your suggestions for the tutorial tab

Moderator: keyser

Re: your suggestions for content of tutorial tab

Postby Exotic_Retard » 08 Dec 2017, 00:14

hi. this is how i would do it, provided that all the things shown are actually made:

the point here is that i dont really like the overall ui of the client and how every issue is just solved with hiding things away in tabs in a different screen. here you see what is imo most important about the tutorials tab - the interactive element

just a list of links is kinda dry. this tab should guide a new player from 0 to being around 500 rated or so and ready to take on multiplayer, providing both game and community support, helping them get aquainted with faf in general.

thats why the most prominent parts are shown:
- the achievements that encourage you to start this and then continue to the end
- the missions which are the actual interactive element which will help you learn and whatnot
- an introductory video to explain whats going on

honestly i just made this in ~5 minutes. dont take this as a properly thought through and designed solution. neither is this even functional, i just stuck stuff in that i thought would help. other important stuff might be is missing. its just here to show an example layout which i feel would be more appropriate. mostly its about hiding all the links to the youtubers and wiki articles away so they arent just a list.

if you can give a list of actual working features, and how much space they need and so on (roughly) we can work out a proper actual layout for this.
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby Franck83 » 08 Dec 2017, 00:39

Maybe reward achievements with some galactic wars credits 8-)
Alliance of Heroes Mod is out ! Try it ! It's in the Mod Vault !
Franck83
Evaluator

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 122 times
FAF User Name: Franck83

Postby surtsan » 08 Dec 2017, 00:44

Love a lot more your design Exotic_Retard.
I guess knowledge tab is where you put all the links.
The best video are put on top right I guess.
surtsan

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 17 times
FAF User Name: Surtsan or odin002

Postby Franck83 » 08 Dec 2017, 00:45

Can we read achievements from a mod ? For example, i would like my mod reacting at achievements. Is it possible ? For example, unlocking some unit's features (classes...).
Franck83
Evaluator

Postby surtsan » 08 Dec 2017, 00:50

No clue sorry, I don't work at all on this kind of work (mods, in game features and stuff)
surtsan

Postby Franck83 » 08 Dec 2017, 00:55

If the achievement list can be save in game.prefs at the game launch, this could be very cool. Achievements may not only be a cosmetic reward. We can code some special mod features depending of theses achievements. Hope we can do it !
Franck83
Evaluator

Postby surtsan » 08 Dec 2017, 03:47

I agree that there are things to do with achievements. (but unfortunately it will be stored client side for a while...)

I just had a random idea while working on this future tutorial tab, it would be nice if they reach 100% to get an avatar or an acu skin or something (but whatever, that's for another time)
Random thought : I should try to wander in 'beginners' lobbies and ask what they would like to see in the tutorial tabs, I'm sure I could find some interesting ideas (later, maybe)

newtutotab.PNG
newtutotab.PNG (82.23 KiB) Viewed 3051 times

I followed your suggestions (the black vertical line is not perfect but dunno how to do it another way, best thing I could do, whatever, that will be replaced by something else another time)

Now I'll stop reworking on the design for the time being, and see if I can implement anything interesting on it now.
surtsan

Postby Franck83 » 08 Dec 2017, 13:53

Maybe you can use some aesthetics rules. The symmetrical division between 'your overall progress' (left) and video (right) can be better set from 1/2 to 2/3 (gold number proportion).

Exotic example is better because he avoids pure symmetrical choices.
Franck83
Evaluator

Postby surtsan » 08 Dec 2017, 18:47

For your 2/3 seems to be done.

So still working on it, got some progress :
t1.jpg
t1.jpg (284.12 KiB) Viewed 3000 times

t2.PNG
t2.PNG (923.58 KiB) Viewed 3000 times

So now you can click on the video and you will watch directly from client (or you want a link click on the youtube thing), you can browse the different videos too.

You can also now launch special scenario that are made for beginners by clicking on these purple images (that's the big interactive part of this tutorial tab), you can also browse through the different scenario.

Achievements : still to be done. Call for a personal trainer : still to be done (the call one side and notification for personal trainers one too).

The challenge maps : need to find some, unless I have missed some good challenges maps for newbies ? + still need to be implement even if I have the maps (but that should be like the scenario to implement)

Of course even when it is all finished, will need to review the code to be sure it works 100%, correct the mistakes and so on...

The purple images are just random, until we have proper images (and maybe even if it is not the final image, maybe too big ? I don't know)

As usual, feedbacks, suggestions, anything...go ahead

EDIT : Btw with a short discussion with speed2 (who is the one who made these tutorials, and everyone can make some if they want too, it seems like that's not complicated to make, so don't hesitate if you need, I guess the best would be to ask him directly about it if interested to make scenario)

There will be a need of categories because he was thinking of :
1v1 BOs, team maps BOs, some basic stuff, UI, some scenarios..and some other things maybe.

So this design at the bottom for these scenario are no good. Mmh
surtsan

Postby surtsan » 10 Dec 2017, 06:45

Progressing on the achievements code side (added the basic for it + added 2 achievements, the global progress bar will be done at the end) (note to myself : it doesn't auto refresh, need to restart client, will do later)
For example right now if you play a game, it will add to 1 to the total of games played (until you reach 10... the bar will progress, same for play 2 tutorials maps achievements)

I was thinking of having like 8 achievements or 6 for the players, I don't know the exact amount but I don't want that the newbie see "woh 40 achievements to do... yay progressed by 2,5% after playing 10 games....") but not sure (didn't think a lot about it)

Here is a sample (wip obviously) :
Reminder : took this achievements icon from downlord client but it will be replaced by something else obviously. The purple image for the scenario will be replaced by a better one obviously.
wiptuto.jpg
wiptuto.jpg (384.52 KiB) Viewed 2957 times

However, there is an issue, there will be different categories for map tutorials (like bo ones, eco, basic raiding & expanding or I sth..and so on) so the design with 3 icons and 2 buttons (next and previous) won't work. So that's why I thought maybe add a few button on the left to choose the categories ? Not sure, I'm not good at doing nice design.
Here is the idea for the final design (don't pay attention to the very weird details like the purple line) :
idea.png
idea.png (992.02 KiB) Viewed 2957 times

As usual, feedbacks, suggestions and so on.. go ahead ! Anything you wanna say. I hope you don't mind that I'm posting quite often but feedback is important.
surtsan

PreviousNext

Return to FAF Suggestions