Let's turn ladderweek leaderboard to general leaderboard

Moderator: keyser

Let's turn ladderweek leaderboard to general leaderboard

Postby JoonasTo » 13 Dec 2017, 18:35

So here's an idea, we have this amazing ladderweek leaderboard, why not use it for ladder division/season ranking?

Assuming you can get access to the system(pretty pls arkitect), just modify it to last the ladder map rotation/season timeframe(which can be debated) and use the old rules for giving out different points depending on what division(the limits for which can also be debated) your opponent is in. Sure, it's not perfect and there are issues with division allocation(smurf/previously unranked guy on top of division 4 atm, for example) but it's a hell of a lot more than what we currently have.

Not to mention it looks great(there's even a cool golden helmet for the leader instead of a boring number!)
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Re: Let's turn ladderweek leaderboard to general leaderboard

Postby Brutus5000 » 13 Dec 2017, 20:45

As far as I have understood Arkitekt's solution is a stateless server, that queries all of the ladder games inside the ladder week timespan, processes them and cache the result for 15 minutes. After 2 days he hit the current RAM limit of our API. The limit was set very low (256mb) - but that was 2 days. Can you imagine what would happen if he queries the games of a whole year?

But fear not: The ladder divisions will return (it's already coded in the java server). But not in 2017.
And hopefully someone will put it into the website then. (We have a serious lack of web developers and I'd be glad i Arkitekt would join the team.)
The 9th Doctor wrote:You think it'll last forever, the people and cars and concrete. But it won't. One day it's all gone, even the sky.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 288 times
FAF User Name: brutus5000

Postby PhilipJFry » 13 Dec 2017, 21:03

pls fix the password reset form first :>
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby biass » 14 Dec 2017, 03:12

Brutus5000 wrote:The ladder divisions will return

please dad
i have mostly basic web dev skills, i'll be happy to help get it running if i can, give me a shout
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby PhilipJFry » 14 Dec 2017, 08:34

there is a list with issues on github
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby arkitect » 15 Dec 2017, 12:13

Brutus5000 wrote:As far as I have understood Arkitekt's solution is a stateless server, that queries all of the ladder games inside the ladder week timespan, processes them and cache the result for 15 minutes. After 2 days he hit the current RAM limit of our API. The limit was set very low (256mb) - but that was 2 days. Can you imagine what would happen if he queries the games of a whole year?

But fear not: The ladder divisions will return (it's already coded in the java server). But not in 2017.
And hopefully someone will put it into the website then. (We have a serious lack of web developers and I'd be glad i Arkitekt would join the team.)

that was the original plan

I actually ended up having to persist data as I needed to maintain the first reported ladder rating for the week to determine a player's division. It calls the api every 5 mins but is only fetching games for the last 3 hours so it shouldn't have been too much load? i doubt it has needed to get a page 2 at all with the smaller window its using for updates.
arkitect

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: arkitect

Return to FAF Suggestions