Advanced Strategic Icons mod

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Advanced Strategic Icons mod

Postby nine2 » 24 Apr 2016, 06:15

It's just a zip full of images,
1 rename to zip,
2 unzip,
3 edit them, Shadows must have spent forever doing this.
4 rezip, retain same file name <-- important
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Shadows » 12 May 2016, 21:25

I still have second thoughts about the yellow power generators. My concern is that their symbol's color is too similar to the color of the mass deposits and mass extractors, making it a little confusing to differentiate at a glance. Should I change it back to white?
Shadows

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: Shadows

Postby mirroredwang » 20 May 2016, 21:32

Shadows wrote:I still have second thoughts about the yellow power generators. My concern is that their symbol's color is too similar to the color of the mass deposits and mass extractors, making it a little confusing to differentiate at a glance. Should I change it back to white?

Thats not bad, my gripe with this mod is that it makes everything stand out more, so you cant differentiate the icons from one another better or worse than in vanilla. I had the suggestion to use the mod only for special units and buildings, not "spam"
mirroredwang

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Topkack

Postby Shadows » 22 May 2016, 18:24

mirroredwang wrote:
Shadows wrote:I still have second thoughts about the yellow power generators. My concern is that their symbol's color is too similar to the color of the mass deposits and mass extractors, making it a little confusing to differentiate at a glance. Should I change it back to white?

Thats not bad, my gripe with this mod is that it makes everything stand out more, so you cant differentiate the icons from one another better or worse than in vanilla. I had the suggestion to use the mod only for special units and buildings, not "spam"

Define "spam".
In a match there is usually a relatively small number structures but hundreds of mobile units.
With the ASI mod, all mobile units have regular icons while only structures have unique, color marked icons.
Now, you might consider a few structures to be more important than others in your eyes but believe me that for most structures there is a specific time that they seem more important then others.

a radar or a tactical launcher can be extremely important to notice earlier in the game and can be the difference between winning and losing. Think about all the games that are played mostly in the Tech1 phase, T2 point defences can become the most devastating structures on the map as they can erase entire squadrons and even bases when used right.

Shadows

Postby alfmas » 25 Jul 2016, 16:29

Hey, terrific work. New icons are great.

The best one is the Nuke icon. If i have to make an observation: the Nuke def icon, i stills dont recognize very well when im in battle, still cant deside is the color you used or the symbol.
alfmas
Crusader

Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Only_Desert

Postby Shadows » 17 Aug 2016, 20:03

alfmas wrote:Hey, terrific work. New icons are great.

The best one is the Nuke icon. If i have to make an observation: the Nuke def icon, i stills dont recognize very well when im in battle, still cant deside is the color you used or the symbol.
Maybe it's the size.
Shadows

Postby Zappa » 08 Dec 2016, 21:21

Shadows wrote:
mirroredwang wrote:

Define "spam".
In a match there is usually a relatively small number structures but hundreds of mobile units.
With the ASI mod, all mobile units have regular icons while only structures have unique, color marked icons.
Now, you might consider a few structures to be more important than others in your eyes but believe me that for most structures there is a specific time that they seem more important then others.

a radar or a tactical launcher can be extremely important to notice earlier in the game and can be the difference between winning and losing. Think about all the games that are played mostly in the Tech1 phase, T2 point defences can become the most devastating structures on the map as they can erase entire squadrons and even bases when used right.

Hi Shadows, big thanks for your work!

Your arguments above are valid, but I came here to ask the same thing as mirroredwang: it would be great to add an option to the installer that allows us to enable strategic icons for particular units. I too am interested mainly in game enders, and have no problem discerning lower tier units. Even if I'm not right about that, I am preferential to maintaining more of a vanilla look than the default installation. But if it's a big hassle for you, no problem. Maybe I can simply edit the installed archive and remove some icons?
Zappa
Crusader

Been liked: 8 times

Postby ZeRen » 09 Dec 2016, 10:35

Zappa wrote:Your arguments above are valid, but I came here to ask the same thing as mirroredwang: it would be great to add an option to the installer that allows us to enable strategic icons for particular units. I too am interested mainly in game enders, and have no problem discerning lower tier units. Even if I'm not right about that, I am preferential to maintaining more of a vanilla look than the default installation. But if it's a big hassle for you, no problem. Maybe I can simply edit the installed archive and remove some icons?

why? that must be a lot of work, you can do it your self and dont need any skill

I can help you if you want
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby achiraaz » 29 Jan 2017, 17:19

Hey Just a question. I am trying to use this mod with the native FAF client on Arch Linux. However I have a problem with the installer. I was wondering if there is an alternative.
Annihilnine pointed out that it can be unzipped to a folder with a load of pictures. Where should these pictures be dropped?
achiraaz
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Achiraaz

Postby achiraaz » 31 Jan 2017, 23:06

Found out how. Luckily it wasnt that hard. In the end it was a matter of 1 directory that had to be copied into the FAF installation folder.
The thing causing me trouble was that even though the installer claimed otherwise, the icons were not installed into the FAF installation itself on windows.

So I had to go and find the following folder:
C:\Users\<myUser>\ProgramData\FAForever\gamedata

And copy the contents into
~/FAForever/gamedata

I deleted everything inside the gamedata folder on linux before copying. I do not know if this is necessary or if an override is just as good.
achiraaz
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Achiraaz

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools