Unit Build Templates?

Moderator: keyser

Unit Build Templates?

Postby CxxxCUPS » 21 Aug 2015, 21:41

I use templates for things like T1 PD and mass storage, but when I build a land factory, I would like to use build templates for units. I usually like to build a couple scouts, some flak, tanks and arty, and let them group up ready to go to battle. To do this, I have to click for each unit produced which wastes time. Think about it, large groups of T1 units and I would have to have clicked each one once.

I like to transport engys out to build a fac far out on the map, then start with all the T1 units to give full protection. So once the fac is up I have to click for each unit, but I want to have that fact continually producing a mix of units which would take too much time clicking. A build order or build template would really help me out

One strategy would to have 4 factories and each one specialize in a particular unit (I use shift key which is 1 click equals 5 units, does anyone know the infinite setting?).

This would mostly be used in early time 1v1 matches.

Thanks
CxxxCUPS
Crusader

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: cups

Re: Unit Build Templates?

Postby yeager » 21 Aug 2015, 21:53

Click the factory and above the pause button hit the infinit repeat button, now your set :D
yeager
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: Yeager

Postby nine2 » 22 Aug 2015, 05:10

This feature exists already but is a bit obscure. Also it might be broken right now... I couldn't get it to work but I would need to disable all mods etc.

* Load your factory up with some units.
* pause the factory
* Go to the storage tab (as opposed to the building or upgrades tab)
* The repeat queue button is replaced with an add template button. Press it
* (Might have to deselect the factory at this point)
* Select some factory and swap to template view (same was as with engie) and select your template
* I find it very useful at this point to rename the template and replace the image

nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby nine2 » 22 Aug 2015, 06:00

Another (underused) technique is this... maybe your air queue would look like 5 inties, 1 scout, which I write as (5I 1S)

Don't have a template like this: 5I 1S

Do it like this: 5I 1S, 5I 1S, 5I 1S, 5I 1S, 5I 1S, 5I 1S, 5I 1S, 5I 1S, 5I 1S, 5I 1S, 5I 1S, (basically the same thing repeated 50x)

The reason why is say you want a transport. You just cancel the queue, queue a transport, then hit your template.

The result is you get your transport and go back to normal queue with minimal attention/apm, and you don't end up building 20x transports.

Same goes for t2 land. Say I need a flak pronto, I cancel queue, order a flack, then hit my mega queue for normal t2 spam.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Postby CxxxCUPS » 27 Aug 2015, 08:24

Ok I will have to try this and get back to this post. Thanks and great examples.

I am also now committing myself to learning hotkeys (Thanks to another player in the community coaching me). I am wondering if hotkeys can help in this instance? maybe they are easier than mouseclicks.
CxxxCUPS
Crusader

Postby nine2 » 27 Aug 2015, 12:39

both are nice
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Postby CxxxCUPS » 28 Aug 2015, 03:09

Anihilnine wrote:This feature exists already but is a bit obscure. Also it might be broken right now... I couldn't get it to work but I would need to disable all mods etc.

* Load your factory up with some units.
* pause the factory
* Go to the storage tab (as opposed to the building or upgrades tab)
* The repeat queue button is replaced with an add template button. Press it
* (Might have to deselect the factory at this point)
* Select some factory and swap to template view (same was as with engie) and select your template
* I find it very useful at this point to rename the template and replace the image

I tried this and no luck, but will try again. Hotkeys are pretty cool, with practice I hope it will solve my problem, but they only go in groups of 5 ;-( which is tough in 1v1 early game when i only need 1 or 2 scouts/AA/arty

How do i make a fac produce engies that immediately attack/reclaim? I am using patrol but need to know how to get that reclaim bonus distance. I will search and answer my own question.
CxxxCUPS
Crusader

Postby angus000 » 28 Aug 2015, 03:45

CxxxCUPS wrote:How do i make a fac produce engies that immediately attack/reclaim? I am using patrol but need to know how to get that reclaim bonus distance. I will search and answer my own question.

Just press and hold alt and then set the rally point as usual with right click
angus000

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 39 times
FAF User Name: flexible

Postby CxxxCUPS » 28 Aug 2015, 08:35

angus000 wrote:
CxxxCUPS wrote:How do i make a fac produce engies that immediately attack/reclaim? I am using patrol but need to know how to get that reclaim bonus distance. I will search and answer my own question.

Just press and hold alt and then set the rally point as usual with right click

Thanks

I found out how to do unit templates: just pick a set that you want, then click the double square/infinite build. It simply makes a unit then puts it back to the end.

Do you know how to split attack with engies? Like when Aeon engies are in the base and assist different facs/mexes, as if turning them into an engineering station.
CxxxCUPS
Crusader

Postby nine2 » 28 Aug 2015, 09:02

you cant, there is no split attack for engie assistance. manual orders :)
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Next

Return to FAF Suggestions