New explosion FXs (RK's Explosions)

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: New explosion FX's

Postby Totaltuna » 02 May 2014, 23:04

This mod is a great addition to the game, i especially like the new building explosions. Keep up the good work!
The only point of improvement i can think of is the bright commander explosions (if this is possible).
I eagerly await what you're gonna add next and how that will look!
Totaltuna
Crusader

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 19 times
FAF User Name: Totaltuna

Postby Aulex » 03 May 2014, 07:08

RK you should check out this mod, some of the effects in it look excellent. Maybe you could use some http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/28/supre ... -makeover/
"Let's start beating ass and die" - drunk TA4Life

"Just because you have a d*** doesn't mean you need to be one...pussy" -Blackdeath

SCOUTING SAVES LIVES
http://imgur.com/YGk0W0o

How to play Sup Com by Ubilaz
http://goo.gl/je83z
Aulex
Contributor

Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: VoR_Aulex

Postby Ze_PilOt » 03 May 2014, 09:36

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7314

Most of the effects come from the Firey mod.
Some parts of the mods were implemented, or more precisely inspired FAF modifications.

The reason why I did not implemented it as-if is that it's a perfect example of what I'm calling "over the top", and more annoying than nice.

Also most of the effects didn't looked so good outside screenshots or some angles.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby RK4000 » 03 May 2014, 11:59

Well, while some of that mod's effects do look nice, I'm not keen on using someone else's work in my own.

And (one of) the problems is, while some of those effects do look nice, the particle count would destroy the FPS like nothing else. People raged about my mod when it decreased the performance even slightly, and it doesn't come close to that mod in terms of particle count. I'm trying to keep the performance the same (or even better, which it already is, in terms of land explosions), since I want everyone to be able to enjoy the mod, not just people with uber PCs. :)

And adding onto what pilot said, as it stands, some of the effects there are indeed over the top and would distract form the gameplay, something I'm trying to avoid.
RK4000
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: RK4000

Postby IceDreamer » 03 May 2014, 15:29

I agree with RK. However, I would like him to look at that link and view the first video there, paying special attention to how that Factory explodes with several small explosion blasting bits off it, then one MASSIVE explosion as the unit dies. It might be OTT, but the parts which aren't, since they never worried about performance, look significantly better IMO than RK's equivalents.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Ceneraii » 03 May 2014, 16:04

Should take performance into account though. Part of the beauty of RK's explosions is that it also makes performance better in majority of cases and I know RK will optimize it even further in the future.
Ceneraii

Has liked: 104 times
FAF User Name: Ceneraii

Postby RK4000 » 09 May 2014, 01:40

Just to clear some things up since I am getting a few complaints about this in chat.

About bloom: These explosions were designed with bloom on. Without bloom, they do not look nearly as good, so I've decided to force bloom on (with a few tweaks to make it not as bright). I figured it's better to force some not-so-bright bloom, rather than people complaining about how the explosions look, when they haven't seen them the way they are supposed to look. It is impossible to leave bloom off AND for the explosions to look like they do now. I'm just going to put it straight like that. Bloom enables some fancy lighting effects and other useful (and shiny) things to fine tune explosions, which is why they do not look nearly as good without bloom. Now, I haven't explored every possibility, but for now, it seems like it is not possible to have bloom off AND have the explosions look as they should. Next update I am thinking about removing the forced bloom, but people need to realize that the explosions will not look as good without bloom.

First post also updated with this information.
RK4000
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
FAF User Name: RK4000

Postby drunk_on_chaos » 12 May 2014, 18:55

I've already mentioned this to you in chat, but could you do something with the SCU explosions? Just add factional diversity and make the explosions a little more interesting?

I've always found SCU explosions to be a little rubbish to look at, so hopefully you can spice them up a little :)
drunk_on_chaos

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: drunk_on_chaos

Postby drunk_on_chaos » 12 May 2014, 19:00

Side note:

Everything else about this mod is brilliant in my book. I can see why some people are saying that the T3/experimental explosions are OTT, but personally I think most of them are perfect, the experimental and Navy explosions are so nice to look at.
drunk_on_chaos

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: drunk_on_chaos

Postby TheRedViper » 12 May 2014, 19:25

In this mod (V6):When an experimental (or a unit) explodes it have a huge shock wave that looks really good, like disturbances in the air caused by heat. Could you please add that effect (make it a little bigger) to the nuclear explosions of the four factions? That would be so cool. I think the UEF nuke is perfect as it is, maybe it needs a more clearly visible mushroom cloud and that air disturbance shockwave. Just make sure you put it before the real shock wave starts to move! If you could make this happen I would gladly test it and take a look at the effects. I know very much about nuclear explosions and might be able to help.

Contact me if there is any movement on this idea you need help with!

- White Death
Attachments
SCFANUKE.jpg
SCFANUKE.jpg (401.09 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
"Also, what the f*** was that buildorder you whore" -Kalvirox
TheRedViper

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 26 times
FAF User Name: TheRedViper

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools