Replay Search Suggestion

Moderator: keyser

Replay Search Suggestion

Postby TheArchive » 09 May 2017, 03:11

So, the way to search for online replays is not very great right now (to put it mildly). I noticed a thread for this particular suggestion, but I felt it worth repeating; the way to search for the map name needs to be easier. For example, the map Dual Gap has a bunch of different versions, and the only way to find it is to type the full name into search. This can be extremely difficult because remembering the exact wording for the different version names is next to impossible, and if you can't remember the exact name then you're out of luck.

My second suggestion is for better sorting and searching based on things like time and the amount of players. If I want to watch a 6v6 or something like that, then I could add 6v6 as a filter so only those would show up, and if I wanted to watch a game with 12 players, then I should be able to do that as well. As it stands, you have to manually click every replay to see how many players there are. Time would be another thing to add. Say you add a filter where it only shows games that are longer than 30 minutes, or anywhere between 10 and 20 minutes, and so on. There is currently a duration column, but you can't actually sort by it or anything. Also, the duration isn't always accurate for some reason. I'll see a game that has the duration as 40 minutes or so, and yet when I play the actual replay it could end long before it reaches 40 minutes. There weren't any desync messages or anything either, so I have no idea why that happens.

Finally, I'm not sure if this is possible or not, but it would be amazing if replays could be checked for corruption/desync and automatically be deleted if those errors pop up when someone tries to view the replay. I've seen quite a few replays listed that failed to load due to being corrupted.

Anyway, those were just a few suggestions I had. Let me know what you think.
TheArchive

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Replay Search Suggestion

Postby Wesmania » 09 May 2017, 15:38

Concerning search options - the way search works right now isn't the greatest, since it's using custom messages to ask the lobby server about replays. It's not too flexible unfortunately, but we're working on a REST api that will make things much easier. It'll take a while, but it'll come.
Wesmania
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 79 times
FAF User Name: MazorNoob

Return to FAF Suggestions