IceDreamer Tweak Pack

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: IceDreamer Tweak Pack

Postby Exotic_Retard » 28 Mar 2014, 18:53

i agree with most of what you put in there, and it doesn't seem that ludicrous to me,
bomber script is controversial as always :P , i wont comment on that

about Atlantis, i think that it firing from underwater may or may not be a good idea, i'm not sure about that one
what i would have done is buffed the AA on it to a reasonable amount, like 600-1200dps (1-2 cruisers worth), i think over 800 may be a bit much

reason for this is i think that it would look silly firing from under water :/
and one cruise doesn't make that much difference if there is a lot of air concerned, so it firing from under water would be just slightly annoying and just seems unintuitive to me
(only unit that can shoot at air from underwater)

currently it has 320 dps vs 500 from cruiser
http://faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/unit.php?bp=UES0401,UES0202
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby Mad`Mozart » 28 Mar 2014, 19:59

Whats this? Didnt we had a patch not long ago?
I personally strongly disagree with patching the game too often. So we had a testing period, then we had a patch, and now some people disagree and want to push their changes? Sorry, but i call this bullshit. Lets stick with original patching schedule, where you can form your balance team and properly discuss and test all changes.
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby IceDreamer » 28 Mar 2014, 20:29

What the hell is it with people's inability to read. I very clearly set out what this is in the top of the OP. It's a mod where I can make changes I want to make, test changes other people want to make, and generally gather data on everything. A mod. Not a patch.

Point is by doing this, some of the smaller, more sensible changes will be refined and perfected able to go right into the next balance patch if people want them.

It's not that people disagree with the previous patch. It's that the patch fixed some big issues and in doing so has exposed a few more.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 488 times

Postby Mad`Mozart » 28 Mar 2014, 20:56

I still dont understand why you need to do that alone and waste your time, and i still would not trust any balance changes made and pushed by single person. Balance team ftw
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 431 times

Postby IceDreamer » 29 Mar 2014, 00:20

OK I'll spell it out for you. I was heavily involved in the last balance patch. During that time period, we had practically nil input from the community, which was incredibly unhelpful. This time I want everyone to be going IN to the balance testing period with a rough idea of WHAT needs testing in the first place, as well as possible changes.

Had you even begun to read the OP, you would know that the "Sane Changes" section is not "Made and pushed by a single person", but a collection of ideas from all over the community. I go into the chat, I ask "So, what things do people think need changing" and I sift through the results. Think of my (Limited) modding skills as merely a conduit so that people can experiment.

Since I am the kind of guy who is always thinking about this stuff, and randomly gets ideas, I will also put a few of those in, as well as code experiments or mad theories, but these will always be kept separate. Indeed, if people are too dense to keep the two apart in their heads, I may be forced to split the mod in half :(

Instead of being unhelpful to the largest POSSIBLE degree, you could have just said "I agree with this and this, I don't agree with this because this, and I have noticed THIS which isn't even on your list". Everyone has ideas, everyone could have input, everyone can help to streamline this game, be it through mod or patch. Even you.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby Adraius » 29 Mar 2014, 02:43

IceDreamer wrote:OK I'll spell it out for you. I was heavily involved in the last balance patch. During that time period, we had practically nil input from the community, which was incredibly unhelpful. This time I want everyone to be going IN to the balance testing period with a rough idea of WHAT needs testing in the first place, as well as possible changes.

This, particularly the second sentence.
Adraius

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Adraius

Postby errorblankfield » 03 Apr 2014, 06:51

I'm a bit worried about he the megalith build rate change. Primarily because if you dare build something, you'll deplete all your mass and energy in a millisecond.
Now if this meant all that mass and energy went into said unit and ceased the second the unit was complete -this idea would be great.

But I'm fairly sure there is an issue with building code that causes wasted mass/energy when you build something that is worsened by high buildpower. Why do I say this? When messing with cheats, I spawned myself 100+ hives to set about making a really fast base. But the second I build my first pgen, I was out of mass and energy... Pgen's don't cost more than your initial mass (they cost 75 mass), yet having all that extra build power wasted all my initial mass.

I'd be willing to bet it's cause the game removes resources by the tick -so briefly using a lot of mass kills your stocks even if your stocks exceed what is being built. (In other words, if ticks go by the second, you spend mass at a rate of 100, then you build something that costs 201 mass, it will cost 300 mass total. Cause the game has to charge it's full rate even when there is only 1 mass left to build, it'll charge 100 mass for the final 1.) So if we give a unit insane build rate, it will always deplete all stocks even if we could float the brick/whatever.

I like the idea though, perhaps just toning back the build rate into just semi-insanely huge if this bug pops up. (Or fix the bug but it might run deep.)
errorblankfield
Priest

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: errorblankfield

Postby Resin_Smoker » 03 Apr 2014, 20:13

Hover bomber fix has been updated.
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 106 times

Postby IceDreamer » 04 Apr 2014, 18:40

errorblankfield wrote:I'm a bit worried about he the megalith build rate change. Primarily because if you dare build something, you'll deplete all your mass and energy in a millisecond.
Now if this meant all that mass and energy went into said unit and ceased the second the unit was complete -this idea would be great.

But I'm fairly sure there is an issue with building code that causes wasted mass/energy when you build something that is worsened by high buildpower. Why do I say this? When messing with cheats, I spawned myself 100+ hives to set about making a really fast base. But the second I build my first pgen, I was out of mass and energy... Pgen's don't cost more than your initial mass (they cost 75 mass), yet having all that extra build power wasted all my initial mass.

I'd be willing to bet it's cause the game removes resources by the tick -so briefly using a lot of mass kills your stocks even if your stocks exceed what is being built. (In other words, if ticks go by the second, you spend mass at a rate of 100, then you build something that costs 201 mass, it will cost 300 mass total. Cause the game has to charge it's full rate even when there is only 1 mass left to build, it'll charge 100 mass for the final 1.) So if we give a unit insane build rate, it will always deplete all stocks even if we could float the brick/whatever.

I like the idea though, perhaps just toning back the build rate into just semi-insanely huge if this bug pops up. (Or fix the bug but it might run deep.)

THIS is the kind of feedback I need. Everyone look at this guy, he's awesome!

You bring up a totally valid, non-opinionated possible killing blow to the idea, and I will definitely investigate this further. Glad to know you like the idea though :)
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby Ceneraii » 04 Apr 2014, 19:32

Does the Janus bomb while on patrol with the primary weapon change?<- Should be a feature of all fighter bombers not just corsair I think.
Also reducing medusa stun further will make it too weak vs PD I think. Already it has trouble hitting things (Today I had a game where it took a medusa over a minute to kill a t1 pd, try this with other faction arty...)
Atlantis is already hard enough to deal with if you don't have strong naval control and navy has good enough AA anyway.

Don't like speed increase on aurora even with more firing randomness while moving, right now they are very susceptible to bombers and it should stay that way. Making them harder to catch with land and bomb with air will make problem bigger not smaller I think.

Then again I'm just averadge player, take feedback as you will.
Ceneraii

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: Ceneraii

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools