New explosion FXs (RK's Explosions)

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: New explosion FX's

Postby RK4000 » 12 May 2014, 19:32

drunk_on_chaos wrote:I've already mentioned this to you in chat, but could you do something with the SCU explosions? Just add factional diversity and make the explosions a little more interesting?

I've always found SCU explosions to be a little rubbish to look at, so hopefully you can spice them up a little :)

Noted, will see what I can do with them in V7 or V8. Currently I plan on just fine-tuning exp and building explosions some more for V7, but I might sneak in the SCU explosion adjustments aswell. The problem with nuke-like explosions is that adding anything other than simple emitters (as noted in the below example) is quite difficult due to how they work. (yes, the SCU explosion is more similar to a nuke than a "normal" unit explosion in terms of the way it is handled in code.)

WhiteDeath wrote:In this mod (V6):When an experimental (or a unit) explodes it have a huge shock wave that looks really good, like disturbances in the air caused by heat. Could you please add that effect (make it a little bigger) to the nuclear explosions of the four factions? That would be so cool. I think the UEF nuke is perfect as it is, maybe it needs a more clearly visible mushroom cloud and that air disturbance shockwave. Just make sure you put it before the real shock wave starts to move! If you could make this happen I would gladly test it and take a look at the effects. I know very much about nuclear explosions and might be able to help.

Contact me if there is any movement on this idea you need help with!

- White Death

Nice idea, I've never thought about doing anything about the nukes, at least not in the near future. However, this would be an easy thing to add and since you mentioned it I think it would also look really good. Will contact you when I work on these :D
RK4000
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: RK4000

Postby spooky9 » 14 May 2014, 00:12

Just tried out your mod - nice work.
I do have a feeling that the animations are a bit too long though. As nice as they are, they detract attention from the game.
spooky9

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: spooky9

Postby RK4000 » 14 May 2014, 00:29

Not sure what you mean by "animations", I have not touched any animations of units, I only changed the particles emitted on death.

And if you do mean the particle effects, which ones are you referring to? I'm going to need some more details if I am to adjust things next patch.
RK4000
Priest

Postby Totaltuna » 14 May 2014, 02:06

Hi RK, i checked it out and here are my notes:
Aeon land: One green dot explosion and they fade away, maybe you can alter stuff with the debris or change the core explosion itself?
Subs: the explosions from the submarines are a bit small, and not noticeable even the nuke subs seem a bit dull
Support commanders: every faction has kinda the same explosion
Air Experimentals are nice with that you can see applied damage to it and the smoke trail but upon death they dont really do much, it's a tiny flash and then they drop out of the sky, maybe you can change the explosion when the experimental gets destroyed?
Did u forget the scathis? Because that explosion has no resemblance to the other cybran explosions(if i remember correct)
H.A.R.M.S (t3 torp defense cybran) have 2 explosions one above and one beneath water, is this intentional?
Fatboy is nice but maybe some debris flying around? like the atlantis debris.
Well... this is picky but the defense sattelite structure stays "on" after the explosion for a second or 2 (the lights are still blinking) maybe you can make it last a bit longer(the explosion)
Maybe submergedable units like experimentals are given a diferent explosion underwater?
Mass fabricators in general have a short explosion, seen the damage they dish out i wexpected a longer more violent one
Chicken bot: Blows up and then there's a slight pause before the ion storm pops up, maybe something to fill the space up(longer explosion)?
All the land units have basically the same explosion depending on the tech level they are on: Maybe you can add some variation in that depending on their purpose in battle

I was really picky because you asked me to be so here are my suggestions!

To add: I really love the mod and the jumps in quality between versions are amazing! I gladly await newer versions!
Totaltuna
Crusader

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 19 times
FAF User Name: Totaltuna

Postby JAAIA » 14 May 2014, 03:33

Hello there,

Being as to I have just made an account on these forums, I may be misguided in some things. I have also only played Supreme Commander on X-box 360, which isn't the best, but I have followed the caster Gyle on YouTube for a while an know the extreme basics of the Forged Alliance version.

To my point, in watching Gyle's most recent cast on Twin Rivers, 6 vs. 6, with this new explosion mod, I saw that the destruction of the CZAR has not been altered. I could have seen wrong or your intentions are satisfactory with is destruction. Not being first hand, there are some variables that may be wrong, but with what I saw, it looked like an un-altered death.

Hope to have a reply with your intentions.
JAAIA

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby IceDreamer » 14 May 2014, 03:52

AFAIK he intends modify just about every graphical element in the game. It's an enormous task. The Czar might just not have been done yet, it's still an extreme WIP I think :)
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby RK4000 » 14 May 2014, 14:12

JAAIA wrote:Hello there,

Being as to I have just made an account on these forums, I may be misguided in some things. I have also only played Supreme Commander on X-box 360, which isn't the best, but I have followed the caster Gyle on YouTube for a while an know the extreme basics of the Forged Alliance version.

To my point, in watching Gyle's most recent cast on Twin Rivers, 6 vs. 6, with this new explosion mod, I saw that the destruction of the CZAR has not been altered. I could have seen wrong or your intentions are satisfactory with is destruction. Not being first hand, there are some variables that may be wrong, but with what I saw, it looked like an un-altered death.

Hope to have a reply with your intentions.

You are correct, air experimentals currently have unaltered explosions, aswell as the Scathis. This will be worked on in the next version.

Totaltuna wrote:Hi RK, i checked it out and here are my notes:
Aeon land: One green dot explosion and they fade away, maybe you can alter stuff with the debris or change the core explosion itself?
Subs: the explosions from the submarines are a bit small, and not noticeable even the nuke subs seem a bit dull
Support commanders: every faction has kinda the same explosion
Air Experimentals are nice with that you can see applied damage to it and the smoke trail but upon death they dont really do much, it's a tiny flash and then they drop out of the sky, maybe you can change the explosion when the experimental gets destroyed?
Did u forget the scathis? Because that explosion has no resemblance to the other cybran explosions(if i remember correct)
H.A.R.M.S (t3 torp defense cybran) have 2 explosions one above and one beneath water, is this intentional?
Fatboy is nice but maybe some debris flying around? like the atlantis debris.
Well... this is picky but the defense sattelite structure stays "on" after the explosion for a second or 2 (the lights are still blinking) maybe you can make it last a bit longer(the explosion)
Maybe submergedable units like experimentals are given a diferent explosion underwater?
Mass fabricators in general have a short explosion, seen the damage they dish out i wexpected a longer more violent one
Chicken bot: Blows up and then there's a slight pause before the ion storm pops up, maybe something to fill the space up(longer explosion)?
All the land units have basically the same explosion depending on the tech level they are on: Maybe you can add some variation in that depending on their purpose in battle

I was really picky because you asked me to be so here are my suggestions!

To add: I really love the mod and the jumps in quality between versions are amazing! I gladly await newer versions!

The Aeon land explosion is currently made to look really minimalistic and round (like their unit designs), however I am open to more suggestions like that. If I get more feedback to change it I will do it, but I would of course like more than one opinion on that.

Subs are (or should be) using the same explosion code the rest of the navy does. Some (like the T1 subs, IIRC) however, do not seem to be using it and instead just spawn a few normal non-factional explosions. This is noted and will be looked at.

Air experimentals (and Scathis) are unaltered as stated before, and is near the top of the list for the next versions' additions.

The HARMS should be using the T3 building explosion. I currently can't check this, but it might be bugging out because it is technically an underwater unit. I will have to investigate once I get the time, good find.

I see no harm in adding some debris to the Fatboy explosion, why not, I'm putting that on the list for V7.

The sattelite building has always done that, I don't know why exactly. It's a bug that is present in the default game already, not just in my mod, so I will have to look into fixing it for the base game first, then apply my explosions.

Submerged experimentals will have different explosions underwater, yes. Currently they explode with the same explosion (fire/sparks/etc) they do above water, which looks weird, I agree, but this also happens in the normal non-modded game aswell, so I will have to fix that first and then apply my own effects to it.

As far as the mass fabs go, currently all buildings use the same explosions code (it gets the size and tech of the building, then bases the number of subsequent explosions, and the size of said explosions, off that. The massfabs (T2 ones) are pretty small buildings, and T2, so they get roughly the same explosion as another T2 building of the same size. I do however plan on making more specific explosions for the more volatile units, yes. However, probably not in the next patch.

The chicken bot I felt like would be overkill if it had a huge explosion sequence and then the ion storm aswell, so I made that slight pause on purpose, since the ion storm adds a lot to the visual aspect of the death already.

As far as varrying land unit explosions, yes, currently any unit of the same tech level and faction uses the same type of explosion, regarldess of unit type or role. This will be changed eventually, however, this will require a lot of work. (The current code is universal and does not require me to tell it "this unit blows up like this, that unit blows up like that.", in order to lower the amount of work needed to be done. It just checks for the unit tech level and faction, then automatically gives it the corresponding proper explosion.) Adding a specific explosion to a specific unit takes quite a lot of time, not to mention making the explosion look fitting aswell. However, once I am done with all the core features I plan on doing (aswell as bug-fixes and tiny fine-tuning adjustments here and there), it is a possibility I might do varrying explosions based on the unit type or role.

Great feedback from both, would love to hear more like this.
RK4000
Priest

Postby JAAIA » 15 May 2014, 01:43

Thank you for your reply. Hope I can help in the future!
JAAIA

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby nine2 » 15 May 2014, 04:33

Just wanted to say new FX are cool and nice work. I also wonder have you considered performance of ASF explosions for setons? If an explosion here affects performance, maybe you could just get rid of the explosion altogether here. Not saying it actually is a problem - I have no idea - but it would be a shame to make those notoriously laggy battles worse.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Ze_PilOt » 15 May 2014, 08:50

The amount of projectiles is the culprit on ASF battles.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools