Seiya Mods

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Seiya Mods

Postby seiya » 17 Oct 2013, 01:38

I hope this is the right place for this.

I am in the process of updating my mods, some of which have bugs that I am finally squashing (like a memlock crash error for LC on very large fights). Also there are a few new ones I will be putting out semi-soon. I am interested in which ones have the most interest from players.

Gametypes:
Learning Commander - army level up mod that aims to promote smart, non-rushing, gameplay. Every unit applies army exp that levels up just about every aspect of a unit.

M.A.D. - a mod meant to just make the end of a game come quicker. All damage done increases a doomsday counter. The counter represents the percent increase to damage, range, aoe radius, and fire speed of all units on all sides.

Energy Redux - this one is still in the planning stages, but the idea is to move energy from being a building resource to a maintenance resource. You use it to pay for shields, radar, etc like normal, but it is also used for movement (maybe aircraft only), firing, and some other odds and ends. The idea being to take your generators from being an irritation when they are hit late game to a very good strategy, as well as limiting plane swarms and possibly swarms in general.

MiniMods:

Ranged Defenses - flat 50% increase to all defenses' ranges.

FASTER - doubles build speed. Cost per second also doubles due to the build speed increase.

Slower - halves build speed with changes to costs so the cost per second is the same.

Area Commands - Allows for paint targetting (a really cool command from SC2) and reclaim. Also can do saturation targetting for artillery and bombs. What this means is rather than all bombers, artillery, and nukes aiming for the same spot, they are spread out in an area so you get large coverage.

Auto Engineers - allows any unit with engineering abilities to automatically reclaim if under 50% metal (and stop if metal is topped out), auto repair, auto assist, and auto capture if they are not doing anything else.

Various units:
Advanced PD - I consider this mostly overtaken by Black OPS units, but if there is interest, I will continue work on them. They have always been intended as anti-experimental, but with slightly different flavors. Super heavy beam weapon for Cybran (the oldest custom unit), super "Annihilator" laser for UEF (the oldest custom projectile), and deathorb for Aeon (the oldest new projectile type). I never did come up with a good idea for seraphim.

Bouncer Shield - I am going to start finalizing this one in a bit. It will be a T4 Cybran shield that bounces most projectiles off of it. Large area of coverage and enormous energy cost. However, guided projectiles (bomber bombs, TML missles, etc) can go right through it.

Healbot - Do some more work on this and make it more balanced/interesting. The version I have been messing with on my computer does a percentage heal, but for all of how useful that is, it does get kind of broken at times.

My various joke units... maybe.
seiya
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Seiya

Re: Seiya Mods

Postby rockoe10 » 17 Oct 2013, 13:38

Awesome! I saw your mods in the Vault and downloaded them :D

I like the idea of Area commands, Auto Engineers, Bouncer Shield (SC2?), Healbot (sooo cool, did you think of making a mobile TMD? Or combining the two ideas into one?)

Plus, the Energy Redux sounds very interesting. I would like to see how it works in action. It would completely change the game.

Learning Commander would be nice for some Team AI play i think. Sounds like it would have a similar affect as the True Vet.

As for the others, they sound cool but not sure how much I personally would use them. But thats just one person's thoughts.

P.S.
I want to thank you for getting back to me on the Healbot post so fast. Much thanks!
ZeP: doesn't matter if it's an avatar, a trophy or a collection of dead cats
ZeP: it's the same code
rockoe10

Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 17 times
FAF User Name: Rockoe10

Postby seiya » 18 Oct 2013, 07:05

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I finally finished a mod, not just dropped it after getting it "enough" done. Here is a bug free, feature complete version of Learning Commander.

http://supcom.theworldsofseiya.com/LearningACU3.zip

It is also uploaded to the mod vault.
seiya
Crusader

Postby Shadow Night Black » 26 Oct 2013, 21:13

Every time I try to run this with the FAF Co-op campaign it crashes to desktop (also tried running it as the only mod running, and is installed by the vault - so no double folders etc).
I've attached the logs

Shadow
Attachments
game (2).log
without any other mods
(87.72 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
game.log
with other mods
(90.59 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Shadow Night Black

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: ShadowNightBlack

Postby seiya » 27 Oct 2013, 02:19

Huh, I had assumed coop was similar enough that it would act like the singleplayer would. I was wrong. I just tried it myself and the log looks really similar. I have a feeling, based on that logs, that it is AIbrain related, but I will do some hunting to see what could be causing it.

Edit:
MAD also has the same crash. I am fairly certain it is because I access the AI brain a lot as a central spot for army variables. I will need to do some more experimentation to narrow it down though.
seiya
Crusader

Postby seiya » 27 Oct 2013, 05:12

I officially have no clue what is going on. I know the exact line that is causing the game to crash, but it shouldnt.

Code: Select all
  for id,bp in all_bps.Projectile do
    if bp.Physics.Lifetime then
      bp.Physics.Lifetime = bp.Physics.Lifetime * RangeScale

else
      bp.Physics.Lifetime = 30

end
  end

The seperated out code is the problem.

I use ModBlueprints() to increase the speed and lifetime of projectiles so they can have greater ranges. Due to the possibility of projectiles that would normally never run into a lifetime problem running into them (they fly way off the map), I force a lifetime onto them. This isnt in the coop code anywhere, so I do not know why it crashes. I can remove that line without breaking the mod, it just makes for the possibility of projectiles never dying.
seiya
Crusader

Postby Shadow Night Black » 27 Oct 2013, 11:43

Its a great mod and there are only a few things I would change (these observed from playing the final mission of the campaign in co-op mode):
1) SCU's scale up far too quickly. If I remember rightly you said before that you gave them a buff modifier so they scale quicker, but at the end of the mission my SCU's were at 1200% (and giving me over 120 mass each :D) while my ACU was only at 400% and most of my other units around 200%! This lead to a)the seraphim scu at the beginning regaining health quicker than 2 soul rippers and 2 battle ships and 4 destroys can damage it. and b) I then realised this and only used 3 scu's to destroy everything in the end base with the arch as nothing other than enemy scus could hurt them (had to use them to destroy the seraphim ones too as the same problem applied in reverse)
2) As the levels are applied 1 per tick after a unit is built shields can take an enormous amount of damage as they level up to the right level as their shield health is constantly reset allowing T2 shields to last a very long time in an emergency deployment

Great mod to play though so thanks!

Shadow
Shadow Night Black

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: ShadowNightBlack

Postby Domino » 27 Oct 2013, 21:30

check for
bp.Physics
first it could well be that the crash is occuring because the table doesnt exist in a projectile bp.

for id,bp in all_bps.Projectile do
   if bp.Physics then
      if bp.Physics.Lifetime then
         bp.Physics.Lifetime = bp.Physics.Lifetime * RangeScale
      else
         bp.Physics.Lifetime = 30
      end
   else
      bp.Physics = {}
      bp.Physics.Lifetime = 30
   end
end

with bp editing its always best to check a bp table exists before adding to it.
this might not fix it, but its better coding etiquette
Domino
Priest

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 75 times

Postby seiya » 28 Oct 2013, 05:05

You are right Domino about best practices, but something about Shadow Night's comments got me thinking and with the offending code enabled, I could run other maps without a crash. There is something about that one map in coop that causes that crash. Nothing in the code for it accesses projectiles or any blueprints so it is a real head scratcher. The only possibility is that it is related to a large number of threads running at once, but even that is unlikely since the startup code for the map and the mod do not do that much at startup there.

I am going to have to look into the SCUs Shadow. I thought I had the double level up bug fixed for them. I will sit down and play that level in the coop setting. In normal campaign mode, that is one of the hardest levels to get past the first and third sections (the second was only a couple of minutes due to some good pre-planning), but I did not see the first Seraphim SCU last all the long.

The shields... I didnt think they were that bad, even though I had seen what you were describing. I probably should try and get them to play nice again, but there is actually a lot that needs to be changed to get them to scale right. The reason I do it at 1 tick intervals now is that the delay when starting each phase, you would have up to a minute delay before it would start if I did all the leveling in one go. With the interval method, you get a much smaller delay.
seiya
Crusader

Postby seiya » 28 Oct 2013, 08:42

Yeah, inserting the check there does fix it Domino, however, I am fairly certain the fault is not mine at the root. The reason being this error exists in all versions of the coop:

warning: Error running lua script: ...rever\gamedata\lobby_coop.cop\lua\ui\lobby\lobby.lua(5148): attempt to call method `SetText' (a nil value)
         stack traceback:
            ...rever\gamedata\lobby_coop.cop\lua\ui\lobby\lobby.lua(5148): in function `StressCPU'
            ...rever\gamedata\lobby_coop.cop\lua\ui\lobby\lobby.lua(3657): in function <...rever\gamedata\lobby_coop.cop\lua\ui\lobby\lobby.lua:3657>

This is coupled with immediately afterwards a custom BluePrints.lua (which is used for sea wreckage)is being used and it overwrites the standard one. It does not hook it at all. On a guess, the map invulnerable gunships in the opening are combining with the wreckage code and with my projectile code (plane wreckage is a projectile) and puking.

I will put out an update that fixes my part after I get the SCU scaling fixed (I already know how to), and do something about those shields. Wont be tonight, but it should be soon-ish.
seiya
Crusader

Next

Return to Mods & Tools