the speed, new players can't. For that reason an ugly solution might be a good solution if it doesn't mess with other icons.

Why do you assume new players dont know. I never got confused when i was a new player and if i wouls i could just zoom in you know, the thing that almost every new player does just to look at nice robots.

Also the first thing new players would look at are the biggest most awesome units, the t4's. So irregardless if they have a specific symbol or not they would still learn to distinguish between them.
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby JoonasTo » 07 Feb 2018, 15:22

Because when I was a new player I was like, wait, that big dot over there's an experimental, the hell is that, zoom in, oh it's a GC, nevermind, zoom out.

You could instead be just oh, that's a GC, nevermind. It's faster, it's easier, it's safer.

Just for biass
Spoiler: show

I am not quite sure but is this what you meant? I can see 5 unit models in a 5km map. So you are trying to say on a larger map, where I can't see the experimental models anymore, having better icons for them is bad? I really don't follow you here.
JoonasTo
Priest

Postby biass » 07 Feb 2018, 15:50

No, im saying still like having an M icon for more then one unit would work better on a 5km where you can see the underlying unit, then on a 80km where you cannot, and you need to consider both

I don't know where you got married to the letter icon idea, it's maybe the worst solution i could devise, and it's only based off of your play experience without the consideration of literally every other player on faf, i would try going to back to the drawing board and thinking up better ideas then this letter crap, it throws up hundreds of complications with parsing, similar names, language and hardly even manages to solve the "problem" if it even solves it at all

I just counted, there are 9 experimental units that share a first letter of their name with another experimental, counting the salvation which is now classed as a T4, that's more then half of the experimental units in the game, of which there are 17. Are you going to make up a special letter for each of those nine different cases? That's even worse a hell for the large population of faf who either A: DON'T speak english at a basic level and DON'T know the faf jargon (donut, bug, crab, etc)
Hell, its even even even worse if a letter is not actually a part of the alphabet of a certain language, like the letter G, that isn't a part of many different Cyrillic languages. (which it's speakers take up the majority of FAF's users, like it or not.)

ever heard of the phrase "kill your babies?" It applies here.
Actually - if this only works for you, i suggest keeping it as an icon ui mod, then you can do that while everyone else can stick to the basic one, you need a looooooot more time to think out a new set of icons for the official game then this.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

PreviousNext

Return to FAF Suggestions