Aim while walking

Moderator: keyser

Aim while walking

Postby --- » 12 Nov 2017, 19:15

Hey, i have an idea. Why not have a move order and CTRL+SHIFT to aim manually while walking?!
It makes ZERO sense you cant control what you aim at when walking. ZERO

You could treat the ACU/unit like a PD while walking, like a tank with a turning turret. A walking PD :D If the target is in range, he will fire, if not, it wont/jump to the next in the quee.
A marked path will me displaying with a blue line, and the marked target (path) gets another color.

Am I missing something?

Same applies for ACU upgrades - why not aim?
---
Priest

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 192 times

Re: Aim while walking

Postby Cuddles » 12 Nov 2017, 20:28

"Hindsight is 20/20"

Also

Simple things gets complicated rather quickly when you get down to writing code. It actually makes allot of sense when you start thinking that the logic for it must be coded. What happens when the unit it is attacking moves out of range? It must know not to switch targets and not to chase. Or must it switch targets, too what? What happens if you give another move command, should there be two forms of move commands? Are you sure it's the attack order and not the mover order that must change? You could just as easily have a second move order that doesn't cancel an attack order. If you change the move order then you can use it with ground fire also.

It's almost never just adding one thing. The ACU isn't alive, it's a peace of dumb code, it doesn't care about your logic.

No point in getting upset about these things, the programmers probably had to follow a billion logical paths and get the job done within a time limit.
Turinturambar defended very valiantly
Cuddles
Contributor

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 118 times
FAF User Name: Scoot

Postby ZLO_RD » 13 Nov 2017, 10:32

Same applies for ACU upgrades - why not aim?

missread this part, cause i didn't know you can't aim while upgraide... so i went testing.. and yes you can't aim while upgraide xD

usually unit can't have two orders (that is the problem), but i am able to walk and upgraide :P

i guess if you want this happen you will need some kind of new "attack" order, that does not interrupt other orders. or improve Domino's mod so it just works as easy as hotkey+right_click and sets and target priority...
Basicly it is too complicated and probably will not happen soon.
Attachments
7049489-ZLO.fafreplay
(5.26 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Zoram » 22 Nov 2017, 00:48

Cuddles wrote:"Hindsight is 20/20"

Also

Simple things gets complicated rather quickly when you get down to writing code. It actually makes allot of sense when you start thinking that the logic for it must be coded. What happens when the unit it is attacking moves out of range? It must know not to switch targets and not to chase. Or must it switch targets, too what? What happens if you give another move command, should there be two forms of move commands? Are you sure it's the attack order and not the mover order that must change? You could just as easily have a second move order that doesn't cancel an attack order. If you change the move order then you can use it with ground fire also.

It's almost never just adding one thing. The ACU isn't alive, it's a peace of dumb code, it doesn't care about your logic.

No point in getting upset about these things, the programmers probably had to follow a billion logical paths and get the job done within a time limit.

what is the point of this reply besides discouraging non-coders to make suggestions ever ?
Of course, it might be not possible, because coding reasons.
Of course it would lead to further discussions and choices to be be made for moving out of range scenarios.

So what ? Suggestions are being made, some can't happen, some might, and coders can use that "suggestions" forums to fish for ideas and select from what can be done.

Maybe this particular one can't, and so be it, but I'm sure it's something many have wished, and if someday someone can use this as incentive to spend some coding effort, then great.
If it's all pointless because "code it yourself", this subforum is rather useless.
Zoram
Priest

Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 111 times
FAF User Name: zoram

Postby Cuddles » 22 Nov 2017, 12:52

Zoram wrote:
Cuddles wrote:".......

what is the point of this reply besides discouraging non-coders to make suggestions ever ?

Because

"It makes ZERO sense you cant control what you aim at when walking. ZERO"

it makes allot of sense.
Turinturambar defended very valiantly
Cuddles
Contributor

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 118 times
FAF User Name: Scoot

Postby moonbearonmeth » 22 Nov 2017, 13:25

Zoram wrote:So what ? Suggestions are being made, some can't happen, some might

And today you found an instance where a suggestion can be made but can't happen.
Ask me about my amazing content production to watch while you wait in a lobby.
moonbearonmeth
Priest

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Suomi KP-31 desu

Postby Golol » 13 Dec 2017, 11:47

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5866

This might be relevant.
It think it would do what Blackster wanted and Domino pretty much made a finished mod.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... kpsGZAX4X4
Golol
Contributor

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: Golol

Postby Franck83 » 13 Dec 2017, 12:12

Golol wrote:viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5866

This might be relevant.
It think it would do what Blackster wanted and Domino pretty much made a finished mod.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... kpsGZAX4X4

This mod is interesting, it allows to set target priorities on the fly. I would like know if veteran players would find this feature usefull.
Alliance of Heroes Mod is out ! Try it ! It's in the Mod Vault !
Franck83
Evaluator

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 122 times
FAF User Name: Franck83

Postby Golol » 13 Dec 2017, 13:00

I probably made the thread after failing to focus down an ACU in a battle ^^. It's something all of us have experienced at some point.
Golol
Contributor

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: Golol

Postby keyser » 13 Dec 2017, 16:06

Yes, I've been pushing for it a while back. It would enhance a lot the gaming quality.
IIRC, the answer from dev was that the mod was too incomplete to be integrated.
I had some hope when Nono took it back, and made it a bit better.
But right now the development of it have been stopped.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Return to FAF Suggestions