Accessibility

Moderator: keyser

Accessibility

Postby SpoCk0nd0pe » 14 Jan 2017, 15:28

Accessibility is something FAF would probably always like to improve. So I think the suggestions board would benefit from a thread to gather all the ideas.

Please notice that I am fairly noobish myself. It might help because I have a fresh perspective but it also means there is lots about the game I don't know. For some things I don't know if they have been implemented yet. Also note that some of the suggestions are controversial (like area commands). This is mostly to gather ideas.

1. Add a standard key layout when installing FAF (already implemented).

2. Make transport behaviour less erratic (if possible).

3. Add a guide for the required firewall and port forwarding settings.

4. Add area commands.

5. Add a noob ladder map pool with the small, simple maps that do not require exotic BOs and less map awareness/management. Make it optional and limit the amount of games or rating you can reach on those settings. Have very few maps in the pool.

6. Incorporate some UI mods into the main game (e.g. make mass fab manager behaviour automatic).

By Biass:

1. Lower the rating for the first game search.

By PhilipJFry:

1. Proper descriptions of ACU upgrades such as UEF nano (how much hp/regen does it give) or the engineering suite (how much BP do you get from it).

2. Proper description for tac missile cost, strategic missile cost, strategic def missile cost and experimental missile cost.

3. Get rid of forum accounts and let people log in to the forum with their FAF acc

Hopefully more to come :)
Last edited by SpoCk0nd0pe on 16 May 2017, 10:49, edited 3 times in total.
SpoCk0nd0pe

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 37 times
FAF User Name: SpoCk0nd0pe

Re: Accessibility

Postby PhilipJFry » 14 Jan 2017, 18:18

SpoCk0nd0pe wrote:1. Add a standard key layout when installing FAF.

This is being worked on.
SpoCk0nd0pe wrote:2. Make transport behaviour less erratic (if possible).

Not sure but i think that is something that can't be changed at the moment.
SpoCk0nd0pe wrote:3. Add a guide for the required firewall and port forwarding settings.

Pretty sure the wiki tells you what ports to open.
SpoCk0nd0pe wrote:4. Add area commands.

Not sure if the council is in favor of adding that feature.
SpoCk0nd0pe wrote:5. Add a noob ladder map pool with the small, simple maps that do not require exotic BOs and less map awareness/management. Make it optional and limit the amount of games or rating you can reach on those settings. Have very few maps in the pool.

splitting the map pool might be a bad idea. It's already hard enough to get ladder games as it is.
SpoCk0nd0pe wrote:6. Incorporate some UI mods into the main game (e.g. make mass fab manager behaviour automatic).

UI-Mods will be integrated in the near future. Mods that make decisions for you (e.g. mass fab manager or the e-throttle of the ecomanager) might not be usable as ui mods in the future and will most certainly not be added to FAF).
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby SpoCk0nd0pe » 15 Jan 2017, 02:34

PhilipJFry wrote:
SpoCk0nd0pe wrote:3. Add a guide for the required firewall and port forwarding settings.

Pretty sure the wiki tells you what ports to open.

There is. It could be a forum sticky or tech support sticky too though and it could talk about what executables need inbound connections allowed by the firewall as well. Also a guide to find out if you have the correct settings would be nice too.
PhilipJFry wrote:
SpoCk0nd0pe wrote:5. Add a noob ladder map pool with the small, simple maps that do not require exotic BOs and less map awareness/management. Make it optional and limit the amount of games or rating you can reach on those settings. Have very few maps in the pool.

splitting the map pool might be a bad idea. It's already hard enough to get ladder games as it is.

I think that is only one side of the coin. Maybe someone overwhelmed with the map pool would like a smaller map set to begin with so he can get used to the game. I bet there are quite a few players put off by the amount of BOs to learn to even get into the game. The idea is to get people to play ladder that wouldn't play otherwise, not split the ones already willing to invest to get into competitive 1v1. If that really works is another story though.
SpoCk0nd0pe

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 37 times
FAF User Name: SpoCk0nd0pe

Postby biass » 15 Jan 2017, 05:13

So two things on the map pool idea

1: is that ladder games are already too hard to find as it is right now, like phillip said
and 2: is that 5x5 maps are normally more cancerous punishing for mistakes

a nice idea would be to lower the 1st game search ( people searching for the 1st time need to wait for a 1400 or so to get on,) (there is not that many people at that rating) and then when they get floored, they decide to not play again
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby ZeRen » 15 Jan 2017, 09:49

biass wrote:So two things on the map pool idea

1: is that ladder games are already too hard to find as it is right now, like phillip said
and 2: is that 5x5 maps are normally more cancerous punishing for mistakes

a nice idea would be to lower the 1st game search ( people searching for the 1st time need to wait for a 1400 or so to get on,) (there is not that many people at that rating) and then when they get floored, they decide to not play again

and maybe hide the rating in game
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby biass » 15 Jan 2017, 10:34

Then how am i supposed to know if i need to tryhard or not? :D
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby nine2 » 15 Jan 2017, 11:41

ZeRen wrote:people searching for the 1st time need to wait for a 1400 or so to get on

wait, what? is this true?
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby PhilipJFry » 15 Jan 2017, 12:02

I barely play any ladder but a decent part of my ladder games are against people with 0 games and 0 rating.
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby ZeRen » 15 Jan 2017, 14:17

Anihilnine wrote:
ZeRen wrote:people searching for the 1st time need to wait for a 1400 or so to get on

wait, what? is this true?

well my sec ladder game was against 1100, on map where you spawn in middle of lake, you can imagine my suprise xD
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby nine2 » 15 Jan 2017, 14:54

sounds like its not true :)
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times