New explosion FXs (RK's Explosions)

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: New explosion FX's

Postby RK4000 » 15 Mar 2014, 17:12

Huh, well, the big lightning is supposed to just flash quickly and then disappear immediately, as if it's basically a quick energy explosion, then there's a bit of a charge still left (which is the part of the effect that lasts a while after the unit is dead). I didn't think the initial lightning is too big because it's only there for like 1/6th of a second, I designed the explosion this way so it differs from the cybran one, which is already an electrical discharge-type of an explosion, so I needed to throw in a twist for the Seraphim one. Guess that's just a taste issue then :?

The plane falling down is indeed strange, don't know why it has a much larger explosion than it should. Will investigate.

Also, the ball of 2d light was never removed, so I can't re-add it. ^^
RK4000
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: RK4000

Postby Exotic_Retard » 15 Mar 2014, 17:19

thing4.png
thing4.png (666.92 KiB) Viewed 3657 times

mex eplosion looks just silly because of red circle, and 90% of it isn't visible, its as if there is only a red circle and nothing else
thing5.png
thing5.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 3657 times

even more apparent with t2 radar, this shows everything that's wrong with cybran explosion imo:

1. silly red circle is so bright thats all i notice, and to add to it its off center, which i can see because the circle is so obvious
2. you can clearly see radar through the entire explosion, when explosion is supposed to cover the unit, so it cant be seen for a tiny bit, when it can be seen again, it is a wreck.
this gives a seamless transition which is key imo - this is true for all your explosions except maybe aeon - i can see right through them, and they are too big, and too transparent
3. look at the lighting - similar to last point, it take up a lot of space but is mostly transparent, the texture is good, but it should be smaller. in combination with a more opaque explosion, it will add a nice accent to the explosion while not making it look completely inconsistent (this is true for all your explosions except aeon again :P)

- if you cant readd the 2d white circle, but hte point still stands, your explosions are too big and too see through :/

- the human eye can notice large flashes much more/better than anything else, so i can clearly see that huge lighting flash, and it gets in my way, this is even more extreme for t3 units btw

hope this helps
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby RK4000 » 15 Mar 2014, 17:23

Well, buildings are going to use a separate set of explosions entirely, so these issues will be addressed.

As for the see-through, the current explosions are not really much less transparent, so I don't really know what could be improved here, aside from engulfing the whole unit in particles, which is not good for the graphics cards of the players :?

Don't know why it's rendering the particles BEHIND the units on some of your pictures though, that does not happen on my side.
RK4000
Priest

Postby Ceneraii » 15 Mar 2014, 18:03

My gameplay perspective:

First of all, I disagree with there being something wrong with Sera explosions; while playing it was actually a bit helpful because I clearly saw when units died, but not distractingly so. It really gave me that ''here comes the BOOM" feeling. The big flash is very short like RK said and keeps true to the Seraphim ''energy discharge'' habit.

Watching the fights in free cam mode was pretty awesome and definitely more enjoyable than it is now. Performance was very fluid as well. All in all a very welcome addition I hope to see integrated after all the refinements RK has planned.

Edit: I was a bit skeptical of the Sera explosions at first as well but playing a match easily alleviated that.
Ceneraii

Has liked: 104 times
FAF User Name: Ceneraii

Postby RaptorJesus » 16 Mar 2014, 23:22

I think all of the t1 land effects look great, especially Cybran and UEF.
but the Cybran t3 lightning/pulse looks a little weird, at least to me. it seems like it's a little bit late, like the explosion you see is the weapon used to kill it, instead of the death explosion from the vehicle.
And the Seraphim explosions, like Sako said, looks too big and too fast, even at t1.
however I also agree with Ceneraii, they seem like they would be helpful from in-game, and does match the Seraphim style of energy weapons and explosions well (Chicken ball of death, Zthuee rounds, Ilshavoh and siege tank shots, flack, etc)

also, the two exp. explosions you showed look awesome, and I like the Monkeylord death animation a lot so far, but the fatboy takes way too long.

cant wait to see what else you have planned, good luck!
├┬┴┬┴┤° ͜ʖ °) hey├┬┴┬┴┤
RaptorJesus
Crusader

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 19 times
FAF User Name: RaptorJesus

Postby RK4000 » 17 Mar 2014, 03:07

Uploading 5 replays of 3v3 games with new explosions.

(Played real shit because of late hour, disregard that :? )

The games do use the Supreme Destruction mod, so a few things are changed. Nothing game-breaking though, I'm just using my own mod as test-ground here.

Also updated first post.
Attachments
Explosion Replays.zip
Five 3v3 games. Mostly all factions.
(686.44 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
RK4000
Priest

Postby Aulex » 17 Mar 2014, 21:57

Make t1 air explosions less explosive
"Let's start beating ass and die" - drunk TA4Life

"Just because you have a d*** doesn't mean you need to be one...pussy" -Blackdeath

SCOUTING SAVES LIVES
http://imgur.com/YGk0W0o

How to play Sup Com by Ubilaz
http://goo.gl/je83z
Aulex
Contributor

Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: VoR_Aulex

Postby Exotic_Retard » 17 Mar 2014, 21:59

so, I've watched the replays,
and i must admit that the sera explosions don't seem as bad now, but they are still a bit too big for me, making them ~20% smaller would fix it i think

the cybran explosions: the red circle annoys me. making it more transparent (75% of what it is now i think) would mean that everything is fine.

uef explosions are fine, but they have this very slow "shockwave" that lingers afterwards and just ruins them for me, making that faster would fix that.

aeon explosions are fine, but when the disappear, I'm not sure how you did it, but it looks a bit like the explosion was a dome covering the unit and seems to fade to the top of the unit rather than the center, maybe its just me though :?

also, an interesting thought that crossed my mind:

maybe make the explosions more like the acu explosions? considering those are the only "factional" explosions that i can think of the top of my head, because atm they look quite different, and when you see someone die, all their units look strange next to the very different explosion, especially aeon (sera and uef the least, because their explosion color fits their explosions the best)

maybe replace the red circle from cybran explosions with some elements from the acu one?
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby RK4000 » 22 Mar 2014, 21:54

Uploading a new bunch of replays later today, stay tuned! Also slightly tuned the explosions.

Changes to this patch:
*Fire added to UEF explosion
*Slight change to the charge on the Cybran unit explosions (longer lifetime)
*Re-addition of the debris (they were accidentally removed)
*Reduced emission rate on "fall down" particles when planes are shot down
*Slight scale adjustments for each tech. (slightly bigger for T1, slightly smaller for T2 and T3 was left the same)
RK4000
Priest

Postby lextoc » 23 Mar 2014, 00:22

Have a look at the explosions in combat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHbISuCoNiM
I'm watching you!
lextoc
Supreme Commander