Replay Jump-In

Moderator: keyser

Replay Jump-In

Postby partymarty81 » 28 May 2017, 21:50

I'm guessing this is just not possible..... how useful would it be if you could "jump in" to a replay at a certain point to replay an old game

I recently was watching a replay i lost against a turtle and would have loved to have gone from the point of gaining map control to try out the things i thought to do differently, even if it was against the AI
partymarty81

Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 53 times
FAF User Name: partymarty81

Re: Replay Jump-In

Postby IceDreamer » 28 May 2017, 22:26

Can't be done. A replay is simply a command stream, which is how the file can be so small. Literally, a history of the commands a player has given. To reach a time point, the game must be simulated in completion up to that point. Though you can put the game to +10 to speed it up, that's that best you can do. There's no way around this.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby keyser » 28 May 2017, 23:44

use the mod "Pause replay at time v1", fix the timing you want replay to pause, put +10, go do your dishes, and when you come back it will have pause at the moment you want, so you can watch from there.

also, i may didn't get it but; if i understand well you want to re-play the game at some point into the replay ? that's also not feasible.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Exotic_Retard » 29 May 2017, 00:23

in theory its possible but requires a shitton of data.

there exists and ancient broken mod called multiplayer save fa

what it does is save the game, then you can load it as a custom type of map assign players to it and start.

the first issue is its broken, as mentioned above.
the second issue is that the save file is quite some MB so its feasible to use this a lot

still i think its worth looking into at some point, after all the potential is insane - you can start a game with one mod and finish with another, test out different what if scenarios, use for balance/modding, practise games, even an insane type of tourney where all rounds are played in the same game, a little creativity and this could go an extremely long way
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby nine2 » 29 May 2017, 06:22

hmm but in single player they allow saving games ... really FA can't save the entire sim state properly? I would assume it can
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Masyaka » 29 May 2017, 08:56

Anihilnine wrote:hmm but in single player they allow saving games ... really FA can't save the entire sim state properly? I would assume it can

When someone desyncs, yeah xd
Masyaka
Priest

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Rok-Weiler

Postby ABSTRACT » 03 Oct 2017, 20:34

Anihilnine wrote:hmm but in single player they allow saving games ... really FA can't save the entire sim state properly? I would assume it can

The thing is, you can save it at a specific time. A replay that allows you to jump to a custom position, play back etc... like a movie, would requrie shittons of those states (and every single one would have to be loaded).

i could imagine a tool that generates a limited amount of saves for a replay (let's say every 2 minutes?), so you can jump to this points and the simulation will proceed there.
ABSTRACT

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: ABSTRACT

Return to FAF Suggestions