Softles Appreciation Thread + Suggestions

Moderator: keyser

Re: Softles Appreciation Thread + Suggestions

Postby Heaven » 21 Sep 2016, 00:20

Requesting ui improvements for transports: Please make units inside transports accept command queues that let them execute orders after unloading.

The only way to currently give orders to units in transports is by exploiting the (narrow) time frame in between the loading command and the actual loading process. If you miss that time frame, you gotta wait till the transport lands to give any orders (which you may forget/be unaware of).

If such a mod is possible, please eliminate possible conflicts with ghetto gunships that must interpret attack commands separately.
Heaven

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 135 times
FAF User Name: Heaven

Postby Exotic_Retard » 23 Sep 2016, 21:34

ok so i took a look at the transport code

and unfortunately it does indeed seem to be mostly engine side - at the very least unit are very stubbornly deselected when in a transport and none of that deselection code is in lua it seems

since transports have other quirks like being able to land on water just because they have the transport category, and more, i suspect its actually engine side and not that i didnt find anything

so yeah, that's that, i guess : (
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby CookieNoob » 29 Sep 2016, 19:47

Hey great Softles!

there are three other suggestions that would be nice to have:
Check out the next level of maps: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13014
For adaptivity, customizability and less clutter in the vault.
CookieNoob
Priest

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 249 times
FAF User Name: CookieNoob

Postby Softly » 01 Oct 2016, 01:24

SirTobi60 wrote:Add the option to select a special type of "closed spot" when hosting the ultimate maps (I can add a boolean to the scenario.lua file if you want). Should be selectable like an AI, but not spawn an acu (in this way one can easily spawn mexes via the dynamic spawn script).

Eminently possible, but lobby alterations stray into the territory of featured mods (needs some fancy loading to make it work). That just adds some overhead to the process of delivering anything here (make code alterations, make PR to repo, convince people it is useful, wait X amount of time for PR etc).

SirTobi60 wrote:Make the client check for a new map version when you host a game and show a dialog to download the updated map

I'm not sure how the map vault system works right now, but I don't think it does anything particularly clever, and so dding this feature would be opening up maps in general to abuse. If I added a new version of wonder with 0 mexes and forced everyone to upgrade to it, I don't think folks would be very happy.

SirTobi60 wrote:Fix the issue with replays that are not shown when the game was played on a version of the map while a lower version is uploaded

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this issue, could you do some extra description for me (if I can replicate it that would be great).

I'm also still working on getting coloured clan tags implemented, hopefully that will happen at some point.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby nine2 » 01 Oct 2016, 05:37

Softly wrote:
SirTobi60 wrote:Make the client check for a new map version when you host a game and show a dialog to download the updated map

If I added a new version of wonder with 0 mexes and forced everyone to upgrade to it, I don't think folks would be very happy.

Perhaps this:

The Map & Mod councillor would be responsible for setting which maps are obsolete by which maps.

For example Twin rivers v3 would obviously make v2 obsolete.

However Twin Rivers 5v5 v3 would not.

However Twin Rivers 5v5 v3 would make Twin Rivers 5v5 v2 obsolete.

Don't try and automate map version obsolete checking ... have an admin set it all up in data. However you can automate the list of maps they need to manually review.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby speed2 » 01 Oct 2016, 08:42

I think the system should be more clever now when downlord fixed it. I remember him saying that you can't update new versions of someone else's maps. So if you talk to him you'll get better info about that.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby CookieNoob » 01 Oct 2016, 09:01

Softly wrote:
SirTobi60 wrote:Add the option to select a special type of "closed spot" when hosting the ultimate maps (I can add a boolean to the scenario.lua file if you want). Should be selectable like an AI, but not spawn an acu (in this way one can easily spawn mexes via the dynamic spawn script).

Eminently possible, but lobby alterations stray into the territory of featured mods (needs some fancy loading to make it work). That just adds some overhead to the process of delivering anything here (make code alterations, make PR to repo, convince people it is useful, wait X amount of time for PR etc).

That would be such a nice addition... this way one can have vacant starting locations without having 10000 additional lobby options...

Softly wrote:

I'm not sure how the map vault system works right now, but I don't think it does anything particularly clever, and so dding this feature would be opening up maps in general to abuse. If I added a new version of wonder with 0 mexes and forced everyone to upgrade to it, I don't think folks would be very happy.

As it is now, you can only upload a map with the same name when you are the author of the already existing map. So for example when Zock asked me to fix the spawns on break V2 (which is only there because seero couldnt replace the original map), I had to rename the map to break V3 and upload it under that name. Therefore, I think the autoupdate wouldnt be a problem. Since I fix all bugs, typos and other stuff that I see on the ultimate maps (I am the author), I upload new versions quite frequently. The maps have an advanced script, a typo will cause the map to spawn all mexes and no acus (which is obviously bad). This doesnt have to show up when you use the default options, but it can with some settings. This is a bit more severe than a missing mex and is also hard to avoid (even though I test the maps quite extensively) xD

However, in case there is a future map councelor, he could also do that (but to be honest, with all the waiting involved in getting something done around here, I doubt that I have the patience for convincing someone who is 97% of the time afk).

Softly wrote:
SirTobi60 wrote:Fix the issue with replays that are not shown when the game was played on a version of the map while a lower version is uploaded

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this issue, could you do some extra description for me (if I can replicate it that would be great).

I'm also still working on getting coloured clan tags implemented, hopefully that will happen at some point.

Search the vault for "Anchor", you will only see a handfull of games which are really old. The map was played after that, but the replays dont show up.
Another good example is "Canis Ultimate". The map is graphically massively improved and you can see it from the preview (it is a bit lighter). If you search for that you will find 7 games, but none has a higher map version than the one I actually uploaded first.
This is true for all maps that are played on a higher version than the first version uploaded. You could also try to find a replay on another ultimate map, by entering the name in the search window. You will only find the replays on v0001 of the map (if I uploaded that version first)...
Check out the next level of maps: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13014
For adaptivity, customizability and less clutter in the vault.
CookieNoob
Priest

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 249 times
FAF User Name: CookieNoob

Postby JaggedAppliance » 03 Oct 2016, 00:33

It would be cool if you could fix QAI's !streams command.
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/c/jaggedappliance
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 734 times
Been liked: 313 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Postby Softly » 03 Oct 2016, 23:03

QAI doesn't provide a client id field to the twitch API call, which means that since twitch updated their API it can no longer get streams information.

Easy to fix (see https://blog.twitch.tv/client-id-requir ... .4judtt1i3 ) but I'm not the right person to be in charge of QAI's API keys. I have informed the relevant people though :)
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby Medicraze » 27 Dec 2016, 19:18

Softly wrote:I aim to meet a few suggestions each week, and since my knowledge of the game code is limited it may be more efficient to get me to do client tasks.

However, if what people want is game fixes then that's where I will spend my time.

I checked out your list Zock, and there's a bunch of stuff that would come under subjective UI things, something that I don't have the authority to decide on. However, I did make a UI especially for you:
Control Group Zoom Mod.zip

Zock wrote:Fix zooming height when double pressing control groups

Glad I could help!

Just letting you know the download zip wont transfer. idk if this is an error from the uploading source, but eh... If anyone can contact me...I NEED THIS GENIUS MOD!!!
Medicraze
Medicraze

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 72 times
FAF User Name: Medicraze

PreviousNext

Return to FAF Suggestions