your suggestions for the tutorial tab

Moderator: keyser

your suggestions for the tutorial tab

Postby surtsan » 13 Nov 2017, 05:06

Hey !

The tutorial tab is really empty, do you have any list of videos or link or suggestion on how to make it prettier and much more friendly to new players ?
What should it be added to it ?

Go ahead with your suggestions, don't hesitate !
Last edited by surtsan on 10 Dec 2017, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
surtsan

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 17 times
FAF User Name: Surtsan or odin002

Re: your suggestions for content of tutorial tab

Postby biass » 13 Nov 2017, 05:08

Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby surtsan » 02 Dec 2017, 23:20

Any suggestion ? I mean it would be nice to have a good tutorial tab in the client but need community feedbacks/suggestions.

Newcomers are important and should be helped as much as possible.
https://github.com/FAForever/client/issues/886

Because right now the tutorial tab is not really attractive (black background with only gray text.... eww) and not really helping so much :
tutorialtab.png
tutorialtab.png (46.65 KiB) Viewed 3993 times

I was thinking of adding a few youtube video links (or maybe even better, embedded? I don't know), for example this one of top tips is good for newcomers :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhrz0rZmnLU

I think there should be another short video to explain how to use the client and the very basic of faf (how to host a game, ladder and what is it, what is rating...) or maybe is it outside of tutorial tab? Or something else, but you shouldn't put only text/links on it, you need videos too.

The trainer team link is nice, but I feel like 1 line introduction to explain would be nice, like "Here is a group of people that are available to help you become better, so don't hesitate to contact them".

The 'help me I'm new' seems outdated (didn't look into details but ...) so maybe remove it too?

The 'https://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?title=Learning_SupCom' link, is it updated (no wrong information and co) ?

Thanks for the help.

EDIT : Suggestion from speed2 :
Implement the 'my tutorials' :
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dZS ... YGPY/edit#

>Response : I'll look into it if it can be integrated easily on the faf client, if it is done, speed2 may make more scenario for new players. It is a great idea.
surtsan

Postby Exotic_Retard » 02 Dec 2017, 23:44

in an age gone by, there was a set of concepts for challenge maps: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7250&hilit=challenge+map&start=10
these relics are still relevant though. making a few of these and incorporating them into a training program of sorts on the tutorials tab would be pretty cool.

if anything, i suggest the tutorials tab to be something that other resources cant - interactive.

Ideally you would have a list of tutorials, a list of challenges, and a progress marker for when you have completed them, as well as saying which difficulty you did it on. possibly some other method of high scoring, so you can compare yourself to other players. could even have a leaderboard for each challenge.

the purpose is to provide a single player experience that helps you get some of the habits needed for multiplayer, and not just playing vs the ai.

some sort of gridlike layout where you have a couple of youtube videos, a couple of wiki links (randomly picked tips area?) and then progress bar and some overall stats.
other things to include (but hard to make): some list of trainers currently online in faf, practise map suggestions (on click launch a lobby with the map)
on another tab you would have the challenges, and on a third you would have tutorials.

i personally think the overall ui of the client could do with a little touching up, but the important part here i guess is to get the content working, and rearranging it would be easier.
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby surtsan » 06 Dec 2017, 15:37

I wish... I had more opinions and ideas and suggestions but whatever.Tutorial tab needs love :( But thanks for the input, there were some good ideas !

list of tutorials : yes can be done
Achievements could be added but it would be client side only (so if they desinstall the client, use another computer or something it will be lost for most of them).

list of challenge: Probably can be done, first the maps need to be added on the vault (should be easy?) then need to see if it possible to do it easily to launch a game by clicking on a challenge
list of trainers currently online in faf : Need to think more about it, I don't know if server side there is an information I could grab to know the current list of trainers, otherwise it could be done only client side by adding manually a list of names of personal trainers to contact. (interactive way : I don't know if I can do it, maybe, maybe not, for example by showing only the online ones + when clicking on their name redirected to chat pm to him (or maybe send an automate message saying : hey I am interested to be trained ! could be easier to do than being redirected)
list of practise map interactive : For example if you click on the map it will host the map. Same thing that challenge, since in the end you just host a map. (reminder for myself : need to check first if he has the map, if not download it then host)
Speed2 tutorials in form of scenario : Too difficult for me to implement, so unless someone else does it, on hold. Or maybe I didn't spend enough time and didn't really think about it, will take a second look on it and see if I can implement it (but have doubt).

some other method of high scoring and leaderboard : not possible to do for the time being since it needs server side work which is not possible, on hold .
Overall ui of client : I don't know, I like it the way it is (but maybe it is because I've been seeing that for years), and some people like it too, that's a tough thing (you can't please everyone so better please the majority?) .

About tabs I don't know, if we can fit everything on one page it would be nice. I like design that are as simple as possible (he doesn't need to do 2 clicks to reach something but just one)

==========
video 1 (tops tips): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhrz0rZmnLU
video 2 (downlord vs other client) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqCs0WVGT_I
Okay, so I was thinking right now of, which would be something around that :

youtube image 1 - youtube image 2
name of video and link - name of video and link
very short description (what exactly?) - very short description (what exactly?)

Welcome to forged alliance forever ! If you want ever more information about this game you can check these tutorials in order to improve :
https://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?ti ... ing_SupCom
need more link btw

You can also watch streams of better players to get an idea of the way to play :
https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Su ... 20Alliance

You can also watch these youtube video which will help you improve :
need more link btw

Here are some challenges if you want to improve on the game too :
challenges to add () : yet to know what to see

Achievements :
[x] : Play 10 different maps on custom games
[x] : Get trained by a trainer
[x] : Reach 600 global rating
[x] : Play 10 games on ladder
[x] : Reach 500 ladder rating
[x] : Play 30 different maps on custom games
[x] : Reach 1000 global rating
[x] : Reach 1000 ladder rating

Some trainers are also available to help you improve on the game, so don't hesitate to contact them at all ! You can ask for one in #aeolus or find a name to contact on this topic :
Your Personal Trainer Team : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1614
surtsan

Postby surtsan » 07 Dec 2017, 04:58

Ok I am going to use this topic for more than just suggestions about his content but also to show the latest version and ask for suggestion/improvements/ideas :
EarlyAccessv0001.PNG
EarlyAccessv0001.PNG (108.13 KiB) Viewed 3846 times

Btw before anything :
That's just an early access of tutorial tab, an alpha version, it will change obviously to be nicer/better.
The strange grid (black lines) is something I don't know why it is there but it will be removed once I find out why.
The blue link are horrible to read for the eyes and needs to be changed.
The images for the video will be replaced (but dunno by what, need something to attract people) + need to be sure that we will use these video on tutorial tab
There is an obvious space issue, users shouldn't have to scroll.(I don't know yet what to do? multiple tabs inside tutorial tab, for example one for video...and the other..? )

Even if we forget the strange grids and blue links, I don't feel like it's nice enough. (maybe some other colour? something else ? bigger size of text too probably? that's not an easy one, since I'm bad at this kind of stuff and never pay attention to this kind of details)

EDIT : And don't hesitate to do constructive criticizes about it, or give some ideas/suggestions/whatever you are thinking about it.

EDIT 2 : note for myself : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJYYaF ... C2A/videos is heaven channel
Last edited by surtsan on 07 Dec 2017, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
surtsan

Postby FtXCommando » 07 Dec 2017, 05:42

Should link to Heaven's channel for the tutorial series. I think Gieb has his IRC bot do it in aeolus already but it would be good to have it here too.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby keyser » 07 Dec 2017, 15:25

maybe put achievement under the 2nd video, so it takes the bottom right spot, then no need to scroll
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby surtsan » 07 Dec 2017, 23:35

Finally I didn't put achievements under right tab, to be honest I don't want too much information on one tab (don't get them overwhelmed)
Added heaven channels link

Okay I think I split into 3 tabs, which should be enough (not too much, not nothing of content I guess), still need more links though.
tab1.PNG
tab1.PNG (109.67 KiB) Viewed 3761 times

tab2.PNG
tab2.PNG (54.04 KiB) Viewed 3761 times

tab3.PNG
tab3.PNG (62.36 KiB) Viewed 3761 times

As usual if you have feedback about the design or the color, English grammar/words/sentences or something, don't hesitate.

Call for a personal trainer : I thought that it would be nice if they could click on this button and then it will send a message in #newbie channel, then the personal trainers which are in this channel will get notified (need to add notification system for a special message but that's simple to do I think).

tutorials maps of speed2 : haven't got the time yet to see if I can implement it.

Achievements : same as above, btw the weird [] will be replaced, don't worry
surtsan

Postby Franck83 » 08 Dec 2017, 00:02

This is a good initiative. Keep on.
Alliance of Heroes Mod is out ! Try it ! It's in the Mod Vault !
Franck83
Evaluator

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 122 times
FAF User Name: Franck83

Next

Return to FAF Suggestions