Advanced Strategic Icons mod

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Advanced strategic icons mod

Postby Aulex » 10 Dec 2013, 22:51

maxareuos wrote:
Aulex wrote:Pretty cool mod, i'm trying it out right now, but i have one issue with it, i know it's one of your mod features, but the size of the icons are pretty large, is it possible to make the size adjustable or can you release a smaller version. Keep up the good work!

These icons were designed for high resolutions in mind where things get realy small, did you check that your resolution is the on the highest setting? The higher the resolution - the smaller the icons would get.

The strategic decision to go on the current size was planned in advance, it was made to overcome the fact that supreme commander is not DPI aware, making every icon exaggeratedly small on high resolutions and causing alot of eyestrain.
Unfortunately there is no smaller version in my kitchen. creating a new icon set requires weeks of work.
if i tried to make a smaller version, I'll have to re-draw and repair all the icons from the start, requiring exaggerated time and effort just so that a small amount of people could play on a 10 years old computers or a very small screens.

I'm using a 1080p screen, so i don't think it's my monitor resolution.
"Let's start beating ass and die" - drunk TA4Life

"Just because you have a d*** doesn't mean you need to be one...pussy" -Blackdeath

SCOUTING SAVES LIVES
http://imgur.com/YGk0W0o

How to play Sup Com by Ubilaz
http://goo.gl/je83z
Aulex
Contributor

Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: VoR_Aulex

Postby Krapougnak » 11 Dec 2013, 08:49

Fernest wrote:I'd like to try this mod, but can't install it.
I must do the manual installation (got FA from steam and the installer does not find the steam folder)
After extraction I got "Advanced strategic icons.nxt", but the folder (\gamedata) is full of .SCD -files
I extracted it into \gamedata and restarted the game, but nothings happens. It is not listed in Mods and no changes are seen in the game.

How do I install it manually?

Try renaming it .scd or otherwise rename it .zip extract the files and put them in the mod folder.
Krapougnak
Contributor

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: Krapougnak

Postby Shadows » 11 Dec 2013, 19:03

Fernest wrote:I'd like to try this mod, but can't install it.
I must do the manual installation (got FA from steam and the installer does not find the steam folder)
After extraction I got "Advanced strategic icons.nxt", but the folder (\gamedata) is full of .SCD -files
I extracted it into \gamedata and restarted the game, but nothings happens. It is not listed in Mods and no changes are seen in the game.

How do I install it manually?

this mod was made to run on the FAF platform.
you can enforce it to work with SupCom alone by renaming the extension from '.nxt' to '.scd' and putting the file in the gamedata folder that is inside the main 'Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance' folder.
Edit: Current version [2.2] supports Steam.
Last edited by Shadows on 15 Jan 2014, 05:49, edited 2 times in total.
Shadows

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: Shadows

Postby Hully » 11 Dec 2013, 20:28

Hi

I've had the issue, as I have it installed under Steam.

I have finally got it to work, here's where mine is installed :E:\Users\Hully\Documents\My Games\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\mods

Don't forget to changed it to ".scd"

Hope this helps good luck.
Hully

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Hully

Postby Shadows » 12 Dec 2013, 00:50

My Forged-Alliance copy was not installed from steam so i couldn't ensure compatibility with it. could you please past your main FA's folder path that reside inside Steam?
Shadows

Postby Hully » 12 Dec 2013, 01:23

Hi not sure how this helps but...

E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance

Just where you would expect it to be? There is no mod folder here though.
Hully

Postby Shadows » 12 Dec 2013, 12:10

Never mind about that, I've installed steam and started performing tests about it's workings.
It's about time i'll do something about Steam compatibility as it's becaming the only way to buy the game.
Shadows

Postby Hully » 12 Dec 2013, 14:47

Well, I installed my copy of the game and then just registered it with steam using my key sorted.

Mod is working just fine, the more games I play the more I need it lol it's just great.

The Mod does not show under the Mod list but it works.

Thx
Hully

Postby Shadows » 13 Dec 2013, 10:31

Version 2.2 is ready for testing, bringing Steam compatibility, Standalone compatibility, Pixelation elimination for submarines, Thicker symbol outlines for power plants and a better installer with a new help button and an informative status bar.

With a lot of new features coming in; the installer reentered it's experimental stage and not exactly ready for prime time so i'll put it here to cool off with some testers who have the mass and energy.
Be sure to press the "Uninstall" button to remove older versions beforehand.
Let me know about any issue. :ugeek:

Advanced Strategic Icons 2.2.zip
Open the zip file and run the automatic one-click installer.
(243.12 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Shadows

Postby Martin_PL » 14 Dec 2013, 10:51

Hi.

I've played this mod a couple of days and... i've returned to original. Why? Because new are too big.
I use 1680x1050 monitor. Its unplayable on this. Icons cover each other.

Is it possible to prepare version for "medium" resolutions? Something between v 2.1 and original?
New icons are very easy-to-read, but just unplayable on medium res. Original are... you all know - just bad.

So if you wolud have free time - please consider making something for medium res.
Martin_PL

Has liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Martin_PL

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools