New explosion FXs (RK's Explosions)

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: New explosion FXs (rks_explosions)

Postby Molotow » 11 Oct 2014, 03:17

First of GREAT MOD RK!

I'm not gonna make any remarks on perfomance lag with the mod, because I haven't noticed any.
As for ways to improve the mod... I think cybran smoke should be a tiny bit darker and bugexplosionsequence ever so slightly shorter. Beyond that I think Firebeetles needs superdeathweaponeffect.

All the best to you!
All hail the firebeetle!
Molotow
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Molotow

Postby TheRedViper » 24 Oct 2014, 12:51

RK4000 wrote:Well, I haven't touched nuke explosions before because those are much more complicated than the simple effect I've made so far. :lol:

I will see what I can do with these, but if I'm not satisfied with how I made it look, I'll have to delay it until V9 after I've learnt a few more things. Who knows, I learn more about how effects work every day when working on this, so it's fully possible I'll figure out how to make these as epic as they deserve to be before V8 is out :)

I remember an old mod where the UEF explosion and smoke effect for the nuke was changed, I think it was TotalDestruction or something like that. Looked very good in my opinion.
"Also, what the f*** was that buildorder you whore" -Kalvirox
TheRedViper

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 26 times
FAF User Name: TheRedViper

Postby RK4000 » 28 Oct 2014, 21:10

Quick update!

The probability of integration just skyrocketed. Sheeo, Ice and I have come up with a simple idea as to how to make these explosions toggleable.

If it works, there will likely not be a V8, but we will see full integration into the main FAF patch, with a toggle in the options menu. Stay tuned for more updates as to how these tests go.

As for all the other feedback, thanks, it is greatly appreciated and I will take it into account, be it in V8 or the integrated version :D
RK4000
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: RK4000

Postby RK4000 » 29 Oct 2014, 00:59

Double post, but just an update on the testing of toggleable explosions:

Everything aside from building/navy debris has been tested with the prototype toggling system and it works without desynching.

What this means is that one player sees the explosions, while the other sees default FAF explosions, WITHOUT a desync happening. The only thing still left are the debris and experimental explosions.

Possible issues we will run in:

1. The explosions mod changes the timing on the experimental explosions. It's a very slight change though, so I propose we keep the timing and just use regular FAF explosions on them instead of the mod's shinier explosions.

2. Making the UI communicate with the sim so it is possible to toggle this during a game. So for example you could play a game with the explosions off, then turn them on when you watch the replay, while you're watching the replay.

3. Fully matching the default FAF explosions. I have made a better version of the default FAF explosion (less particles used, better fire texture, better smoke etc). I can revert it fully to the default FAF explosion, but this version is better for performance if that is a concern.

4. When I move on to modifying weapon effects, do those fall under the toggle too? They will not be nearly as different compared to their default counterparts, but still something to consider.

Other than that, stay tuned for updates :)
RK4000
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: RK4000

Postby E8400-CV » 29 Oct 2014, 06:23

Awesome! Finally no more dividing the community over overblown explosions.
E8400-CV
Evaluator

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: jcvjcvjcvjcv

Postby Aurion » 29 Oct 2014, 11:03

E8400-CV wrote:Awesome! Finally no more dividing the community over overblown explosions.

You could at least show some appreciation for the work instead of packing something nasty in your comment like you're doing.
Aurion
Priest

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: NuclearPudding

Postby --- » 29 Oct 2014, 13:34

E8400-CV wrote:Awesome! Finally no more dividing the community over overblown explosions.

My god, nothing else to do but repeat your already acknowledged hate over and over again? :roll:

On topic:
Sounds great, good job :)
---
Priest

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby E8400-CV » 29 Oct 2014, 22:39

Aurion wrote:

You could at least show some appreciation for the work instead of packing something nasty in your comment like you're doing.

Perhaps read again and remember more than the last sentence...
E8400-CV
Evaluator

FAF User Name: jcvjcvjcvjcv

Postby Aurion » 29 Oct 2014, 22:54

E8400-CV wrote:
Aurion wrote:

Perhaps read again and remember more than the last sentence...

Your post consists of only one sentence...

Also, if you mean your main stance in this, it doesn't change my comment at all. You have no constructive criticism at all so you might as well stop posting about this.
Aurion
Priest

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: NuclearPudding

Postby E8400-CV » 30 Oct 2014, 17:44

Then also learn to count
E8400-CV
Evaluator