Proposed Seraphim Unit for FAF V1.2

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Proposed Seraphim Unit for FAF V1.2

Postby Resin_Smoker » 10 Mar 2015, 20:29

Kalvirox wrote:Ok. Serious feedback.
"Transforming" is new. We like new things. Does the game need it, probably not. The idea for this unit is hit and do lots of damage yes? Tranforming allows for it to escape easily enough whilst still getting in. Why is this better than drops ect.? More tanky than a transport.... and that is about it. This is not what Sera "needs" right now. Sera harass is fine, drops work well even if they are zthuee they do fucktonnes of damage. Same with ilshies. This unit is not needed. Funnily enough Yhtota's are good against things that don't move - for sniping power ect. The whole "hit and run" dynamic does not need to be added too. The things that do are the balance between Othuums and other t3 land (maybe except harbies because they operate differently). Fix that and sera is fine.

So feedback. Even if you added this unit. The way you intend for it to be used has already accomplished by other methods. I feel it is rather redundant when there are other things that need fixing. As a sidenote, I think people would end up using this unit for another purpose. Sniping t2/t3 shield generators with shield piercing missiles. 400 damage 1shot's a t2 Shield gen. So it seems far more efficient to use it that way.

EDIT: maybe we can kill 2 birds with one stone? If you give it a bit more speed as a plane, then it could be a gunship/tank. Gunship good at killing tanks, tank good at killing buildings? You could then keep the transform idea (even though I am not a fan of it). This would balance Othuums ect?

Rather then talking out of your arse how about you try the unit before posting.
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 106 times

Postby Azure_Spectrum » 24 Oct 2018, 00:31

Hello great modder, I truly Love the diversity of this particular unit. In the base game it allows Seraphim to dispatch of enemy defensive positions while not wasting transport space. I love the way it looks, the weapons it has and the fact that it IS balanced unlike everyone else seems to think. I am sorry for bothering you after all this time, but I was wondering if there was an update for this unit so that it can keep its veteran status when it transforms, because it sucks to lose all the progress when I play it on the TVG mod. Btw, this unit is really cool!
Azure_Spectrum
Crusader

Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Azure_Spectrum

Postby Resin_Smoker » 24 Oct 2018, 09:04

No worries M8 and yes the unit is awesome, while the community (if it can be called thus) is stuck in the past.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUgyGTg ... 2xw03c010c
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Postby biass » 24 Oct 2018, 10:34

Resin_Smoker wrote:while the community (if it can be called thus) is stuck in the past.

edit: hey what a thread, thanks for necroing

Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Resin_Smoker » 24 Oct 2018, 12:43

Your welcome asshole
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Postby Azure_Spectrum » 25 Oct 2018, 04:59

Wow this community really has it out for modders, I have no idea why? Think of it like this.

If strategy games are like digital fields where people control various units using a mouse, than it is basically like playing with toys. Why is having another toy so bad?
Azure_Spectrum
Crusader

Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Azure_Spectrum

Postby Resin_Smoker » 25 Oct 2018, 11:02

Point blank, with peoples fragile little ego’s they really hate to lose a match. It’s to the point where they’d rather play a known quantity rather than possibly allow any form of change. It’s this asinine belief thats commonly referred to as “balance” by some of the more seasoned players. Another way of putting it would be, anything that changes said balence upsets their proven strategies. Thus diminishing the petty joy they get from stomping new players who aren't yet in the know. This has the direct effect of making FAF a very small and sour community of elitist pricks that prey on new players.

Sure there’s a mods section but whens the last time you’ve seen anything signifigant released? Most of the content that comes out either rehashes or updates something thats from the days of GPG.
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Postby biass » 25 Oct 2018, 13:18

The community doesn't have it out for modders, as much as it seems so between here and also for EQ mod, noone can argue about having the option to add lil bits and bobs to the game as they please. I've even made mods and have the ability to make units myself, and the resources to help you start are plentiful and well created.

If you missed it, our dearest Resin has neglected to remind you that this unit was intended for the base game, not as a separate addition, this does - as all integrations do - remove your choice to play with that "toy" or not. You're not longer playing FA, you're playing FA + the extra unit.
I don't have to tell you this sparks controversy, people came here to play Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance for the most part as they were promised and extra little perversions of the game detract from that, people are still a little peeved about T3 MAA, and engimod too. Do they have a right to be? I think so.

As for balance, unit design can be a little tough for people who don't have a lot of other voices or a project scope laid out in front of them and this unit, speaking about it's inclusions into the main game, clearly didn't have one. This has no less than three unique abilities and weapons which is mostly unprecedented along the entirety of supcom as a series and cover a massive range of uses including CC for low tier units, piercing shields(why is this, again? why not make a shield buster missile platform unit?) and yes the transforming ability. Which does mean as soon as seraphim hits t3 they no longer need to use a transport and a lot of resources to drop t3 units across rivers, onto plateaus, all that stuff. The "it needs micro" is a nice way to mask it but clicking a button when it leaves spawn, a move command to a plateau and then another transform button when it gets there isn't too hard, especially when people inevitably create a hotkey and some kind of UI mod to reselect it when it transforms. It's probably less micro then just loading a brick onto a transport, just over a shorter amount of time.

As for community reception, it really does suck but when you present something to people you really cannot turn sour when people have a negative reception else fence sitters might decide to side against you because of "tone", trust me, i know what it's like.

But uh..
Spoiler: show
- Trying to flush joking comments away as "off topic"
- Claiming the "faf elite" were trying to maintain the status quo by saying no to your idea
- Claiming the game will devolve if your idea is not implemented
- Claim naysayers are irrational
- Claim creating content is pointless because your idea was not accepted
- Claim people who have not created any units do not have value
- Claim your contributions have stopped because your idea didn't get accepted (which... was probably true, but you are guilt tripping people here)
- Claim noone takes mods seriously because your idea didn't get accepted
- Claim people are flaming you when people have posted paragraph long posts about their concerns
- Claimed that a certain piece of feedback was the only feedback item of quality because the user in question accepted it
- Claimed naysayers were not up to your level of modding ability
- Claimed people who didnt test the unit were not allowed to have a voice of value
- Claimed naysayers were a minority
- Claimed naysayers were against the very popular concept of faction diversity
- Claimed naysayers were talking out of their arse or trolling
- Managed to get away with "the bad words" and insulting people while some poor polish dude cannot say peepee in chat without getting a ban which honestly i wanna know the secret to how to do that do let me know chuck me a discord pm

And thats not counting this page.

Dear resin: i know what it's like, you made it and you presented it, its your 'baby' and it sucks to know what you worked on for so hard isn't liked - ive had that experience. But try and detach yourself away from your ideas and think about what you would say if someone made the exact same thing and it got implemented. Imagine your dual gap game where one t3 unit flies in before you get omni and then snipes all your shields? where you have to spend mass on transports to do some drop on badlands but some guy can use this unit to just jump up for free? What if are not a seraphim fan or, what if another faction got this unit instead?
I know you'll just have the same old response. but hey, you already dug your grave a while back it seems.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Franck83 » 25 Oct 2018, 13:24

Hi Resin_Smoker,

It seems that i missed this seraphim model. The chain lightning gun is really cool, neaty and the concept of land transformation to air is so fun. Hybrid role unit is a nice idea. The unit looking and the lightning chain suits well with the seraphim feeling.
As i already did it often before :) , i will take a look at the unit script to understand theses features. If you agree, i can reuse part of your work in my mod (especially the chain reaction could be a cool hero power).

I'm sad that resin_smoker you got this feelings about the FA community. As a modder we should not care too much about people negative reactions on mod creation. When someone says 'i don't want a new unit on FAF after you worked on it 100+ hours', this appears to be a really disrespectful reaction. But simply most don't realize the work done and the feelings behind. So community is not a whole and don't forget that some people love your work, and they want more of it ! And maybe chris Taylor could see your work and would say 'Well done on your seraphim unit, resin'.

About the FAF jedi concil direction, we should be grateful for people that share their time to admin it. We should focus on the positive part. This is not perfect but as a modder we should stay humble. We must be realistic and not think that our mod will change FAF direction and bring astonishing excitation. Even if ideas and concepts are genius, history tell us that a lot were not recognized at their creation time. So don't care about political decisions on FAF direction.

Focus on creativity and on people that support your work !
Alliance of Heroes Mod is out ! Try it ! It's in the Mod Vault !
Franck83
Evaluator

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 122 times
FAF User Name: Franck83

Postby Resin_Smoker » 25 Oct 2018, 15:35

I'd like to comend you both for responses that were though out and well articulated. It's not often that I see this online much-less for that matter here.

Now as for the unit(s) in question, it was a combined effort of some talented people who were very passionate about the game. That was until GPG sold us all out and the darker side of the forums took over what was left. So yeah, I no longer hold hope that anything created would ever be used in a meaningful way. Now that being said, mod anything you want to your hearts content... I no longer care.
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools